Will the iPad ever replace the MPC?

Shit i am still waiting on mpcs go to 24 bit. The 4000 did but the others are 16 bit or in the case of the 60 12 bit. Meanwhile software has been running 24 bit since the late 90s

I think that sounds are just going to become better in quality and therefore it won't matter what the device is it will just be about the output more than anything.

Shit i am still waiting on mpcs go to 24 bit. The 4000 did but the others are 16 bit or in the case of the 60 12 bit. Meanwhile software has been running 24 bit since the late 90s

Exactly. The current iPad has the same specs sound wise as an MPC 1000/2500 and you can email yourself your track when your done or post it directly to your website, soundcloud, etc.

Yes I think so... Check out "AKAI - MPC Fly" on google.

AKAI have taken classic MPC hardware and added an iPad dock with custom app... Too awesome for words.

True and using a MIDI interface like iRig MIDI you can connect any MIDI controller to control tons of the great apps out there too!

im saying the ipad probably will replace the MPC because the MPC is an expensive piece of kit that does just one thing where as the ipad does multipul and seems better bang for the buck

im saying the ipad probably will replace the MPC because the MPC is an expensive piece of kit that does just one thing where as the ipad does multipul and seems better bang for the buck

Exactly! Plus when you take into account how many people already have an iPad or an iPhone/iPod touch there are tons of musicians already with these. They naturally will figure out a way to make music with them. Musicians love music, its in their nature.

The functionality of discontinued MIDI hardware does not diminish like computer products, so the MPC 60 still works the same way now as it did 24 years ago and it can still integrate with a modern computer using the same connections that it has always used.

Just found out that you can already pre-order the MPC Fly on Digital Village. (Just Google DV247 and then search for it on the site). It's around £160, (probably not including the app cost).

I can't see how this isn't a case of AKAI replacing their own product line with a product that actually competes in a contemporary market.

Imagine the MPC hardware / pads / swing algorithm then add: 16 - 64 GB of internal memory, the processing power of the iPad, the ability to edit samples and browse through multiple user interfaces on a touch screen.

Who knows what other support there may be for 3rd party plugins? Synthesis features perhaps?

AKAI will have the ability here to constantly update and add features to the app running at the core of the MPC Fly so there may well be a culture of demand - supply and feature requesting as there is with a lot of apps on the AppStore.

Honestly, I've owned 2 MPC's and this will beat the hell out of the stand-alone hardware... MPC's are fast becoming more of a collectors item than a serious production tool imo...

Don't get me wrong, MPC's are awesome but I think they may have had their time. As AKAI start exploiting new technologies such as the iPad, the stand alone hardware products will start to seem more and more vintage.

I'm with you there. I have owned 3 MPCS but always sold them in favor of software that can do more in less space and usually for a smaller price tag. The app model of the iTunes app store and iOS devices will always allow new features and entirely new apps to be used on the same hardware you already have.

I've been trying to sell my MPC500 for a couple of months with no joy... People aren't interested and those who are showing interest want it for peanuts.

Edit: for iPad apps - I'm using Arturia iSpark a fair bit as part of my mobile setup.

Last edited:
I've considered mpcs in the past but stuck to software and mpds tbh.
It seems like tablets and pads are the new mpcs so I just kept the desktop, kept a little windows tab and some pads all the way through.

The mpc fly...that is definitely a next gen mpc. Renaissance 2 hopefully is dope, the maschine is probably one already never touched any of em. Roland etc.
There's even sdcard mpcs called the mpx now.

Back