Will the iPad ever replace the MPC?

iPad won't ever replace the MPC.

but Maschine will :) lol

Why? Because there's features that users still want that are impossible to recreate with 0s and 1s. The biggest thing is "Feel". I'm one of those guys who wants to twist a knob and feel it twist. I want to hit a drum pad and feel the pad until my fignertips. I want to physically slide a fader up/down. If there continues to be a lot of people like that... the iPad can't possibly replace the MPC. Sure it can be very very useful.... but the lack of having a tangible feel is a big deal to a lot of people.

Unless... Apple develops a "pop up" touch screen!!!!!! Similar to how you have "pop up" books where the pictures pop up.... they could simply develop a touchable hollogram!!!!! lol (If they figured this out... none of you guys would ever have a girlfriend ever again lol)

You cannot beat on an ipad the way you beat on the pads of the MPC, thats what they were designed for. I'm Done

You are done. Lolz
Akai releases MPC Fly for iPad, waits 'til you get the pun (video) -- Engadget

At any rate, ANYTHING can be used to "make music".
You just said "thats what they were designed for."
Well, yes the reason behind something's creation, in many, ways does determine what it is and not always what it is used for.

The what it is, is my concern.

Even infra Dead Sees a "SAW" being used as something or doing something OTHER THAN what it was designed for.
By the way MPC stands for MIDI Production Center. Akai, later changed it to Music Production Center.
The name of your "MPC" explains it all.

So wait... OP made this topic to get all fanboy about the iPad??? The iPad peripheral craze is a fad... chances are five years from now the people who are fooling "producers" (read amateurs with disposable income) into buying this junk for the iPad will have turned their profit and moved on to the next big tech craze... The way you can tell is that no one has made any truly new technology to use with the iPad, they've simply adapted old tech to use with a new machine; hinting that they don't want to invest too heavily in the format because of how rapidly technology advances i.e. iPad is at v3 and it just released in 2010 and is a total different beast from the original

The iPad peripheral craze is a fad...

So is the iPhone. Thank god we all avoided that one. And judging by Apple, it's likely that it won't catch on and keep going.
[h=1]All-time Mac, iPad sales help Apple turn in record quarter:[/h]http://www.macworld.com/article/1163101/record_mac_ipad_sales_help_apple_turn_in_record_quarter.html

chances are five years from now the people who are fooling "producers" (read amateurs with disposable income) into buying this junk for the iPad will have turned their profit and moved on to the next big tech craze...

I'm not sure what this means even if it was true....

The way you can tell is that no one has made any truly new technology to use with the iPad, they've simply adapted old tech to use with a new machine; hinting that they don't want to invest too heavily in the format because of how rapidly technology advances i.e.
By your logic then, VSTs are still a fad since that's their history too. They started off emulating old technology and eventually came into their own, where some of the best VSTs in use today- probably now populating all those VST DA BEST lists have no hardware equivalent or lineage.

iPad is at v3 and it just released in 2010 and is a total different beast from the original
Which would be evidence of your claim that they are investing in it and updating the hardware.

Is it a foreign concept or idea to port existing technology to a new platform.
Saving R&D and giving people something they are already familiar with?

And seeing that the biggest names in hardware and software are diving in with apps, it's pretty hard to call this a risky venture at this point.

fooling "producers" (read amateurs with disposable income) into buying this junk

What are they Fooled About? Are you saying these apps don't make the noises they claim to? That the drums I program in the KORG ielectribe won't um...program right? Is it impossible to make my beats using any of this stuff?
Maybe IK Multimedia is Fooling is and linking an iPad to your regular keyboard to play the iPad VSTs doesn't really....link.

So that means anytime I use a product and stop using it- it means I was fooled by the manufacturer?
What's the difference between any amateur/guy with disposable money buying anything?
Am I more legit because I use Reason and a lap top? A drum machine? A workstation keyboard?

What's to prevent me from using my iPAd and the 40 apps I bought today, six or sixteen years from now?

When you consider what an MPC is capable of (Sampling, editing, sequencing, FX, MPC pad interface) then yes, there are many options that have replaced an MPC to many people. Even if they pieced it together themselves with a DAW, plug ins and a MIDI controller.

The iPad can definitely do the same thing with your choice of an app, midi controller and midi interface. In the next 3-4 generations you'll be able to run full versions of CPU heavy plug ins on an iPhone.

Think about that for a minute.

Yeah...

The iPad peripheral craze is a fad...

So is the iPhone. Thank god we all avoided that one. And judging by Apple, it's likely that it won't catch on and keep going.
All-time Mac, iPad sales help Apple turn in record quarter:

All-time Mac, iPad sales help Apple turn in record quarter | Macworld

chances are five years from now the people who are fooling "producers" (read amateurs with disposable income) into buying this junk for the iPad will have turned their profit and moved on to the next big tech craze...

I'm not sure what this means even if it was true....

The way you can tell is that no one has made any truly new technology to use with the iPad, they've simply adapted old tech to use with a new machine; hinting that they don't want to invest too heavily in the format because of how rapidly technology advances i.e.
By your logic then, VSTs are still a fad since that's their history too. They started off emulating old technology and eventually came into their own, where some of the best VSTs in use today- probably now populating all those VST DA BEST lists have no hardware equivalent or lineage.

iPad is at v3 and it just released in 2010 and is a total different beast from the original
Which would be evidence of your claim that they are investing in it and updating the hardware.

