Disliking your own work.

if i dont feel the music on the day it just gets deleted, other times i come back to a track only to scrap it or start a different version/genre of it.

if i dont feel the music on the day it just gets deleted, other times i come back to a track only to scrap it or start a different version/genre of it.

This happened to me with the track on my sig. I had a guy doing vocals on a pretty dark and melancholic trip-hop tune, and all went well. Then, he requested me to do something more "chilled", so I started working on it. Half way through, the guy simply vanished, and I stopped producing it.

Recently, When I was reviewing my older projects, I stumbled upon Let it Rain again, and decided to make it whole. Hell, I even decided to work on a EP, with chilled dubstep and drum and bass.

What I learned is: always keep a copy of the things you're working. You'll never know when you're going to need it.

Plenty of well established artists experience the exact same thing. When you're doing something creative there's always going to be a gap between the awesome stuff you imagine making, and what you're capable of producing with your knowledge and skills.

Over time, through practice, failure, self-loathing and development, you can narrow the gap, but it never really closes. But you have to keep working and finishing tracks, even if they never see the light of day.

Yes, yes YES lol!!! This is normal because the work isn't fresh to your ears due to the process during the production process. The greatest reward is when others love it!

Great topic

This is normal!! Sometimes taking a break from the work helps but ALWAYS go back and finish. Your unfinished work may be a hit in the making!!

yea absolutely, do you ever see your potential when you are making a track that gives you that fire? i do.

its good to notice your mistakes, it leads to improvement.

Yep there's plenty of old projects throughout the years I would admit don't sound the best. But on the other hand I still have that self respect for everything I've tried to do. Got me to where I am now (nowhere really hehe).

It happens to me while I'm in the process of making a song. It sucks so much cause it can make you fear continuing on with the song. It get you to the point where you just going back and forth with sounds and stuff " Oh no this sound should be change " or " This isnt turning out right " or " I should probably change that " etc. I've found it helpful to either take a small break, eat something, or in general do something that makes you happy or relaxed, and the n come back to the song. Usually it helps a lot to really understand and know with a full heart what it is you want your stuff to sound like. The same problem happen to me, but I've found that since I've realized what I really want, it tend to happen less often than what it used to be back then. ^^ SO dont give up, just keep a clear, serene heart and mind.

I constantly have this happen. It is true that its a sign of development, but it makes me worry when I just finish a track if its any good or not, and I don't want to wait until a month or so later to realize the track is complete sh&t, which is why I'm always bothering friends and such to give me honest critical and harsh feedback during the early stages. Not always easy to hear but helpful and I still need so much more to learn!

I think it's safe to say we all go through this and it's a 'natural' part of the process. I've read/been told a trick to this is to 'go to your happy place' hehe cause when your in a really good mood the track you're working on tends to sound better (and/or it's more obvious what need to be done to make it sound better).

Most definitely. I delete stuff off SoundCloud too. But it's just a way of maturing and growing. Also your own sound is always changing or you are continuing to discover which can make your old work less enjoyable.

Well I also had this time. I listened to my old tracks and thought: wtf? was that me? But you have to know, that when this feeling is coming up you know you got much better.

I think its really natural to do this. but i also think its a really good thing. criticising your own work is how you will progress as a producer and want to make better music!

Back