So I had a 1 on 1 meeting with an A&R from Atlantic Records..

I don't want to be a dick or anything. I'm just like "why?". I mean, what was the point? You lost a considerable amount of time and all you got out of it was a compliment and now your beats are on someone you don't know's USB stick being played for whomever - if at all. You know what i mean? Meanwhile, you could have contacted name songwriters and/or performers and hooked up a collaboration yourself. Or even, finished up an album worth of material and put it out yourself and sought out publishing deals for your tracks.

When are people going to understand that the Internet is the realization of a dream that many have been praying a long time for. We are no longer bound by the old music industry business model. We are fully empowered now. Approaching a "major label" is like stepping into a time machine heading for pre-1865 America. Why would anyone want to do that? I'm just saying...

I 110% agree. Find you mang don't let anotha nigga.

yadadadamean mang?

This is one of the funniest threads I have ever seen on this site.

A lot of BLATANT hate and jealousy, and a lot of people obviously too scared to take even the slightest of risks to potentially achieve their dreams.

My man decided to share his story with the site. Thanks for that. I don't remember him in that story bragging or talking about NOW IM THE HOTTEST THING OUT AFTER THAT MEETING!!!!! Something happened to him, he recounted his story. If you don't like the story, go about your life! It has absolutely nothing to do with you whatsoever!!

And wait a minute... people in the entertainment industry drinking and doing drugs!?!?!?!? SAY IT AINT SO!!!!!!!!!!!!! This dude had one drink to loosen up and some of yall condemning him to hell! TAKE THE BEAM OUT OF YOUR OWN EYE FIRST!

Then you got people talking about oh you're dumb you're about to get jacked for beats. So he got his beats into the hands of someone from a major label who can potentially get them in the hands of some of the biggest artists out right now... but no, i'll pass on that, cuz you just MIGHT try to steal a beat THAT I MADE SPECIFICALLY FOR THIS MEETING ANYWAY, and that, realistically, what type of oh-so-huge moves was I gonna make with these beats anyway??? This dude didn't have Jay-Z on the other line...

WOW. The internet... where everyone knows more than you about everything... including your own life.

Last edited:
I don't want to be a dick or anything. I'm just like "why?". I mean, what was the point? You lost a considerable amount of time and all you got out of it was a compliment and now your beats are on someone you don't know's USB stick being played for whomever - if at all.

I love this paranoia. So if it's going out to artists the a&r is in contact with then its OH NO my beats are being heard by whomever!?

but youre also worried that hes not playing tracks for anyone at all

I understand this world is filled with people more concerned about themselves than anyone else but this keep your beats to yourself attitude wont help nobody at all

He said he wont be giving out the name..

thats the dumbest shit I've ever heard....im defiantly calling bullshit on the entire thing.

mike caren, young jeezy, craig kallman, darrell jones, shawn barron, success, brian johnston, jeff vaughn, jake one...those are all the atlantic A&R's i can think of.

Yes, it's ok to showacse your material if it's properly protected (copyright filed).

As to this: >>>>When are people going to understand that the Internet is the realization of a dream that many have been praying a long time for. We are no longer bound by the old music industry business model. We are fully empowered now.<<<<

Alas, if only it were true. "Fully Empowered" is a dubious statement at best. The promise of the Internet and the reality of the Internet have not reached a conjunction of any kind at this point, but we can always hope things will get better...

To the OP-- You go boy. Take the bull by the horns. But learn the business as you go, so people can't take advantage of you (or if they try, at least you have already prepared). I just wouldn't go to a lot of these meetings high or drunk; that's a whole 'nuther thing.

GJ

This is one of the funniest threads I have ever seen on this site.

A lot of BLATANT hate and jealousy, and a lot of people obviously too scared to take even the slightest of risks to potentially achieve their dreams.

WOW. The internet... where everyone knows more than you about everything... including your own life.

I feel you bro. These dudes on here is some haters. Why they gotta be like that? They aint even have to do my my man like that.

I'm surprised people think it's that hard to get a meeting with an A&R that someone would fabricate it.

Call any label's front desk, ask for the A&R in charge of *insert artist's name*'s upcoming album. They will forward you to his office. If no one answers, call back and request the same A&R by name's email.

Get in contact, he may wanna hear some tracks via email, he may just tell you to drop by. Especially if you're in the coity or in Jersey(a train hop away). Get real.

I'm sure the A&R gets hit up and spam on twitter etc all the time about please listen to my tracks etc. Saying his name won't overwhelm him lol. A&R's don't care they delete all that shit anyways.

