So Jay-z Wants Your Beat For His Next Project...

Legal Dollaz

And the project's A&R (or himself) ask you how much you want for the track (upfront advancement fee) and points for the record what is your answer?

I'd ask what they normally compensate for unknown producers, take half of that, and push for more points on the record for the back end royalties.

Last edited:
i'd probably do 3-4k advance and 5% royalties

if they say they'll give me 5 or 6% if i take a lower advance, i'll do it

And they tell you there is no 'standard' fee for newbies, every situation is different. So then what is your cost and points?

It's been a while since i've kept up on whats the current standard but from what i remember reading from a few years ago 2-4 points were average.

Now if Jay-Z has confirmed the record is a go and negotiations are open, i'd start high and play the game. Maybe $3000 and 5 points with the anticipation of him offering something lower.

If it was a one and done kind of deal i'd play it low $500 - $1000 and 3 points.

It would really depend on how the conversation went down. Ultimately, if its a record that's guaranteed to go on his next album, i'd even pass on the upfront money and try and push for 5-6 points.

Truthfully though I'd say "Let me talk to my Lawyer" Then I'll come up with some type of plan

1. make a record
2. ?????
3. be rich
south-park-gnomes-phases.jpg

Maybe ask for 1-2K upfront ... 5% backend ... But somewhere in the contract, he has to agree that a video has to be shot for it (whether its high budget or low budget) ;)

I know, im so smart

i'd probably do 3-4k advance and 5% royalties

if they say they'll give me 5 or 6% if i take a lower advance, i'll do it

Ok that sounds reasonable

I made this thread because so many producers aspire to be in that position but are really not prepared so its something to think about because in this digital age you can go from being a producer with little to no discography pushing their tracks out there to being in negotiation with some of the biggest acts in the game in the matter of 24 hrs.

When opportunity knocks on your door are you ready?

Ok that sounds reasonable

I made this thread because so many producers aspire to be in that position but are really not prepared so its something to think about because in this digital age you can go from being a producer with little to no discography pushing their tracks out there to being in negotiation with some of the biggest acts in the game in the matter of 24 hrs.

When opportunity knocks on your door are you ready?

Yup! i think its always best to start you negotiations off low, cause even I dont have an impressive enough resume to ask for anything crazy or haggle with them. So you start off moderate, if you make doing business easy, you put yourself in better positions for more work

better off getting a lot of work for cheaper in this industry to begin with, and then slow down raise your price and work on select artists that are now available due to your increased resume

The "AZ/Ace in paid in full" Theory

Ok and here comes 'the slip':

Roc Nation ALSO wants half of your producing publishing (he's already getting the lyric half by default) just because he can. Do you go with it or do you tell your attorney to completely strike it out in his first mark up of the contract or do you meet him half way (which comes up to 75-25 in favor of Jay-z assuming no other writers or sample clearance scenario)?

I say charge 10-15k plus a nice percentage of royalties BUT they can give me a 10k gift certificate to guitar center and I'm good!!!

Ok and here comes 'the slip':

Roc Nation ALSO wants half of your producing publishing (he's already getting the lyric half by default) just because he can. Do you go with it or do you tell your attorney to completely strike it out in his first mark up of the contract or do you meet him half way (which comes up to 75-25 in favor of Jay-z assuming no other writers or sample clearance scenario)?

damn, LOLOL shit i'd probably meet half way

A Jay-Z album? Guaranteed million plus seller, one of the few guys that can actually recoup out here...

$7k advance, 50/50 split on the pub, and 1-3% on the royalties.

Jay's name on my resume is gonna mean alot more than that little piece of money up front. Plus he'll recoup, so that means some back end coming in.

Plus it's damn near guaranteed to generate performance and sync pub. It'll be all in movies and commercials, as campaigns and definitely in heavy rotation at the new Brooklyn Nets arena.

If its a single, we can negotiate even lower numbers.

This is me being optimistically realistic. But I figure start high so I have a place to move.

If I was being a real dick, I would take a red pen to all the fcukery in the contract, but I know that'll never fly, so what's the use? lol

damn, LOLOL shit i'd probably meet half way

Or you can ask bring down your royalty rate to 2% in exchange for keeping all your pub. Jay-z is one of the few artists that you know is going to sell records and get a substantial amount of performance royalties and possibly sync bread so move wisely! Its always a thin line between selling yourself too short and going hardball and negotiating yourself right out of the whole situation ("Hey Jay Brown, give the 2 track to Jahlil Beats and see if he can re-do this track, this kid is tripping with the negotiations I'm done")

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

A Jay-Z album? Guaranteed million plus seller, one of the few guys that can actually recoup out here...

$7k advance, 50/50 split on the pub, and 1-3% on the royalties.

Jay's name on my resume is gonna mean alot more than that little piece of money up front. Plus he'll recoup, so that means some back end coming in.

Plus it's damn near guaranteed to generate performance and sync pub. It'll be all in movies and commercials, as campaigns and definitely in heavy rotation at the new Brooklyn Nets arena.

If its a single, we can negotiate even lower numbers.

This is me being optimistically realistic. But I figure start high so I have a place to move.

If I was being a real dick, I would take a red pen to all the fcukery in the contract, but I know that'll never fly, so what's the use? lol

Funny I actually was going to tell as20gp to start at 7k because of his album placement on Wayne's most recent album. Good post Troup

I'd prob go w/ $1,000 - $1,500 ... still considering points & all that

as far as him taking half the producer publishing, is that gonna be like a Roc Nation producer deal for a certain time period or just for that record?
if its just that record, I'd prob just take it ... & if it was more long-term, I'd actually prob accept that too, considering the other terms

Back