Youtube is a great way of finding samples IMO

allow me this one analogy...its the same way with microphones you can make all the USB type ones you want but if given a choice im sure most folks will take that NEUMAN all day!! besides it may be easier but that dont mean its right!! Its like anything else and Im so tired off folks playing hip hop cheap like shes some 50 cent ***** at the back of the bar!! there are many people that came before us and put a lot of sweat and time into making the music that we sample from... hell the least we could do is buy the records!! I mean really i see a lot of folks saying they dont digg they just download well to me thats like saying you "you hit it when you only got a sniff" which may be cool for frat boys but this is HIPHOP please take it seriously!!! Sure downloading is the New thang but where is the fun in that? Its not like your going to find some rare gem that might be tucked away at the bottom of a stack or 45ives or funk joint that was made by some local dudes in their hometown Nah!! youve got to get out there and make it happen aint no unknowns on line remember someone somewhere is up loading and so everybody has access..Sort of like the Dusty Fingers series While those songs are dope they were well used by the time those records came out..trust me (ahh famous last words) that joint you think you just discovered.. somebody on the otherside of where you live is doing the same thing and thinking the same way!! Yea records can be expensive,moldy,take up space,scratched up,wack,written on,broken easily,etc etc .. but for those who say there are no stores where they live and they dont have access heck what would you do if there was no internet??? Guess you wouldnt be PRODUCING/MAKING BEATS?? a lil angry this morning you bet!! Im just tired of people watering down HIPHOP with thier WACK BEATS and BAD IDEAS LOL... I mean just cause you can buy a DRUM MACHINE which honestly is easy enough that dont mean you can or should be making beats!! hahahah This is like any other art form Painters have to buy PAINT!!! Sculpters need Clay or some sort of metal... so you get out what you put in and in this case if anyone is lost its called EFFORT!! Part of the problem is that most people listen to music in thier cars (and some in bars) so the quality of the music has changed!! especially now that everybodys a DJ.. side note: SERATO like TRAKTOR pick your favorite doesnt make you a better DJ just thought i'd add that but it is a great way to store your music!! Okay not hating im just saying in the end it does matter or at least it should where you get you music from..Songs done with MP3s im sure you would find it hard to tell but if I come to your Crib you better be able to show me the album/45/cassette/8trk or theres gonna be a problem hahaha enjoy where ever you get your music from and just make dope beats!!!

Last edited:
youtube is great for finding samples, but I try to just use it as a reference for when I go digging for vinyl. Before youtube, I used to use rhapsody, but it costs like $10 a month. Great way to discover new music though

If it's hot it's hot. Sometimes people on here can be snobbish but when the only sampled song's on the radio are producers re working samples that were used in hit records in the 90's then i guess the you tube thing can work. You also have to remember that many of the producers that guys on here ride were from a time in which they needed to grab obscure samples so they wouldn't get hit on royalty checks. If your making beats in your room to rap over for a free mixtape then go for it. Not everyone has the bread for a usb turntable and vinyl so whatever gets the job done is good enough for me.

If it's hot it's hot. Sometimes people on here can be snobbish but when the only sampled song's on the radio are producers re working samples that were used in hit records in the 90's then i guess the you tube thing can work. You also have to remember that many of the producers that guys on here ride were from a time in which they needed to grab obscure samples so they wouldn't get hit on royalty checks. If your making beats in your room to rap over for a free mixtape then go for it. Not everyone has the bread for a usb turntable and vinyl so whatever gets the job done is good enough for me.
its being snobbish to have standards? And if someone really doesn't have the $99 for a usb turntable chances are you shouldn't be doing music anyway because you probably can't afford to really do it right. The Im too broke excuse is hardly an excuse.

I agree. dont make excuses about being broke lol.. I went and donated blood to the bio mat and got up early as hell to go to labor ready when I didnt have a job so i could cop my speakers..

But yeah.. dont resort to youtube..
*cough soulseek cough*
did i say that too loud?

If you can't afford a cheap TT, how can you afford a DAW to make beats?

Too many cracked FL users...Free DAW, cracked drum kits, silver-plate fed samples...

