8 tips for Improving Lyricism

• Thread starter TestamentRapper
  • Start date
T

TestamentRapper

If you plan to write your own stuff, it requires lyricism. If you plan to use someone else's stuff, that's cool too but in that case whoever wrote it for you needs lyricism. If you are not naturally a gifted lyricist these are a few tips that can help you. FEEL FREE to add to this lists in your response if I've left anything out.

1. PRACTICE!!!!

2. Write poetry. It will keep you remembering that it is art. Studying different poets and their style can also give you ideas on how to format your verses. I'm not saying you need to write in iambic pentameter or anything like that, but a consistent and a cool rhyme scheme can really enhance a track. On the same note identifying which rhyme scheme you naturally use can allow you to have combinations of different ones.

3. Freestyle often. In true freestyling you are forced to think of lines on the fly. You don't have very much time to create. Getting good at this will basically take away the majority of your writer's block. Amazing singles have been born simply out of a random freestyle. It may make your ears bleed at first, but continuing to hone this skill can lead to quality verses done right the first time. Don't be afraid it sounds stupid and awkward the first few times. If it bothers you that much practice this in a place where no one can hear you. Or a game to practice this might be have a group of lyricists/rappers stand in a circle, call out a topic, and trade fours all while freestyling. You probably already know what trading fours is so I won't define it.

4. Know the topic that you want to rap about very well. Knowing it inside and out will allow you to write lyrics about different perspectives on it, use clever plays on words, etc. A deeper understanding can equal a more developed and complete thought because the more you know the topic the more you can put into your verse. At the same time a shaky understanding can lead to misrepresentation and a very shallow verse.

5. This may be boring, but learn how to write a beginning, middle, and an end. Each verse is a story or a concept, and you want it to go somewhere. This could involve stating something, maybe a short definition, and most importantly a strong conclusion to each verse. In a verse that is meant to go with an intense beat a line that is equally as intense would be best. On softer songs a lyric that is equally as catchy yet consistent with the feel of the entire piece is good. Remember that staying stagnant makes it boring.

6. Learn when to add words and when to take them away. On one hand it is not an English paper so you do not need every word to be there. You can take words out and can write grammatically incorrectly if it rhymes or sounds better that way. At the same time when writing lyrics for a song with very fast lyrics with a constant flow you want to be able to adds words if necessary to avoid unnecessary and unskillful pauses.
7. Be real with your lyrics. Write in a way that listeners can identify with. This might mean referencing a problem that most people are dealing with, or maybe just being honest about the topic. Even if the lyrics and flow are tight I know I personally tend not to like people who pose.

8. Find a trusted friend who can edit your work. Preferably another lyricist, or someone who is good with words and can think quickly. They can identify when filler is being used, or where a different rhyme can be used to tighten up your lyrics. They can also see when a lyric is too cliche or too similarly written to stuff written by other people. They can help you say the same thing in your own way. Remember that books, screenplays, and even instrumentals are edited by their respective personnel before being released to the public. Your ideas are good, but they can be even better.

Random example of a track of mine.
Testament-My God is Love - YouTube

Awesome list ! I always thought freestyling is the best way cause it gets your mind in the right state for writing lyrics.

No problem bro. Anytime. If I figure out any more I will be sure to update the post. Thanks for reading!

I used to write various things, i never wrote lyrics of the songs ever, now i learned here.I will star writing lyrics soon.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Pretty basic stuff but good post. I would like to add freestyling does not make you better at writing lyrics, theres a strong disconnect between writing and speech in the brain (there have been a few cases where people have had the speech part of their brain destroyed and still been able to write, viceversa) it may however get you in a creative mind state which will boost your efforts when writing, or occasionally you might spit a line that sparks an idea for a song. A lot of rappers now days don't freestyle because battling isn't as prevalent as it once was.

Not trying to kill the vibe of the thread...but we're in a wierd world when people look to the net for tips on how to spit. That's something you should learn on a corner you shouldn't be sitting on at 10 years old knowing if ya moms come home from work early you gonna get your azz whupped...or in a school lunch room while dudes are banging out beats on trash cans or lunchtables. Or when a cypher is going on and the chick you like is impressed by the others jumping in, so you go in knowing NOTHING.

This shyt isn't rocket science.

Last edited:
No problem whatsoever. Like I said if you have anything to add to the list then just reply again.

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

With all due respect I disagree with you. While nothing beats out going out and figuring things out for yourself, you're liable to end up spending a lot more time and energy than you really need to without some sort of correction. That's like saying don't look at the directions for a 24 channel soundboard. From personal experience it was much easier to mix after learning how to actually do it rather than guessing and checking to see what sounds better. That being said I thought it was pretty self explanatory that actually applying these tips was needed for any improvement. It wouldn't be logical to say that if you never actually tried any of these tips that you would ever improve. Thanks for the input and very sorry for the confusion.

No, a 24 channel soundboard is piece of equipment with busses, sends, auxs, wires that need connecting to other equipment, and multiple functions and techniques to acheive results you want. While you can play with it til you get it, there are indeed rules to making it correctly work.

Rap can be done by a 4 year old who's never done it before if they are familiar with fundamentals that can be learned thru simply listening to hip hop and surrounding yourself in the culture. You got rappers who don't even make words rhyme(Petey Pablo, Masta Killa). There's no rules or techniques to this shyt beyond what you apply to making yourself sound good. Dudes come up with styles sittin in jail with a 6th grade education or in the corner of a crackhouse while they cuttin dope and you're trying to bring logistics and pie charts into the equasion? It's just rapping.

FPers amaze me with the things they think are taught in books and thru seminars. Rap is not one of them. You'll do alot more for yourself throwing on a pair of headphones to learn fundamentals than reading tips on the net.

People think otherwise because they don't have the natural ability(that anyone thinking about being a rapper should have)to do so with out instructional strategies thrown on a website.

Last edited:
No, a 24 channel soundboard is piece of equipment with busses, sends, auxs, wires that need connecting to other equipment, and multiple functions and techniques to acheive results you want. While you can play with it til you get it, there are indeed rules to making it correctly work.

Rap can be done by a 4 year old who's never done it before if they are familiar with fundamentals that can be learned thru simply listening to hip hop and surrounding yourself in the culture. You got rappers who don't even make words rhyme(Petey Pablo, Masta Killa). There's no rules or techniques to this shyt beyond what you apply to making yourself sound good. Dudes come up with styles sittin in jail with a 6th grade education or in the corner of a crackhouse while they cuttin dope and you're trying to bring logistics and pie charts into the equasion? It's just rapping.

FPers amaze me with the things they think are taught in books and thru seminars. Rap is not one of them. You'll do alot more for yourself throwing on a pair of headphones to learn fundamentals than reading tips on the net.

People think otherwise because they don't have the natural ability(that anyone thinking about being a rapper should have)to do so with out instructional strategies thrown on a website.

This. Seriously.

No problem. I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I am definitely a pretty skilled lyricist. (and rapper, for the record. ;))

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

I was thinking the same thing about that post lol. I'd respond, but now that I think about it I have a lot more important things to do. While I do love a good quarrel I have too many things I'm working on now to be hindered.

Back