Youtube is a great way of finding samples IMO

i see what you're saying. but if sound quality was all people wanted when sampling they would sample cd's and downloads not vinyl.
Why do you think that? There are a lot of reasons why people sample vinyl. Technically vinyl has a fuller sound because it does not take on the limitations of 16 bit digital. On the flip side vinyl has a dusty sound vs cds that don't which is better is very subjective. People have had that argument since the 80s when cds first came out.

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

LOL...not gonna touch this one...
why he actually makes a great point? cd is clearer. there is just so much music that was never pressed up on cd that vinyl is usually a better choice. The vinyl option has been around since the 1920s and people still make vinyl. Cds have been around since the mid 80s and have all most stopped being produced. IN 10 years cd will be no more but vinyl will likely still be around.

Why do you think that? There are a lot of reasons why people sample vinyl. Technically vinyl has a fuller sound because it does not take on the limitations of 16 bit digital. On the flip side vinyl has a dusty sound vs cds that don't which is better is very subjective. People have had that argument since the 80s when cds first came out.

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

why he actually makes a great point? cd is clearer. there is just so much music that was never pressed up on cd that vinyl is usually a better choice. The vinyl option has been around since the 1920s and people still make vinyl. Cds have been around since the mid 80s and have all most stopped being produced. IN 10 years cd will be no more but vinyl will likely still be around.

Never said he was in the "wrong"...just seems like every second thread ends up in a sound quality debate revolving around the usage of Vinyl.

Fair enough. I honestly think that most who sample from Youtube or mp3s don't know better, are too cheap and make excuses or really cannot find vinyl. Though I think the latter is another excuse but hey we live in an era where music sounding good is not important. That's why Wack Flocka can make hits

Never said he was in the "wrong"...just seems like every second thread ends up in a sound quality debate revolving around the usage of Vinyl.

yeah thats what i'm saying. people don't sample just for sound quality; people sample lower-quality recordings because they oftentimes prefer the feel of the recording to the quality of it. the analog vs digital argument may be relevant, but my point is that many people won't be able to appreciate the difference. also, most vinyl that is sampled is not in perfect quality. my point was just that sampling isn't solely dependent on "sound quality" which is why i thing it is perfectly respectable to sample youtube.

edit: i never said that cd was actually better or more enjoyable to listen to or sample. im just saying that vinyl often lacks the "sound quality" that people look for. im just saying that youtube doesn't have to sound bad because its known for having a lot of poor quality content, just like vinyl.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Fair enough. I honestly think that most who sample from Youtube or mp3s don't know better, are too cheap and make excuses or really cannot find vinyl. Though I think the latter is another excuse but hey we live in an era where music sounding good is not important. That's why Wack Flocka can make hits

while i agree that its annoying for there to be so many ignorant people making average/bad music without an understanding of hip-hop's roots, i disagree that its inherently better for a producer to sample vinyl instead of youtube or an mp3. kanye west makes great music, and while it isnt his best, "poke her face" was sampled from youtube and its a sample that is nowhere else but youtube and sounds good on the song.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like where this thread has gone. Great points of view

imo, FP's flip this section is a way better place to find samples. but rather than leech for samples, i DISCOVER ARTISTS through the flip this section.

it puts artists on my radar so i can keep in mind who has good sh*t when i'm out digging. i've discovered a few dope artists just by browsing through the flip this section.

Amen to that.
Shit, to be honest, I don't even make beats that much any more, maybe 1 or 2 a week. But I stay in the Flip This section looking for artists I've never heard of that I can further research/look out for when digging, just to listen to..Some may call it leaching, but all people care about here is to see if their beat is better than yours using said sample LOL.I use it as another researching tool when it comes to discovering new music

yeah thats what i'm saying. people don't sample just for sound quality; people sample lower-quality recordings because they oftentimes prefer the feel of the recording to the quality of it. the analog vs digital argument may be relevant, but my point is that many people won't be able to appreciate the difference. also, most vinyl that is sampled is not in perfect quality. my point was just that sampling isn't solely dependent on "sound quality" which is why i thing it is perfectly respectable to sample youtube.

edit: i never said that cd was actually better or more enjoyable to listen to or sample. im just saying that vinyl often lacks the "sound quality" that people look for. im just saying that youtube doesn't have to sound bad because its known for having a lot of poor quality content, just like vinyl.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

while i agree that its annoying for there to be so many ignorant people making average/bad music without an understanding of hip-hop's roots, i disagree that its inherently better for a producer to sample vinyl instead of youtube or an mp3. kanye west makes great music, and while it isnt his best, "poke her face" was sampled from youtube and its a sample that is nowhere else but youtube and sounds good on the song.

