14-bit MIDI/NRPN: When to use it, Impact on Sound Quality

Libertine Lush

Hi everyone,

By chance, I recently encountered the concepts of 14-bit MIDI and NRPN. After some googling, I only have some fragments of understanding.

1) Are 14-bit MIDI and NRPN equivalent in their ability to accurately relay parameter tweaking?
2) At what points in the interaction with a DAW is it necessary to have 14-bit MIDI/NRPN? My understanding is that when recording to a MIDI track, then bouncing it to an Audio track, the resulting audio will reflect the 7-bit, 14-bit or NRPN resolution of the knobs tweaked from the MIDI track.

But what about this scenario?: If I monitor/record a synth's filter sweep to an Audio track, will the monitoring and recorded audio capture the filter in all its nuance, ignoring the MIDI resolution, since that's not what's being recorded?

3) Amongst better synths, is 14-bit MIDI/NRPN or some kind of interpolating used for the parameters that need that resolution, even when the rest of the pots/encoders are simply 7 bit MIDI?
4) If your synth/controller gives you the option to use 7-bit, 14-bit or NRPN, is there any good reason to use 7-bit instead? And if the choice is between 14-bit MIDI or NRPN, my guess, for a reason I can't say, is to use 14-bit MIDI.

Thank you for any help.

great question

14 bits gives you a finer granularity for a parameter and almost all of the first 21 controllers (controller numbers 0-31) controllers in the midi spec have 14 bit capability extended by using controller numbers 31-63 to improve the detailed control of a parameter: 7 bits times 7 bits = 128[sup]2[/sup] or 16384 positions per controller.

The issue is one of implementation; some synths/software do and some don't use the extended capabilities of 14 bit midi

Last edited:
nrpn is situated at controller numbers 98 and 99 so are just the same as any other controller having coarse and fine levels of control, iotw nrpn is 14 bit midi

Back