I'm good bro lol.. i aint tryna get lost in the sauce

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

I'm surprised people think it's that hard to get a meeting with an A&R that someone would fabricate it.

Call any label's front desk, ask for the A&R in charge of *insert artist's name*'s upcoming album. They will forward you to his office. If no one answers, call back and request the same A&R by name's email.

Get in contact, he may wanna hear some tracks via email, he may just tell you to drop by. Especially if you're in the coity or in Jersey(a train hop away). Get real.

I seriously doubt that would actually work... From this situation, it's about who you know.. u do the situation, tell him your 'derange phuk'd up' and you want a meeting.. tell him your beats are hot and let em know how that works out for you lol

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

I don't want to be a dick or anything. I'm just like "why?". I mean, what was the point? You lost a considerable amount of time and all you got out of it was a compliment and now your beats are on someone you don't know's USB stick being played for whomever - if at all. You know what i mean? Meanwhile, you could have contacted name songwriters and/or performers and hooked up a collaboration yourself. Or even, finished up an album worth of material and put it out yourself and sought out publishing deals for your tracks.

When are people going to understand that the Internet is the realization of a dream that many have been praying a long time for. We are no longer bound by the old music industry business model. We are fully empowered now. Approaching a "major label" is like stepping into a time machine heading for pre-1865 America. Why would anyone want to do that? I'm just saying...

ARE YOU STUPID? I could have completely ignored the opportunity and never went to see him and never got a connect in the process? I'd be behind where I am now, so I'm pretty sure I made a good move... I know who the guy.. *person* .. is of course.. You can easily google the person and see what they've done... what songwriters? lol they prolly more big headed than the a&r;'s are cuz they get to work with top level producers.. and how am I gonna get these deals you speak of with no connects / contacts.. lol

I seriously doubt that would actually work... From this situation, it's about who you know.. u do the situation, tell him your 'derange phuk'd up' and you want a meeting.. tell him your beats are hot and let em know how that works out for you lol

I've produced for multiple artists on Ruff Ryders, G.Dep, Yukmouth, Gonzoe, Brotha Lynch, The Game, Big Wy of the Relatives, Blackchild(Murder inc), 2 Pistols, done entire albums with Mr. Serv on, Chyna Whyte, Big Fase 100, I'm forgetting tons of guys cause that list should say enough.

I've used the exact method I just posted to get in touch with Sha Money XL, Dre McKinzey, Mike Karen(who's info I passed to others thru this site that placed with Juvenile I beleive, they're welcome to post and confirm, if the don't, fair enough, didn't happen), dude over at Warner bros back when he was at Rap A lot/Untouchable(sorry can't remember his name), dude who was working on Cashis' album on Shady Records, tons of others. This is how you find out where to send tracks.

I have no problem naming names. I can go back to my old phone and list hundreds of contacts i've gotten this way.

People would rather say it don't work than make it work for them. Drop jewels and people would rather tell you they not real than pick em up and go get them appraised, lol.

If that don't work for everyone, maybe I'm just professional enough that I sound important and they put me thru, but there was a time in my life where I did this 3-4 times a day at different labels inquiring about different artists and have never been told NO by anyone. Worse case scenario is getting forwarded to a voicemail that's full and not being able to leave a message.

EDIT: I wasn't trying to downplay your situation. But a solicited submission or meeting can be set up a million ways. Respect to you for getting there by word of mouth, but it's an A&Rs JOB to take meetings and look for talent. They give 5 minutes of their day to tons of people a day...daily. It's not so real that they can't tell you to drop by or send tracks to an email after a phone call.

You really doing something if they leave the office to come where you're at to see you. Lol.

Last edited:
very cool picture, and def. good stuff on drankin LOL

can't wait to have fun with the industry folks when i make myway up there
!!!

I see that my comment has generated a fair amount of responses. Let me just say that i played on my first hit record in Munich, Germany back in 1975. I've been playing bass on and in all imaginable situations ever since. I've worked with everyone from Silvester Levy (Google him) to Denniz Pop and Max Martin. I've played Jazz with Johnny Griffin and Bill Harris among others. You've heard me on more recordings than you can count. I've been in this business a long time and still going strong. The Internet has introduced the potential for a new business model that is so much more favorable to the content creator/the talent. When i was coming up, we didn't have this kind of opportunity. This "level playing field", where a musician could produce, market and sell their creation and retain all rights and profits - in direct competition with the corporations. Back in the day, we could only dream of this kind of power. We were slaves to the corporation. Sure, advances were bigger back then and there was tour support. None of that meant anything in the long-run because in the end, you owned nothing and owed everything to the corporation. That's why when i see young people willfully going back in that direction i throw up the red flags.