Invest in yourself and in your talent.

- No, to be snobbish is to be ignorant to music due to certain connotations that you yourself impose on it from your high horse. Music is and has always been a diverse artform and there are people making music on broadway with broom sticks and trash cans and I don't see people questioning their musical credentials. Unfortunately too often on these forums people are discouraged from making music through unconventional channels. It's too often that people will make decisions on how good something will be before hearing the music all because it was made with FL or maybe on an older MPC. Don't believe the hype, a lot of music you hear today isn't nearly as sophisticated as you'd like to think. People don't care if you sampled off of vinyl, off of youtube, or even some sounds off of your blackberry. If it's hot, it's hot and that can't be denied. Don't confuse good music for music that's good technically. Sometimes beats just get dumped off the MPC and rapped over an all time great before it's mixed or sometimes you loop an 8 bar sample and it becomes a classic. So to answer your question sir a music snob is someone who wouldn't know good music if it slapped them in the face due to their inability to get over their own musical bias.

- For you to say that someone who doesn't have $99 shouldn't make music just makes u look like a judgmental elitest. If broke people didn't participate in music we wouldn't have some of the greatest artists of all time. Everyone starts somewhere and not everyone can start where you obviously did. Don't be a dick about it. BTW I'd bet 9th wonder's first version of FL wasn't a full paid version.

- No, to be snobbish is to be ignorant to music due to certain connotations that you yourself impose on it from your high horse. Music is and has always been a diverse artform and there are people making music on broadway with broom sticks and trash cans and I don't see people questioning their musical credentials. Unfortunately too often on these forums people are discouraged from making music through unconventional channels. It's too often that people will make decisions on how good something will be before hearing the music all because it was made with FL or maybe on an older MPC. Don't believe the hype, a lot of music you hear today isn't nearly as sophisticated as you'd like to think. People don't care if you sampled off of vinyl, off of youtube, or even some sounds off of your blackberry. If it's hot, it's hot and that can't be denied. Don't confuse good music for music that's good technically. Sometimes beats just get dumped off the MPC and rapped over an all time great before it's mixed or sometimes you loop an 8 bar sample and it becomes a classic. So to answer your question sir a music snob is someone who wouldn't know good music if it slapped them in the face due to their inability to get over their own musical bias.

- For you to say that someone who doesn't have $99 shouldn't make music just makes u look like a judgmental elitest. If broke people didn't participate in music we wouldn't have some of the greatest artists of all time. Everyone starts somewhere and not everyone can start where you obviously did. Don't be a dick about it. BTW I'd bet 9th wonder's first version of FL wasn't a full paid version.

Spoken like a true cracked FL user.

I'm not saying someone without $100 doesn't deserve to make music HOWEVER not having the funds doesn't justify making music with pirated software, plug-ins, and sounds. Soundsplash just showed that with a little hustle, you can get your producer game up. It can take sacrifice and commitment. But if your not willing and able to put in that extra work, then your music will likely be sh!t because you clearly don't have the passion for it.

And you are confusing a "hip-hop snob" with the fact that some people truly appreciate the history of hip-hop and the artform of producing at its roots - which required a lot more skill, commitment, love, and effort.

BTW I would take that bet on 9th any day. You think he spent cash on his TT and records yet downloaded FL? Reason he BOUGHT FL was because he couldn't afford an MP and the rest is history.

I'm not saying someone without $100 doesn't deserve to make music HOWEVER not having the funds doesn't justify making music with pirated software, plug-ins, and sounds. Soundsplash just showed that with a little hustle, you can get your producer game up. It can take sacrifice and commitment. But if your not willing and able to put in that extra work, then your music will likely be sh!t because you clearly don't have the passion for it.

And you are confusing a "hip-hop snob" with the fact that some people truly appreciate the history of hip-hop and the artform of producing at its roots - which required a lot more skill, commitment, love, and effort.

BTW I would take that bet on 9th any day. You think he spent cash on his TT and records yet downloaded FL? Reason he BOUGHT FL was because he couldn't afford an MP and the rest is history.

