How are people selling sampled beats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that..I thought I said that everything is the contract..maybe I didn't

Void Contract :An agreement to carry out an illegal act is an example of a void contract or void agreement. For example, a contract between drug dealers and buyers is a void contract simply because the terms of the contract are illegal. In such a case, neither party can go to court to enforce the contract. A void contract is void ab initio ie from the beginning while a voidable contract can be voidable by one or all of the parties.

That is Business Law 101........

Handle your business prior by getting the sample cleared. Make sure that you, the artist, and the label are all on the same page. DON'T BE STUPID!!!!!!!!

I am trying to save you money in the long run.....

-1-

Void Contract :An agreement to carry out an illegal act is an example of a void contract or void agreement. For example, a contract between drug dealers and buyers is a void contract simply because the terms of the contract are illegal. In such a case, neither party can go to court to enforce the contract. A void contract is void ab initio ie from the beginning while a voidable contract can be voidable by one or all of the parties.

That is Business Law 101........

Handle your business prior by getting the sample cleared. Make sure that you, the artist, and the label are all on the same page. DON'T BE STUPID!!!!!!!!

I am trying to save you money in the long run.....

-1-

it seems like you flip floppin on me but w/e

it isn't illegal for me to sell my time,labor and creative artistry,the beat was free...*jeezy voice* I got this,homey

it seems like you flip floppin on me but w/e

it isn't illegal for me to sell my time,labor and creative artistry,the beat was free...*jeezy voice* I got this,homey

no, but if your beat has samples and they are not cleared by [insert people involved], it is illegal......

no if, ands, or buts about it.....

-1-

well,you know what..I hear ya...**** it...cot damnit lol..to all my sample producers out there making good music and so happen to be getting money too and not clearing your samples,keep up the good work and watch your ass

I think sample producers live by this myth 'if it gets to that then POW thas a good thing,we'll cross that bridge when we get there!...everything doesn't always turn out negatively

well,you know what..I hear ya...**** it...cot damnit lol..to all my sample producers out there making good music and so happen to be getting money too and not clearing your samples,keep up the good work and watch your ass

There are fewer and fewer making "good" money at it. If you arent being honest and clearing your sample, is that money really "good"? To me, being honest means more than being paid alot for something not completely mine without sharing the profits with its copywrite owner.

The mentality of "F*ck it" is messing up the whole game. Understand that the sample is someone else's music and not giving credit is just as bad as stealing cars (maybe worse). Fewer and fewer talented sample-based producers are legit and open about their sources. Saddens me to think that "F*ck it" is all that you can say.

-1-

Last edited:
Damn...dudes get emotional about sampling and clearance, lol.

Observation(not taking sides, just observing from a standpoint where I both compose from scratch and sample).....

Samplers get offended because they feel they have to defend their style of production. They feel that others find their methods inferior because 90% of the time, the most you're doing really is finding a good sample, chopping it, adding drums, maybe a baseline. There's nothing wrong with that. nothing "not talented" about that. Nothing that makes you an inferior producer as long as the finished product is hot. However...If you sell a sampled beat without clearance, it is very much illegal. You won't get caught unless the song gets big, but you can be held responsible in the end.

From Scratch Composers in the thread are simply explaining that selling beats that contain uncleared samples are illegal. They taking it personally, because they make their stuff from scratch just like the artists we sample without paying, so they're looking at the work these guys aren't getting compensated for first hand.

In the end, the composers are correct in this one. That doesn't make sampling "not hip hop" that doesn't make sampling "talentless", it just remains 100% fact that if you sell a beat without clearing the sample you are in breech of copyright laws. No different than someone can take a beat you sampled even if it's copyrighted, lie say they made it, and owe you nothing, but still owe the original composer(ex. Ashanti stole Biggie's arrangement and recognitionability for "Foolish" making it a big record, but only had to pay Debarge).

The law is a crazy thing, we all break it sometimes. There's states where oral sex is illegal, some of you live in them and don't even know it, when you get that chick to....lol.

I think the disagreement was whether or not selling beats with samples in them was illegal. It indeed is. No contract will give you the right to sell the entire body of work legally without clearance. But as said before, you can sell the partial body of work under stipulations. And artists from soundclick artist #3,618 to Timbaland sell beats without clearing. Doesn't make it legal.

If you like the sound of samples, but want to do it legally, get some loop CDs, Royalty free music(plenty out there, even famous songs), or bring in live instrumentalists and sample from them(ex. Clipse "Kinda big Deal"). If not, keep breaking the law, just hope you don't get caught.

When I hear a hot sample, I get it, period. The last thing on my mind is the legal crap, I'm thinking about making a hot song, but that's the point. End of the day, replace sample with "chain" or "parked car" or "bank vault", lol cause we are indeed stealing.

I think that's all that's been said.

There are fewer and fewer making "good" money at it. If you arent being honest and clearing your sample, is that money really "good"? To me, being honest means more than being paid alot for something not completely mine without sharing the profits with its copywrite owner.

The mentality of "F*ck it" is messing up the whole game. Understand that the sample is someone else's music and not giving credit is just as bad as stealing cars (maybe worse). Fewer and fewer talented sample-based producers are legit and open about their sources. Saddens me to think that "F*ck it" is all that you can say.

-1-

cuz I'm not gonna let talk on an internet forum stop my progress ,,I gotta plan..been had a plan and thas what it is..ppl try to shadowhate behind words and shyt but I ignore it and continue to do me..thas why it's '**** it'..shyt happens everyday and like I said everything doesn't always turn out negative as the haters try to be..not calling you a hater but you never know who's behind these replies

Damn...dudes get emotional about sampling and clearance, lol.