The same time and energy spent looking for someone to take your music "to the next level", can just as well be spent building one's own network within the industry and advancing your own agenda instead of working for someone else - because that's what you do when you "sign with a label". You're an employee. It's no different than working at McDonald's. It's their agenda - not your music - that is the focus. How do you get the "deals" i speak of? I never mentioned "deals". I wrote "collaborations". Work. Not hand-outs. Not "deals", rather a mutually profitable pooling of resources with an artist you respect and admire. Create opportunities for yourself to work with the people you want to work with. You do that by picking up the phone or emailing the people you want to work with.

Now, i know this path isn't for everyone. It's hard work. Believe me, i know. There's nothing wrong with meeting A&R reps if a person understands where that really leads. Just don't believe the hype and start thinking that a "deal" is more valuable than owning and controlling your own. Good luck and i really do hope that you get hooked up and properly boosted to the top of the heap - no matter how you choose to get there.

Jair-Rohm

I see that my comment has generated a fair amount of responses. Let me just say that i played on my first hit record in Munich, Germany back in 1975. I've been playing bass on and in all imaginable situations ever since. I've worked with everyone from Silvester Levy (Google him) to Denniz Pop and Max Martin. I've played Jazz with Johnny Griffin and Bill Harris among others. You've heard me on more recordings than you can count. I've been in this business a long time and still going strong. The Internet has introduced the potential for a new business model that is so much more favorable to the content creator/the talent. When i was coming up, we didn't have this kind of opportunity. This "level playing field", where a musician could produce, market and sell their creation and retain all rights and profits - in direct competition with the corporations. Back in the day, we could only dream of this kind of power. We were slaves to the corporation. Sure, advances were bigger back then and there was tour support. None of that meant anything in the long-run because in the end, you owned nothing and owed everything to the corporation. That's why when i see young people willfully going back in that direction i throw up the red flags. The same time and energy spent looking for someone to take your music "to the next level", can just as well be spent building one's own network within the industry and advancing your own agenda instead of working for someone else - because that's what you do when you "sign with a label". You're an employee. It's no different than working at McDonald's. It's their agenda - not your music - that is the focus. How do you get the "deals" i speak of? I never mentioned "deals". I wrote "collaborations". Work. Not hand-outs. Not "deals", rather a mutually profitable pooling of resources with an artist you respect and admire. Create opportunities for yourself to work with the people you want to work with. You do that by picking up the phone or emailing the people you want to work with. Now, i know this path isn't for everyone. It's hard work. Believe me, i know. There's nothing wrong with meeting A&R reps if a person understands where that really leads. Just don't believe the hype and start thinking that a "deal" is more valuable than owning and controlling your own. Good luck and i really do hope that you get hooked up and properly boosted to the top of the heap - no matter how you choose to get there. Jair-Rohm

Good to see there are some 'real' people on here.... I am very familiar with your work.
A Real Music Veteran..... not some fake Internet 2003 FP Vet.

You guys can learn alot from him.

Last edited:
Good to know people think they know me. That was a ginuine response though. We can learn from anyone who's been around since the analog era and transitioned into the digital while remaining current. I've never had a hit, he had a hit in 75 making it a CLASSIC in 2012. And Max Martin is IMO(said numerous times on this site)one of, if not the greatest pop producer of all times. I'm not easily impressed, and I would indeed be overwhelmed if given a chance to work with him.

Sorry if it came off as sarcasm, but i was salutin dude. As i do others up here like Moses, Bandcoach, Krushing, Big Bear and Massive mastering(who no longer posts)tons of others, sorry if I didn't mention you. I love people who bring knowledge to this site.

No sarcasm was intended. But i forgot, it's the web, people read between the lines when they not supposed to. I'm actually far from bitter. I own a house off music, a few cars off music, have met alot of people and seen the world doing what I love. Didn't know where I'd be in 10 years 20 years ago. I did pretty good for myself and wish BETTER for others. I'm still a hit away from being someone like everyone else I encounter in life and on this site struggling. All i can offer is the story of someone who didn't make it in music who came to a happy place in life, if I don't seem happy, you don't know me. Happily married 13 years, happy father, happy to mix songs and make beats for people you never heard of making $50-200 a night self employed. That's why I just told y'all how to contact A&Rs a page ago to be told I was bitter. So you guys can get in a better position because if I knew all the stuff you guys have access to from the beginning, maybe I woulda got further before I got tired, settled and quit caring. Happily.

Good luck to you all. Take it as sarcasm if it makes you think you got me figured out. :cheers:

Last edited:
Back