Really important question with leasing

M.I.L

When I buy a lease it says
'Distribute up to 2,000 copies'

Does that mean you can SELL up to 2,000?
Would I beable to let as many people download my mixtape for free without having to deal with the 2,000 limit?

Well the terms on each lease are different from producer to producer, so you'd have to check with the producer of the beat or get his permission and change the contract.

Would I beable to let as many people download my mixtape for free without having to deal with the 2,000 limit?

fukc all that "UP TO" shit...them boyz ain't keeping track, homie...NOBODY is

No. "Distribute" means "distribute"... whether you are "selling it" or "giving it away", you are "distributing" it.

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

fukc all that "UP TO" shit...them boyz ain't keeping track, homie...NOBODY is

Yeah! and hopefully one day you will make something that people want to steal from you, too!... because you'll never know when it happens! right?

...and people wonder why the music industry is falling apart... if you can't get the people actually IN THE BUSINESS to respect eachothers music and rights, how can anyone possibly expect some kid out there to respect an artists music and rights?

Why even bother trying to sell your music? just give it all away!

PM J.Troup that question...and i'm sure he'll break it down for you or point you in the correct direction to find a logical answer.

how does that response even relate to anything i have said?

My point is that when even the people who make the music don't respect artist's rights, there is no reason to expect anybody else to respect artist's rights.

It is a bit funny when an artist/producer says "I'm gonna steal the beat that I rap on, but nobody better steal the song with the beat I stole!"

I think you should look at the logic of the situation.

Well I think the idea nowadays is becoming this. You make great music, so everyone who hears it wants it. Some people might buy it, but most everyone is going to steal; which is okay. If enough people steal your music, then you must be getting popular. Once you are popular, you can make plenty of money on performances/tours and if you get really big, you can do promotions/advertising.

But if your music gets popular enough, then people are gonna start counting, and if you make enough money off of it, you're gonna get sued for using someone else's beat. Saying "don't worry, no one's counting", is the same as saying "don't worry, you won't do that well anyway".

If you break the lease, you either (A) don't want to be very successful or (B) you don't mind getting sued if it means you're popular.

No. "Distribute" means "distribute"... whether you are "selling it" or "giving it away", you are "distributing" it.

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Yeah! and hopefully one day you will make something that people want to steal from you, too!... because you'll never know when it happens! right?

...and people wonder why the music industry is falling apart... if you can't get the people actually IN THE BUSINESS to respect eachothers music and rights, how can anyone possibly expect some kid out there to respect an artists music and rights?

Why even bother trying to sell your music? just give it all away!

I've been saying that for awhile now. The times we live in now thrive and are influenced by ignorance and disrespect. What is negative...is now the new positive. There is no such thing as the honor system with the new gereration. It's no coinsidence that most of the music on the overground is trash. There are people out there that still believe Brittany Spears can sing or that Rihanna can sing....please...they might look nice, Rihanna anyway, but they're not good singers...but they keep selling. I'm sorry I went to the left, but I am so frustrated with the lack of quality musictoday. The thing is, there's not a lack of quality artists, but they will stay underground because they're not cute enough, or have a gimmick that will get them noticed by the masses, which btw, you can tell anything. You can say, hey masses, this guy in a monkey suit singing "Banana, Banana, Banana" is the greatest artist and song in the history of life...and they will believe you and go buy 3,000,000 copies. Disgrace! Music will be dead sooner than we think.

Well I think the idea nowadays is becoming this. You make great music, so everyone who hears it wants it. Some people might buy it, but most everyone is going to steal; which is okay. If enough people steal your music, then you must be getting popular. Once you are popular, you can make plenty of money on performances/tours and if you get really big, you can do promotions/advertising.

That is only the "idea nowadays" amongst people who are making music in their bedrooms just hoping that someone will listen to them... it is not the idea amongst the people really making music for their lives.

...and you really think the typical artist makes money on tour (if it hasn't put them into massive debt)?

Disgrace! Music will be dead sooner than we think.

Mhh.. I guess you mean the death of an over-industrialized art product and most of the things surrounding it. Music mags, distributors, pressing plants, very simple mass promotion, the concept of music genres, ect, all the stuff that made music such a big seller in the last 30, maybe 40 years. Yes this is gone (with a handful exceptions). Making big money with music was just an episode in history. Some would call it a bubble. Much like you could earn millions with a simple domain around 1999-2001 and now everybody laughs about it.

But music is really the last thing to die. People LOVE music more than ever, they LISTEN more than ever and many young people have a dramatically better knowledge in music history - much better than we had 20 years ago. The situation actually improved for honest musicians and music lovers IMHO.

Back to the OP: I would say start concentrating music instead of doing stupid mickey mouse deals with your friends - or at least - colleagues. Do music and have fun.

I'm really sorry if I'm insulting anybody, but all that "beat" market is sooo US. It's a 100% show, nothing behind. The only guys making money with beats are soundclick and similar. There is no demand for "beats" in a world where every second teenager is a producer. There are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many hyper talented producers out there, there is absolutely no demand for cliché archetypes beats. Real artists COLLABORATE, they don't sell out each other.

What I mean is: Do not struggle with such questions, it's not worth the time.

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

...and you really think the typical artist makes money on tour (if it hasn't put them into massive debt)?

Oh yes, that's a good question. That market also clearly dropped IMHO. Most music projects, even the big big ones you hear about every day are not profitable. It's just that success sells better than "no success", so you see big dollars, houses and cars in all videos, but this is just the classic marketing story: "rags to riches", it has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with reality, but that's what people want to hear.

