WTF!!!! is a Filler Track?

kontak80

I Moderate FP and shyt
This has to be the most retarded concept I've ever heard. I was having a conversation with this studio engineer cat I just met and we got on the topic of how CD's only offer a select few tracks worth listening to, thus leading to pirating on the internet and bootlegging. To my suprise, he was telling me that the majority of the majors he's worked with actually refer to those garbage tracks that we skip as, "filler tracks".

You know, I use to be an extreme "Anti-piracy nazi", but now after finding out that most major labels intentionally dish out CD's with 3-4 hits and the rest straight garbage, I could care less. :mad:

I just know that my company, Vth Element Recordings will never, ever, ever, ever include no damm "Filler Tracks"

I'm suprised this was new to you but, yeah. That's how it is.

Remember Making The Band, when they submitted tracks to Diddy, he was like, "Man, this is album [filler] stuff, I need to hear singles."

Last edited by a moderator:
Jos, you need to make room on your banner for, "Filler Tracks"

Filler Tracks will be the death of HipHop

Jos said:
Filler track == Chingy Album.

Jos

Jos....

Take Lil Jon out of that sig...

He is True to Hip Hop Form and BIGG MUTHAPHUKKIN' GOT DAMN ROME SAID SO !!!!

... when Hip Hop started there was Luther Campbell... a real pioneer of club music....

classics ... Throw dat D, Head, Booty and ...., Scarred....

... if you don't go to clubs .... and stay at home and watch TV...listen to radio...

... NO WORDS...

Lil Jon has provin' to be legit since...

BIA!!! BIA!!! Why you ackin' like a ....

EEEEEYYYYYEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this message has been brought to you by...

ClubHeadz International...
"WE KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO GET IT KRUNK!"

PS: If you wanna see who's wack... battle Bigg Rome ...

kontak80 said:
Filler Tracks will be the death of HipHop

what ISNT the death of hip hop anymore? this site is like the nightly news...everyday there's something new discovered that'll kill u. if old music is whats considered life, then of course thats dead. new hip hop is alive :o

[/rant off]

anyway, filler tracks suck and probably hurt all music and fans...not just hip hop. i guess i can understand it from a business point of view though. spreadin the money out. save some of those single-worthy tracks you just recorded to sell 3 mil for a future album in addition to this current one. but then again, everybody's thoughts on whats "filler" or what sucks might differ. for example, i like the "filler" on usher's latest album a lot more than the singles so far.

biggrome said:

Jos....

Take Lil Jon out of that sig...

He is True to Hip Hop Form and BIGG MUTHAPHUKKIN' GOT DAMN ROME SAID SO !!!!

... when Hip Hop started there was Luther Campbell... a real pioneer of club music....

classics ... Throw dat D, Head, Booty and ...., Scarred....

... if you don't go to clubs .... and stay at home and watch TV...listen to radio...

... NO WORDS...

Lil Jon has provin' to be legit since...

BIA!!! BIA!!! Why you ackin' like a ....

EEEEEYYYYYEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this message has been brought to you by...

ClubHeadz International...
"WE KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO GET IT KRUNK!"

PS: If you wanna see who's wack... battle Bigg Rome ...

It really seems like Rome wants to fight these days, huh?

SOmebody battle him!

Last edited:
lo tech said:

It really seems like Rome wants to fight these days, huh?

SOmebody battle him!

Rome is ALWAYZ hungry...(in and out of the studio) lmao

I agree with ya though homey, lil jon is the man. love that beat process he uses.

kontak80 said:

I just know that my company, Vth Element Recordings will never, ever, ever, ever include no damm "Filler Tracks"

Oh yes you will. Imagine making a CD of 15 hits, but only 3 of them make it to MTV while a 4th gets little to some rotation on Clear Channel? That's like 11 HIT SONGS that you've wasted on one damn album that could have been spread across another 3-4 albums.

You wouldn't want to use up your creative fuel for just one album right? The 15 hit idea was Puffy's first brainstorm for "No Way Out". He changed his mind at the last minute I guess.

Besides what was the last album to drop that had not 1, 2, or3, but 9 #1 hit songs????

Does Thriller mean anything to you? That's more than 20 years ago man.

Last edited:
that's kinda true in a sense. :(

as business it is making more and more sense. drop the real hits lil by lil as singles or shyt for movie soundtracks and singles licenced for movie theme trailer music.

ive heard of this before but it's still gay. say you have 15 songs that you've written worthy of single status. Now the label your with is going to say, "ok that perfect. let's make it 5 singles per album". thats means pretty much your next 3 albums are going to sound the same and your favorite track might not get heard for a long time. thats just crap. the more i think about it, the more and more this .... aint for me.

well singles bring people top buy the cd. just get a club song... then drop a serious song and then drop a gangsta song...like 50 cent... first single, in da club, most played song on the radio in history, then 21 qustions, love song that also went to number one, and then drop a song like pimp, kinda gangsta. and the rust on his album was alote more gangsta.

thefuzmixman said:
the more i think about it, the more and more this .... aint for me.

peace. more room for hot trax

i have a problem with making stuff lately that i dont feel is the sh.t though. i dont think i could turn out a song and be cool with saying "ok, this can just be an album cut". i'd like to see a couple 15 hit albums one day from the same person if its possible, but i can understand why they wouldnt wanna do it.

OsamaPigLatin said:
Filler Tracks = More justifiable reason to download Lloyd Banks shyt.

Highly dissapointed.

well alote of his tracks arnt single worth but they are hott tho. buyin the cd is worth it.

"filler tracks" is a term used by people who KNOW they can't make a classic album.

THREAD CLOSED. :cheers:

happy 4th of the july fp.com. i'm "fillin" my stomach with brew ass we speak.

This post no longer exists.

-Geoffrey.

OsamaPigLatin said:

Oh yes you will. Imagine making a CD of 15 hits, but only 3 of them make it to MTV while a 4th gets little to some rotation on Clear Channel? That's like 11 HIT SONGS that you've wasted on one damn album that could have been spread across another 3-4 albums.

it's not filler material or hits. Fillers are worthless songs thrown together with little effort. Someone else in this thread said they liked Usher's filler more than his singles.Probably cuz the guy aint got much filler on there.Just because it's not a commercial track doesn't mean it's filler.

Another thing to think about is that The music market in Europe and other Non USA markets are commonly based on singles and EPs. Someone who has a hot track,but doesn't have the talent to come up with an album will tour with that single,make their money and hopefully come back and do it again.In the greedy US industry, an artist has a hot track, but doesn't have the talent to make a whole album, they won't put out a single or EP,they'll put out an album loaded with filler.Or the alternative is to spend a few years to come up with a good album,but no quick profit there.

As a music maker and artist, I won't hesitate to put out an EP, even on the national level, if I can do it independently. I think that is something that needs to be pushed in the US music market. Then we can have billboard have a chart for EPs. Look at most albums you've bought,Cut the filler out and you'd have a smokin EP that could have sold triple at a lower price point.Quality over quantity, then make up for it in volume.

Back