Yeah I absolutely started making beats with a cracked version of FL. Since then I've spent more money on making music that I ever thought I would at that time. That being said I've been on both sides of the fence and it's unfortunate that you would mascarade as a "protector of true hip hop" while actually being part of the problem. Hip Hops messages is one of inclusion and not judgement. Do you even listen to the words of the music on the beats you analyze for hours on end? KRS lived in a shelter in the south bronx when he wrote "the bridge is over". Like I said not everyone is fortunate enough to start out on top. Honestly if a 14yr old wanted to get into making beats how would you expect them to do so? Work and save? Many people are so broke they work their asses off just to keep the lights on. You don't know people's situations and you can't just hate on music because of its method of composition. I mean at the end of the day I guess we can all just follow what the flamers on FP say and all sound like Dillas wannabes right?

Last edited:
If you can't afford a cheap TT, how can you afford a DAW to make beats?

Too many cracked FL users...Free DAW, cracked drum kits, silver-plate fed samples...

Invest in yourself and in your talent.
I dont even mind the free stuff that is out there and available if its good its good who cares but the audacity of some people to say that if i cant afford it ill take it or the people who say im not wasting my money when I can get it for free. It hurts all of us in the long run if we do not support things we love.

You made up a whole bunch of bullshit that has nothing to do with being a snob. Its called pay your way or stay the hell out. You don't just sneak into a movie theater because you can't afford a ticket. You don't steal a pair of Jordans because you can't afford them. But people really feel justified in stealing music production software. This has nothing even to do with being broke. I saved my ass off to buy Reason 2.0 when it was $400 and I was making $400 a month. I had to find ways to get money to put my setup together. I can't respect anyone for not having the grind to do it also. Its one thing to be broke I am still broke but if you can't find your way to good will to buy a $20 turntable then music production isn't for you. The things required to really do this and make money from it are not always cheap. It has nothing to do with how much money you spent. I wouldn't care if you used Reaper a bunch of freeware vsts with a qwerty keyboard I am anti anyone making excuses for whats going on. Change your situation or STFU

I'm not saying someone without $100 doesn't deserve to make music
neither am I but what I am saying is that if $100 is a lot of money for you than this aint the right profession for you because a lot of the time you have to put up cash and you may not see anything back in return its just how it is.

what I am saying is that if $100 is a lot of money for you than this aint the right profession for you because a lot of the time you have to put up cash and you may not see anything back in return its just how it is.

I think this is the main point. Doing music is expensive as ****. No matter what sort of music you do, it is expensive. I mean I got like $1300 worth of equipment in front of me not including the laptop, TT and records. This is an expensive venture. Just the way it is.

you couldn't catch me dead making a beat out of a youtube ripped, 92kbps and lower sample.

imo, FP's flip this section is a way better place to find samples. but rather than leech for samples, i DISCOVER ARTISTS through the flip this section.

it puts artists on my radar so i can keep in mind who has good sh*t when i'm out digging. i've discovered a few dope artists just by browsing through the flip this section. cats like alan hawkshaw, stardrive, zap pow, verdelle smith, and more.

Youtube is great for finding samples. Just dont rip that shit. at least go to iTunes ar amazon and cop the mp3, of couse, finding the record is most desirable.

i sample YouTube all the time. i don't understand why someone would hate on it; there are a lot of songs up there that are hard to find even though they're up there for everyone to see.

i sample YouTube all the time. i don't understand why someone would hate on it; there are a lot of songs up there that are hard to find even though they're up there for everyone to see.

nobody hates on no one. But when you ll understand and learn to hear the differences in sound quality , you ll stop sampling straight from youtube.

its not hate its about sound fam. Its the same reason why you shouldn't sample from mp3. Especially if you are sampling bass and drums. You lose depth of sound which helps your mixes sound better in the end anyway. There are some really hard to find samples on Youtube sure but if they don't sound great whats the point?

nobody hates on no one. But when you ll understand and learn to hear the differences in sound quality , you ll stop sampling straight from youtube.

i see what you're saying. but if sound quality was all people wanted when sampling they would sample cd's and downloads not vinyl.

Back