3 Skills I Think Every Modern Producer of this Gen. Should Know

your skills are definitely required. as well as a good ear, and tons of creativity. No one wants to hear the same thing over again. Stand by your production as well. Good post though. I was looking for those same neo-soul rhodes the other day haha

After reading a flame war on Future Producers about producers giving out beats for free and ruining the industry I believe that producers need to stop giving beats away for free. If we all start selling our beats then rappers would be forced to pay for them or make there own :|
(some just need to stop)

Also you should buy your software because that is just as bad as pirating music. Or pirating microsoft or apple. They gave their time to make something and they deserve money. Just like producers! Look at it this way

Producer gets BEST mastering plugin from piratebay
Producer sells beat to rapper for $1000
rapper gets signed and the song makes millions

Why is it that the company making the plugin, that gained you millions, is not getting paid?

Nothing matters EXCEPT being able to deliver a polished and well rounded finished product. That's all that's ever mattered.

You can work alongside instrumentalists and mixing engineers. You can use 808s, make trap beats, or do something never heard before...

but nothing will matter except the finished product.

Everything else discussed is people trying to convince themselves if they do more they'll get further, in actuality the advice will go to the heads of guys who bottleg FL, a Waves bundle, and research chord sheets on the net so they can half azz play keys, half azz mix, half azz design a sound from a preset, half azz make some shyt that is just out of place but play it off by saying "it ain't trap", and think they've got an advantage over a guy who's great at delivering a finalized product for said consumer by any means.

You will come up short everytime. At least you made no real investment. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Nothing matters EXCEPT being able to deliver a polished and well rounded finished product. That's all that's ever mattered.

You can work alongside instrumentalists and mixing engineers. You can use 808s, make trap beats, or do something never heard before...

but nothing will matter except the finished product.

Everything else discussed is people trying to convince themselves if they do more they'll get further, in actuality the advice will go to the heads of guys who bottleg FL, a Waves bundle, and research chord sheets on the net so they can half azz play keys, half azz mix, half azz design a sound from a preset, half azz make some shyt that is just out of place but play it off by saying "it ain't trap", and think they've got an advantage over a guy who's great at delivering a finalized product for said consumer by any means.

You will come up short everytime. At least you made no real investment. :rolleyes:

So you're saying, "make a great house and no one will care what brand of hammers you used?"

^^^^^Alright, I understand your views now.

And if you are referring to the flame wars I described, I honestly believe that pirating is a big problem. It contributes to a lot of things in society, good and bad. I think it should be stopped but isn't possible to stop.

1. Business/Legal skills including: setting up llc/corporations, bank accounts, tax id's, copyrights, liscensing, merchandising, registering websites, email software, daily/weekly/monthly bookkeeping+accounting, publishing companies, ascap/bmi accounts, vendor accounts, sub contracting work, leases, contracts, split sheets, notary publics, lawyers, managers, promoters, joint ventures, prommisary notes, people/communication skills, sales craft, hustle ect.ect.ect.

2.Entertainment Development: developing a complete composition(beats and or songs), ability to critique+develop vocal work, sound design, familiarity in an audio enviornment analog or digital...large venue or mobile, intimate knowlge of mixing and mastering processes(don't need to be an engineer at it but know the relevant processesneeded for your type of music)

3.Ability to adapt to change and changing to adapt: switch artist, switch sounds, switch genre's, switch names, switch towns, switch styles, switch DAWS, switch slang, switch banks, switch venues, switch computer's, switch wardrobe, switch women, switch cars, switch blades ect.ect.ect.....STAY RELEVANT!!

Last edited:
alot of the stuff your saying is nice on paper but not actually the truth.. You think lex luger, southside etc could read sheet music..? I def don't lol.. And as far as mixing.. What's professional.. ? You mean a radio quality mix which is done in millionaire dollar studios with equipment most of us can't afford or using basic mixing equipemnt like ozone and waves and making stuff sound decent?
pretty much

All you need is fruity loops......real talk. They made all of that stuff simple. Hell....I was messing with beatmaker for the iphone............no skills needed....no mastering needed.

One thing I can't stand......is when dudes hear the warm crunch of a growling electric piano and they say..."it sounds O.K but it's clipping...try and keep it down below 0 dbz.

Sound gooderizer.....problem solved. Mixing and mastering is overrated. What I mean by that is that you will get so deep into the technical stuff that you turn into a brat when you hear other shit. But the whole time you are learning from what a book say...common sense and "musical talent" would've got you there sooner. If it sounds good...it is good. And whatever sounds the best...1,000 other things sound better mixwise to you as you keep diggin deep. Then you get to apoint where you don't like older mixers from the 70s because it's noisy...then you try to get loud as possible...then you realize that you needed more than just that slammed mix....then you realize that your mixes were no good after all of that learning...then you get some monitors and and go.."wow this is what I've been missing".....then your mixes suck in a new way because you trying to get everything as clean as possible...then after you missunderstand putting everything in it's own space by eqing the hell out of it, you realize that your stuff from a while back sounded fuller after all..just clipping and bad choice of sounds...then you spend tons and tons of money....cough...my bad illegal downloading the best so called sounds....then you start making beats that take an hour instead of 5 minutes because you are learning more about picking the right sounds....then you kick your self because you wasted all of that time listening to other people's opionion of how to get a good mix..because now as time passes by you have developed an ear for how you want things to sound before you start.......then some EDM asswhole has a mix that is loud ass fuuck....and now you back to reading about mastering again...then you download every single got damn brickwall maximizing blow your head off plug in that you can find.....then you make post about why this limiter sucks because the new one you bought has better presets....now your hip hop beats sound like some EDM shit and the vocals are choking to death...and you are very satisfied because it sounds just as loud as that EDM asswhole's shit you tried to compete with (his has n vocals).....then you make your own preset in a DAW so you can blow that sumbiitch away....then you go to sites like gearslutz FP, youtube and post your music with this look on your face
20343206.jpg