Last edited:
I've been saying that for awhile now. The times we live in now thrive and are influenced by ignorance and disrespect. What is negative...is now the new positive. There is no such thing as the honor system with the new gereration. It's no coinsidence that most of the music on the overground is trash. There are people out there that still believe Brittany Spears can sing or that Rihanna can sing....please...they might look nice, Rihanna anyway, but they're not good singers...but they keep selling. I'm sorry I went to the left, but I am so frustrated with the lack of quality musictoday. The thing is, there's not a lack of quality artists, but they will stay underground because they're not cute enough, or have a gimmick that will get them noticed by the masses, which btw, you can tell anything. You can say, hey masses, this guy in a monkey suit singing "Banana, Banana, Banana" is the greatest artist and song in the history of life...and they will believe you and go buy 3,000,000 copies. Disgrace! Music will be dead sooner than we think.

I think you are being pretty dramatic. Music isn't 'dying' anytime soon lol. Sure, there are a lot of great singers that go unnoticed, but that doesn't mean you have to insult the ones that do. Brittney and Rihanna are good singers; they wouldn't be where they are if they weren't. There's hot chicks everywhere, but they don't all get to do what Britney and Rihanna do.

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

I agree with Moses. You don't have to make millions of dollars to be a musician. And yeah, it's definitely easier for people to produce music nowadays. There's far less dependance on major labels. With new hardware/software, people can make whole orchestral pieces just from home.

i'm saying that people SHOULDN'T try to SELL their music in the "traditional" sense...

I don't care what in "sense" you want to sell your music... traditional, nontraditional, or anything in between...

The guy who is selling "beats"... you know, the one you said to steal from... he is selling his music in a nontraditional sense...

You sure don't mind screwing him.

and just because you don't think people should sell music in the "traditional sense" (whatever that exactly means), it does not mean other people should have to agree with you.

and pick a way you think artists/producers should "nontraditionally" sell their music... for every way you can think of, there will be at least one way people can steal it from you.

If you do not want to respect other peoples rights in their own music, there is absolutely no reason anybody should respect your rights in your music, either.

Every bit of artists rights that gets taken away that you don't care about is moving it all closer to taking away the rights that you do care about.

you should really be careful of things you take for granted... they won't always be there for you.

"don't worry, you won't do that well anyway"

i'm calling BULLSHIT...

ain't no "UP TO X,000" producer EVER sued NOBODY...so fukc that..."2,000" (for example and in context) is RHETORIC...

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

There is no demand for "beats"

pretty much...

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

success sells better than "no success", so you see big dollars, houses and cars in all videos, but this is just the classic marketing story: "rags to riches", it has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with reality, but that's what people want to hear.

quoted for truth...

DEAF, selling beats online is a very new market, but there has been plenty of LARGE, successful copyright lawsuits in the music industry; a lot. And the only reason nobody is getting sued over it is because the people who do it are nobodies who no one's ever heard of who never go anywhere. Even if someone did find out they sold 2,001 copies (or however much past 2000), they would actually lose more money off a lawsuit if the person they are suing doesn't have any money.

I call BULLSHIT on YOUR bullshit.

Now, if you were truly great but couldn't afford exclusive prices, then you'd rip off the producer, just assume you'd get sued when you become famous, and then budget the loss towards advertising. You, on the other hand, obviously care about getting sued, yet still refuse to act professional. Basically, you're just going through the motions and lack a strong enough imagination to see yourself actually becoming famous.

the one you said to steal from...

i just said NOBODY IS KEEPING TRACK...i didn't say nuttin' about STEALING from cats...

when products are being sold, WHO'S JOB IS IT TO KEEP INVENTORY? the BUYERS job or the SELLERS job???

(my point, exactly)

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

the only reason nobody is getting sued over it is because the people who do it are nobodies who no one's ever heard of who never go anywhere

exactly like i said, NOBODY IS COUNTING because NOBODY CARES (including the producah)

if the producer / "seller" was so vested in logistics, THEN HE WOULD BE KEEPING TRACK OF EVERY SINGLE UNIT SOLD / DOWNLOADED W/ HIS NAME ON IT...

dog aint' doing that, SO, he can take his bullshit 'ole "2,000" and flush it.

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

If you do not want to respect other peoples rights in their own music, there is absolutely no reason anybody should respect your rights in your music, either.

don't go in on me because ya'll ain't keeping track of ya'll'z intellectual properties' terms & conditions...

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

yeah...THAT and how do "non-exclusive" contracts deal w/ YOUTUBE views?

man, half those "terms & conditions" are COPY and PASTE...no real THOUGHT put into 'em...

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

Even if someone did find out they sold 2,001 copies (or however much past 2000), they would actually lose more money off a lawsuit if the person they are suing doesn't have any money

AGAIN my point...

so KILL that "2,000" shit...it's CORNY

Hey it's not that I really care that much about copyright. I believe the industry will adapt and take care of itself. I'm not worried about anyone's rights, like dvyce. I just wanna puke when I hear how little self confidence you have. You're approach is so mediocre. Like I said, a truly aggressive approach on this would be to rip off the producer, just assume you'd get sued when you become famous, and then budget the loss towards advertising. But you are in denial of getting sued. It's like your subconscious doesn't want you to be famous because you might get sued.

Back