2 Things

tjustice

Should i read a book on music theory?? & also can i get anybody give me an exact desktop setup w, monitors & the computer that they would prefer?

1) yes
2) no - too many variable not known, mostly to do with budget but also to do with the room you will be working and the treatment it has already had done and the treatment it still requires

What is a simple set up i could get, not too expensive but something nice & easy?

Thats the same way of asking the question he already said he can't answer.

Do you plan on using MIDI, mics etc?? what are your goals/ ideas for what you want to do, budget, do you have a computer? specs? etc etc..

We can't build a house without knowing where its going.

Last edited:
I have a akai mpk mini. My goals are to become a better producer, & make a name for myself. Dont have a conputer. I need a monitor & a pc.Budget is below 500

I have a akai mpk mini. My goals are to become a better producer, & make a name for myself. Dont have a conputer. I need a monitor & a pc.Budget is below 500

Well I have some pretty bad news for ya buddy haha.

500 isn't gonna get ya started. When you say you need a monitor are you talking about studio monitors or a computer monitor? Im assuming you mean you need the computer tower and the monitor?

Obviously you're gonna need that before you even consider gear..soo..you shouldn't need us to tell you that you can't get a good enough computer for 500 bucks do you? I shouldn't say CANT..but you are gonna be doing a lot of bargain hunting. And thats only for the computer.

Once you get your computer technically you could just grab a cheap daw (reaper if money really is a problem, plus its a great daw don't let the low price fool you. The guy who made it is the guy who sold Win-Amp. He's a crazy good coder and just got bored one day and decided to make reaper, sells it for a really fair price) and get going from there. Worry about interfaces, speakers, headphones and stuff later.. Well you might need a cheap pair of headphones for tracking.. I wouldn't even worry about mixing yet, you're gonna be learning a lot about tracking first.

Last edited:
Well I have some pretty bad news for ya buddy haha.

500 isn't gonna get ya started. When you say you need a monitor are you talking about studio monitors or a computer monitor? Im assuming you mean you need the computer tower and the monitor?

Obviously you're gonna need that before you even consider gear..soo..you shouldn't need us to tell you that you can't get a good enough computer for 500 bucks do you? I shouldn't say CANT..but you are gonna be doing a lot of bargain hunting. And thats only for the computer.

Once you get your computer technically you could just grab a cheap daw (reaper if money really is a problem, plus its a great daw don't let the low price fool you. The guy who made it is the guy who sold Win-Amp. He's a crazy good coder and just got bored one day and decided to make reaper, sells it for a really fair price) and get going from there. Worry about interfaces, speakers, headphones and stuff later.. Well you might need a cheap pair of headphones for tracking.. I wouldn't even worry about mixing yet, you're gonna be learning a lot about tracking first.

How much would you say is an estimate to get started? & i do not mean 500 for everything, i mean splitting it up like finding a computer tower, then a conputer screen. I worded it wrong

How much would you say is an estimate to get started? & i do not mean 500 for everything, i mean splitting it up like finding a computer tower, then a conputer screen. I worded it wrong
Man..youve asked this question 3 times without elaborating on anything when its clearly been told that we NEED MORE INFO. You can't just ask how much it is to get started. We are back where we began now lol. If 500 ISNT your budget then what is. I can't just start telling you what to buy by guessing what you wanna spend. The starting range can vary a lot.

You going for desk top or laptop? I don't know a lot about desktop prices. Ive only even been interested in laptops.

But what I can tell you is your gonna want a Quad+ Core processor, preferably i7 but i5 will work. 8gb of ram at least, etc..but again..there isn't really much left to talk about here until you give me a budget...

So technically all you need to get STARTED is a computer.. Don't really need us to tell you the price for that.

Just make sure your specs are alright and get whatever you can find.

well you kinda gave me my answer so thanks. But as of now i am using a dell laptop & i just feel like so much is wrong with it but it works.

What exactly is wrong with the computer you're using now? It might just be the matter of making it work to its fullest for now.

well you kinda gave me my answer so thanks. But as of now i am using a dell laptop & i just feel like so much is wrong with it but it works.
coulda mentioned this before haha. Whats wrong with your laptop? it might be fine.

I feel like its not to its full potential. Somewhat slow, but still managable & i had this computer awhile ago not knowing i would get into producing so im not sure if my laptop is built with the proper equipment

I feel like its not to its full potential. Somewhat slow, but still managable & i had this computer awhile ago not knowing i would get into producing so im not sure if my laptop is built with the proper equipment

Talk about a thread full of vague answers haha. Why do you think its 'not to its full potential?' Could be as cheap as just upgrading the CPU and Ram and you'd be good to go. Any idea how much ram you have? It can't really be built with 'wrong equipment'.. just dated equipment

Last edited:
I feel like its not to its full potential. Somewhat slow, but still managable & i had this computer awhile ago not knowing i would get into producing so im not sure if my laptop is built with the proper equipment.

Not sure ill check. But i think thats the problem exactly. Lots of pop-ups. Just need to upgrade it

nothing to do with popups. but for that problem just google something called "Malwarebytes" or something like that, you'll recognize it. Its a free scanner, it'll get rid of all the annoying popups.

And yah, you will definitely be good just upgrading the ram to 8gb (if it isn't 8gb) and upgrading the cpu to a new Intel i7 quad core 2.3ghz+

Don't waste money on a new computer if you don't have to. But understand I'm just going by the information I am given, but it SOUNDS like all you need to do is get some newer insides for it.

Rams cheap these days anyway, could even go 16gb if you wanted.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help man!!
No problem, you probably missed my edit up there. I forgot how cheap Ram is these days, go 16gb if you can afford it. But 8 will be fine if not. I dunno the price difference i just know ram is cheap as hell.

Back