...then some other guy who never knew what a limiter was post his music and it's filled with comments...the guy performs live...makes money as a musician, has a great following in his region of the map, has edicated fans...but his music sounds so tiny to you....then you have this face
dumb-and-dumber.jpg

then you listen to billboard music that ain't EDM type stuff and you say "fuuck it".......then years later you start not appreciating mix and master engineers because they all seem to be making the same mistakes as you......then you finally get the hang of things and you talk shit about engineers because you know how you want the shit to sound...then you end up with shit that you feel you could've done yourself with the wack ass rapper you teamed up with who decided to do things his way for the product.....then some rapper talking big shit about his mixtape and how much he paid to get it done let's you hear it and your like "ewwww....next mixtape I'll mix it for you for $100 since they charged $50/song for that crap ass mix job"....then the mixtape you mixed becomes a success and you get call to mix someones album......then that album becomes a success and now you are becoming the man in the mixing world......then after years of mixing you comeback to the forums and some punk ass dude is posting saying......"mixes today suck....so and so records man...I don't see how they sell like they d with mixes like that WTF"......then you say to yourself "kiss my ass MFer...I worked hard to get where I'm at".....then you think back to when you used to make beats and dream of being a big time producer.......

Learning sound design is cool.........but not a necessity.......what you have....some old ass 80's analogue synthesizer? Presets > . Tweaking a sound.....different story.

A midi keyboard is an instrument. DAWs like Live is an instrument....I use cubase as an instrument sometimes. I agree.

Last edited:
All you need is fruity loops......real talk. They made all of that stuff simple. Hell....I was messing with beatmaker for the iphone............no skills needed....no mastering needed.

One thing I can't stand......is when dudes hear the warm crunch of a growling electric piano and they say..."it sounds O.K but it's clipping...try and keep it down below 0 dbz.

Sound gooderizer.....problem solved. Mixing and mastering is overrated. What I mean by that is that you will get so deep into the technical stuff that you turn into a brat when you hear other shit. But the whole time you are learning from what a book say...common sense and "musical talent" would've got you there sooner. If it sounds good...it is good. And whatever sounds the best...1,000 other things sound better mixwise to you as you keep diggin deep. Then you get to apoint where you don't like older mixers from the 70s because it's noisy...then you try to get loud as possible...then you realize that you needed more than just that slammed mix....then you realize that your mixes were no good after all of that learning...then you get some monitors and and go.."wow this is what I've been missing".....then your mixes suck in a new way because you trying to get everything as clean as possible...then after you missunderstand putting everything in it's own space by eqing the hell out of it, you realize that your stuff from a while back sounded fuller after all..just clipping and bad choice of sounds...then you spend tons and tons of money....cough...my bad illegal downloading the best so called sounds....then you start making beats that take an hour instead of 5 minutes because you are learning more about picking the right sounds....then you kick your self because you wasted all of that time listening to other people's opionion of how to get a good mix..because now as time passes by you have developed an ear for how you want things to sound before you start.......then some EDM asswhole has a mix that is loud ass fuuck....and now you back to reading about mastering again...then you download every single got damn brickwall maximizing blow your head off plug in that you can find.....then you make post about why this limiter sucks because the new one you bought has better presets....now your hip hop beats sound like some EDM shit and the vocals are choking to death...and you are very satisfied because it sounds just as loud as that EDM asswhole's shit you tried to compete with (his has n vocals).....then you make your own preset in a DAW so you can blow that sumbiitch away....then you go to sites like gearslutz FP, youtube and post your music with this look on your face
20343206.jpg

...then some other guy who never knew what a limiter was post his music and it's filled with comments...the guy performs live...makes money as a musician, has a great following in his region of the map, has edicated fans...but his music sounds so tiny to you....then you have this face
dumb-and-dumber.jpg

then you listen to billboard music that ain't EDM type stuff and you say "fuuck it".......then years later you start not appreciating mix and master engineers because they all seem to be making the same mistakes as you......then you finally get the hang of things and you talk shit about engineers because you know how you want the shit to sound...then you end up with shit that you feel you could've done yourself with the wack ass rapper you teamed up with who decided to do things his way for the product.....then some rapper talking big shit about his mixtape and how much he paid to get it done let's you hear it and your like "ewwww....next mixtape I'll mix it for you for $100 since they charged $50/song for that crap ass mix job"....then the mixtape you mixed becomes a success and you get call to mix someones album......then that album becomes a success and now you are becoming the man in the mixing world......then after years of mixing you comeback to the forums and some punk ass dude is posting saying......"mixes today suck....so and so records man...I don't see how they sell like they d with mixes like that WTF"......then you say to yourself "kiss my ass MFer...I worked hard to get where I'm at".....then you think back to when you used to make beats and dream of being a big time producer.......

Learning sound design is cool.........but not a necessity.......what you have....some old ass 80's analogue synthesizer? Presets > . Tweaking a sound.....different story.

A midi keyboard is an instrument. DAWs like Live is an instrument....I use cubase as an instrument sometimes. I agree.

This made me LOL so hard lmaoooooooo!, but nah you have a point, I honestly just wanna be well rounded and diverse incase of situations of collaborations with Top notch Super Producers, feel me?

Back