IMO it goes beyond a sound quality issue. I love the sound/feel of vinyl and it factors into why I sample from that source. But to me, digging at the record shop, thrift store, garage sale, etc is half the fun. There's a certain authenticity in digging up a dusty LP and finding some gems on it. That's not to say that is the "right" way to do it, it just feels right to me. There is something honorable in doing things the way those you look up to did it. Kinda like cooking with grandmas fav. recipe vs. putting some store-bought frozen dinner in the oven...Now tell me what you'd rather feast on thanksgiving dinner...

I've sampled off youtube in the past primarily to participate in the Flip This section...but honestly I hate it, the sound is HORRIBLE as Xab pointed out (this is not a matter of preference, the audio is just far lesser), and I feel dirty ripping songs off the net like that.. I use youtube these days for one reason. I got an office job, so while I work, I put on some headphones and put on random playlists from youtube...that way when I do go digging, I might notice a few things I would not have none before.

If you are making music sonic quality should be important right? In order to get great sonic quality you need great mixes which often time also means having the best source sounds as possible. Poke Her Face was only available in digital format so Kanye did what he had to do. Just because something is pressed to vinyl doesn't mean its going to always sound better. Most recordings from the last 15 years sound fine on cd or cassette and you won't hear much of a difference on vinyl in my experience. However taking a recording from the 60s and putting it on cd sounds wildly different. its not an analog vs digital thing its more about an era thing. Some things from some eras just sound better on that eras medium. TLC Crazy Sexy Cool sounds best on cd and I had it on both vinyl and cd. Bob James One sounds best off vinyl.

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

IMO it goes beyond a sound quality issue. I love the sound/feel of vinyl and it factors into why I sample from that source. But to me, digging at the record shop, thrift store, garage sale, etc is half the fun. There's a certain authenticity in digging up a dusty LP and finding some gems on it. That's not to say that is the "right" way to do it, it just feels right to me. There is something honorable in doing things the way those you look up to did it. Kinda like cooking with grandmas fav. recipe vs. putting some store-bought frozen dinner in the oven...Now tell me what you'd rather feast on thanksgiving dinner...

I've sampled off youtube in the past primarily to participate in the Flip This section...but honestly I hate it, the sound is HORRIBLE as Xab pointed out (this is not a matter of preference, the audio is just far lesser), and I feel dirty ripping songs off the net like that.. I use youtube these days for one reason. I got an office job, so while I work, I put on some headphones and put on random playlists from youtube...that way when I do go digging, I might notice a few things I would not have none before.
That's exactly what youtube is good for to me. Discovering new samples that I dig up later.

When I first started about 1 and 3 months ago, yeah i used to sample of youtube. Then I invested in a TT about 4 months into my journey. I fell in love with digging.
But Ill still use YT when it's really dope.

I don't really have a problem with people who use youtube to get their samples, but they should try vinyls.

Last edited:
When I first started about 1 and 3 months ago, yeah i used to sample of youtube. Then I invested in a TT about 4 months into my journey. I fell in love with digging.
But Ill still use YT when it's really dope.

I don't really have a problem with people who use youtube to get their samples, but they should try vinyls.

this basically sums up my opinion. i love vinyl don't get me wrong. i just don't think youtube is as bad as a lot of people think. nonetheless i would sample from vinyl over youtube any day because the activity is more fun; it feels much more hip-hop that way.

I prefer to download music from iTunes. The sound quality is much better, which goes a long way in this industry. BTW, I'm hosting another battle for those who are interested.

When I want to use a sample I simply go on youtube and type in an artist's name that I know would have good samples i.e. David Ruffin, The Main Ingredient, Marvin Gaye...and you can usually find a username of somebody who puts up many soul songs or good songs to sample. Some of them are mrsoulman212, kevsoulman, veewee...

So when you sample off of youtube, are you able to download the mp3 or do you go by the material on cd or vinyl? How to you obtain the song.

Thanks

Beatsmith

On our rough times, I think buying a record without having checked it thoroughly, is suicidal. I even many times sample an mp3 and if there is going to be used, I go and buy the record.

So when you sample off of youtube, are you able to download the mp3 or do you go by the material on cd or vinyl? How to you obtain the song.

Thanks

Beatsmith
Asking and answering this question is treated as piracy and as such can result in being banned from the site. This is a warning

Really? Oh I was not aware!! Then this whole thread should not be permissible. No?

Youtube being a great resource is a true thing. But theres a difference between saying its a good way of finding samples and saying how do I download them. I personally use Youtube as a resource to learn about samples and then I go find copies on vinyl or cd. Thats not a violation of TOS to ask how to acquire copyrighted material illegally is however.

i don't think someone asking how to sample youtube wouldn't be allowed in a thread about the subject. asking how to download music for personal enjoyment on this thread, however, i don't understand.

Technically speaking, you can't get arrested for talking about robbing a bank, you can however obviously get arrested for ACTUALLY robbing a bank.

I agree with most of your points Kev, but that post shoudn't even result in a warning. There was no act of piracy, and too even be more technical, YouTube now allows CreativeCommons when uploading, so, whose to say he was gonna try and download a CC video?

Last edited:
Back