3 Skills I Think Every Modern Producer of this Gen. Should Know

JustChadMichael

The Scientist!
1) Sound Design

Think about it...You'd be the baddest Producer EVER of your genre, if you could design your own signature sounds, synths, leads and FX that every body is looking for, not to mention you'd be even bad ass at tweaking sounds to your liking in VSTs like Nexus or Hypersonic.

2) Learn to actually play an instrument

I played the Trumpet back in junior high, I should've learned how to play the piano though. All Producers should learn how to play the Piano imo, it's the actual Bread and butter to anything you produce. I'm actually teaching myself how to play the piano fluently now by watching videos on youtube and practicing in FL studios, tryna compose songs now instead of just "making beats", but yo... MIDI keyboard all day son :l

3) Mixing & Mastering your tracks professionally

Basically cut out the middle man from Engineering your tracks, save you some money and time, We are talking alot of money you're saving btw. You can make, mix AND master your tracks in one take and they can be CD/Mp3 ready for that artist to record over and be the next street single or Billboard single, Grade A+ flawless production from your very own hands from behind your DAW of choice from your Mom's living room, imagine...

These are skills I think every producer should bother to learn, I'm only saying this because I'm actually doing all this in my producing career as of now.

Mod edit: Piracy talk is not allowed on the boards.

Moderator out!

Communication
Likeability
Balls

This will let you succeed at pretty much anything regardless of your skills

Last edited:
JustChad made 3 GREAT points to become a COMPLETE PRODUCER! I also like the comments about 808s and Trap Music.

Why would you prefer to not buy softwares, then most rappers will prefer to not buy your beats. Buy or use the free stuff it pays to invest.

Ok, in regards to tip #1, I am pretty sure you cant tweak the synth sound in nexus 2, maybe nexus 1? And when I say the sound I mean as in the oscillator that is generating the wave form. You can tweak with reverb delay filter attack etc, but not the shape of the wave/oscillator? If I am wrong please let me know because I have been using nexus 2 in some of my tracks but i cant seem a way to change the oscillator values etc. If you really want to get into sound design buy Reaktor 5 and learn how to create your own synths/vsti's. That thing is incredible for sound design. Abysnth 5 is another cool one.

Communication
Likeability
Balls

This will lets you succeed at pretty much anything regardless of your skills

not with 808s
lmfaoooooo

---------- Post added at 02:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 AM ----------

​Bullshit advice from another bum beatmaker. Step your game up, chomp!

lmfao @ chomp

---------- Post added at 05:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 AM ----------

Why would you prefer to not buy softwares, then most rappers will prefer to not buy your beats. Buy or use the free stuff it pays to invest.

At times but all of the major software designers behind these DAWs and Synths are loaded with cash, It shouldnt hurt to Download a synth or DAW or two for free and still pump out good music.

---------- Post added at 05:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 AM ----------

Ok, in regards to tip #1, I am pretty sure you cant tweak the synth sound in nexus 2, maybe nexus 1? And when I say the sound I mean as in the oscillator that is generating the wave form. You can tweak with reverb delay filter attack etc, but not the shape of the wave/oscillator? If I am wrong please let me know because I have been using nexus 2 in some of my tracks but i cant seem a way to change the oscillator values etc. If you really want to get into sound design buy Reaktor 5 and learn how to create your own synths/vsti's. That thing is incredible for sound design. Abysnth 5 is another cool one.

Ah, ya I meant tweak the already made presets in Nexus lol sorry, and actually there is a pretty cool online video school series on sound design on youtube, I actually subbed to them recently, Their channel is called "Dubspot", they're actually a Hands-on Music producing school in the heart of NYC, I'm thinking of signing up to further my knowledge, even though they teach anything that has to do with FL studios lol ._.

An excellent ear, great imagination, and the ability to convert those ideas you imagine into a song>>>>>

Everything else will fall into place....

Last edited:
1) sound design

think about it...you'd be the baddest producer ever of your genre, if you could design your own signature sounds, synths, leads and fx that every body is looking for, not to mention you'd be even bad ass at tweaking sounds to your liking in vsts like nexus or hypersonic.

2) learn to actually play an instrument

i played the trumpet back in junior high, i should've learned how to play the piano though. All producers should learn how to play the piano imo, it's the actual bread and butter to anything you produce. I'm actually teaching myself how to play the piano fluently now by watching videos on youtube and practicing in fl studios, tryna compose songs now instead of just "making beats", but yo... Midi keyboard all day son :l

3) mixing & mastering your tracks professionally

basically cut out the middle man from engineering your tracks, save you some money and time, we are talking alot of money you're saving btw. You can make, mix and master your tracks in one take and they can be cd/mp3 ready for that artist to record over and be the next street single or billboard single, grade a+ flawless production from your very own hands from behind your daw of choice from your mom's living room, imagine...

These are skills i think every producer should bother to learn, i'm only saying this because i'm actually doing all this in my producing career as of now. Like for instance i was looking all over the net to torren......!!............asfasdasfg...........................shhhh!.....

(they'll hear me! ._.) ..... >_>

<_<
>_>

.........to not purchase but still obtain a vst for ni's kontakt called neo soul keys...

Long story short, i attempted to actually design that creamy soulful rhodes sound from major neo soul r&b tracks on fls toxic biohazard (lolol), i actually did it but toxic has less effects and amps so i'm actually tweaking the sound now on nexus till i get it perfected :l

..i just refuse to pay for any softwa.........asdsfhasfsf........!!!!!!!......

..........ok, i'm out, bye....

Oh and yeah.. Let me know if you agree though, share your thoughts and views also any other skills you think producers of this gen. Should know as well!

Scientist out!

alot of the stuff your saying is nice on paper but not actually the truth.. You think lex luger, southside etc could read sheet music..? I def don't lol.. And as far as mixing.. What's professional.. ? You mean a radio quality mix which is done in millionaire dollar studios with equipment most of us can't afford or using basic mixing equipemnt like ozone and waves and making stuff sound decent?

You mean a radio quality mix which is done in millionaire dollar studios with equipment most of us can't afford or using basic mixing equipemnt like ozone and waves and making stuff sound decent?
ozone and waves plugins are used lots by the professionals in million dollar studios lol

waves shit costs about 50 grand for the full lot normally

ozone and waves plugins are used lots by the professionals in million dollar studios lol

waves shit costs about 50 grand for the full lot normally

well I know a lot of people pirate it lol.. but if their doing it right.. most of us wouldn't be able to afford the 50 k lol

Back