Observation(not taking sides, just observing from a standpoint where I both compose from scratch and sample).....

Samplers get offended because they feel they have to defend their style of production. They feel that others find their methods inferior because 90% of the time, the most you're doing really is finding a good sample, chopping it, adding drums, maybe a baseline. There's nothing wrong with that. nothing "not talented" about that. Nothing that makes you an inferior producer as long as the finished product is hot. However...If you sell a sampled beat without clearance, it is very much illegal. You won't get caught unless the song gets big, but you can be held responsible in the end.

From Scratch Composers in the thread are simply explaining that selling beats that contain uncleared samples are illegal. They taking it personally, because they make their stuff from scratch just like the artists we sample without paying, so they're looking at the work these guys aren't getting compensated for first hand.

In the end, the composers are correct in this one. That doesn't make sampling "not hip hop" that doesn't make sampling "talentless", it just remains 100% fact that if you sell a beat without clearing the sample you are in breech of copyright laws. No different than someone can take a beat you sampled even if it's copyrighted, lie say they made it, and owe you nothing, but still owe the original composer(ex. Ashanti stole Biggie's arrangement and recognitionability for "Foolish" making it a big record, but only had to pay Debarge).

The law is a crazy thing, we all break it sometimes. There's states where oral sex is illegal, some of you live in them and don't even know it, when you get that chick to....lol.

I think the disagreement was whether or not selling beats with samples in them was illegal. It indeed is. No contract will give you the right to sell the entire body of work legally without clearance. But as said before, you can sell the partial body of work under stipulations. And artists from soundclick artist #3,618 to Timbaland sell beats without clearing. Doesn't make it legal.

If you like the sound of samples, but want to do it legally, get some loop CDs, Royalty free music(plenty out there, even famous songs), or bring in live instrumentalists and sample from them(ex. Clipse "Kinda big Deal"). If not, keep breaking the law, just hope you don't get caught.

When I hear a hot sample, I get it, period. The last thing on my mind is the legal crap, I'm thinking about making a hot song, but that's the point. End of the day, replace sample with "chain" or "parked car" or "bank vault", lol cause we are indeed stealing.

I think that's all that's been said.
im glad they made mod out of you.. good post once again.:cheers:

cuz I'm not gonna let talk on an internet forum stop my progress ,,I gotta plan..been had a plan and thas what it is..ppl try to shadowhate behind words and shyt but I ignore it and continue to do me..thas why it's '**** it'..shyt happens everyday and like I said everything doesn't always turn out negative as the haters try to be..not calling you a hater but you never know who's behind these replies

So, in a few words. Stealing is perfectly fine as long as it is a song, not a car, plane, baby, gun, jordans, hat, identity, house, etc.......

ok, I see your point.....

Your point is BS....

-1-

Samplers get offended because they feel they have to defend their style of production. They feel that others find their methods inferior because 90% of the time, the most you're doing really is finding a good sample, chopping it, adding drums, maybe a baseline. There's nothing wrong with that. nothing "not talented" about that. Nothing that makes you an inferior producer as long as the finished product is hot. However...

thas what I call shadowhate..the 'giveandtake' compliments lol but w/e

gotta disagree,it's only when 'composer' producers start hating the style is when someone has to tell him he's wrong....and again this sillay ass composer vs sampler shyt only happen on forums...Timbo and Preemo aint in a room arguing everyday about what style is better..'composers' started this bullshyt..

So, in a few words. Stealing is perfectly fine as long as it is a song, not a car, plane, baby, gun, jordans, hat, identity, house, etc.......

ok, I see your point.....

Your point is BS....

-1-

my point is make ur music and watch your ass if you're a sampler..you telling me what to do don't stop it from happenning..I never once said stealing was fine...whas bullshyt is you putting words in my mouth to make your point..do what you do ,my man and don't knock the next

lol rome been shating on people.

Sampling takes no talent at all man.. plain and simple.. its for teh kids, like Fruity Loops.

lol rome been shating on people.

Sampling takes no talent at all man.. plain and simple.. its for teh kids, like Fruity Loops.

now see..thas real..I rather someone just come out and be a hater than shadowhate..way to keep it funky,my man :cheers:

my point is make ur music and watch your ass if you're a sampler..you telling me what to do don't stop it from happenning..I never once said stealing was fine...whas bullshyt is you putting words in my mouth to make your point..do what you do ,my man and don't knock the next

You dont have to say "stealing is ok" to express that you think stealing is ok. It is your attitude that reflects you decisions, and if sample clearance isnt on your mind prior to selling it, you are a thief. Doing you is fine, but being dishonest is a sign that you arent mature enough to do what it takes to be a man, let alone a producer.

-1-

thas what I call shadowhate..the 'giveandtake' compliments lol but w/e

gotta disagree,it's only when 'composer' producers start hating the style is when someone has to tell him he's wrong....and again this sillay ass composer vs sampler shyt only happen on forums...Timbo and Preemo aint in a room arguing everyday about what style is better..'composers' started this bullshyt..

So you callin me a "shadowhater?"

Maybe I misread, but for the record, I'm a samplebased producer fam. I bought a house and a few cars off samplebased production.

And Noble is as well. He was cutting fun at how easily you stereotype FL users and then get all emotional when someone criticizes samplers. But yeah, w/e.

Last edited:
You dont have to say "stealing is ok" to express that you think stealing is ok. It is your attitude that reflects you decisions, and if sample clearance isnt on your mind prior to selling it, you are a thief. Doing you is fine, but being dishonest is a sign that you arent mature enough to do what it takes to be a man, let alone a producer.

-1-

oh wow

now we're getting personal lol..signs of emotion..how bout I be man enough to leave you alone in your feelings ?..good luck to ya,homey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back