Is it a foreign concept or idea to port existing technology to a new platform.
Saving R&D and giving people something they are already familiar with?

And seeing that the biggest names in hardware and software are diving in with apps, it's pretty hard to call this a risky venture at this point.

fooling "producers" (read amateurs with disposable income) into buying this junk

What are they Fooled About? Are you saying these apps don't make the noises they claim to? That the drums I program in the KORG ielectribe won't um...program right? Is it impossible to make my beats using any of this stuff?
Maybe IK Multimedia is Fooling is and linking an iPad to your regular keyboard to play the iPad VSTs doesn't really....link.

So that means anytime I use a product and stop using it- it means I was fooled by the manufacturer?
What's the difference between any amateur/guy with disposable money buying anything?
Am I more legit because I use Reason and a lap top? A drum machine? A workstation keyboard?

What's to prevent me from using my iPAd and the 40 apps I bought today, six or sixteen years from now?

The fact that you are mistating and misunderstanding every valid point in every argument that differs from yours just adds to your fanboy quality... You should really, seriously if you are trying to have a discussion about a particular topic, attempt to understand what is being said by the other side, and not be blinded by your personal opinion and preference...

The point you attempted to make about VST's as a fad is so off base as to be utterly laughable... VST, the technology was DEVELOPED to emulate (in digital/software form) hardware... emphasis on developed... that means the technology didn't exist until they made it... true, pieces that comprise the whole of the technology existed but not in the form we know as VST... the technology that is used for iPad peripherals has existed for quite some time, it's simply been ADAPTED to cash in on the tablet market...

Just as the laptop was supposed to destroy the desktop market (which it didn't) the tablet is supposed to do the same to the laptop market (which it won't)... just as the next "big thing" will be alleged to do to the tablet market (but it won't); they will all find a way to exist in their own niches... Just as softies such as Battery, Geist, BFD etc. were supposed to lead to the demise of the hardware drum machine (which they didn't)...

The fact if the matter is that the companies that make these products rely on consumers to continuously buy and replace the disposable technology of the moment (tablets, smartphones, video game consoles, flat screen TVs etc.) because they know that people have a need to be in step with the forward progression of technology and will willingly fork over another 600 bucks for a slightly faster processor, better screen resolution and a little more memory...

If you choose to attempt to use an iPad sixteen years from now (which you wont, because by then the screens touch sensitivity probably will have died, along with the battery and most of the other components; which would be more expensive to replace than just find a new better alternative) then more power to you...

The thing they've fooled you people into is believing that you NEED these apps, and this or that peripheral... please explain why you need or wanted an iPad with apps for making music??? Is the sound quality that awesome??? Are there features that the apps have that your desk/laptop don't have??? Do you travel so much that you dont really have time to sit and make music at home or in the studio??? Or is it that you don't really know music so you need it to sketch out ideas in your favorite bite-sized DAW??? If any of these describe you then you've been fooled... plain and simply... instead of investing in these apps to sketch out ideas how about investing in some ear training CDs or music theory books so that you can just whip out a pad and sketch out an idea you have??? Im not claiming that I myself can, but I would much rather have a self realized or taught talent than the crutch that mobile technology can offer...

Just as the laptop was supposed to destroy the desktop market (which it didn't) the tablet is supposed to do the same to the laptop market (which it won't)... just as the next "big thing" will be alleged to do to the tablet market (but it won't); they will all find a way to exist in their own niches... Just as softies such as Battery, Geist, BFD etc. were supposed to lead to the demise of the hardware drum machine (which they didn't)...

If you choose to attempt to use an iPad sixteen years from now (which you wont, because by then the screens touch sensitivity probably will have died, along with the battery and most of the other components; which would be more expensive to replace than just find a new better alternative) then more power to you...

Two very good points.

iPad will not replace the MPC. Maschine has the best chance of doing that. In music, there will always be a serious need for the tangible/physical products. Otherwise, nobody would care about their keybed! I'd just get a touch screen monitor when Win 8 comes out and play chords on the screen w/ the Kontakt keyboard lol.

It's still very useful to have a portable tablet to control software and do things on the fly (assuming you already have one for reasons other than music)... but no.. Akai shouldn't be worried about the iPad running them out of business. They easily co-exist.

The thing they've fooled you people into is believing that you NEED these apps, and this or that peripheral... please explain why you need or wanted an iPad with apps for making music??? Is the sound quality that awesome??? Are there features that the apps have that your desk/laptop don't have??? Do you travel so much that you dont really have time to sit and make music at home or in the studio??? Or is it that you don't really know music so you need it to sketch out ideas in your favorite bite-sized DAW??? If any of these describe you then you've been fooled... plain and simply..

Why can't I say this about an MPC 500, 1000 etc....Same idea for EVERYTHING smaller and more portable.
same reason are switching from desktops to laptops....
And talk about what my desktop can do? That's the exact reason that lots of other products ARE replacing drum machines.

And you don't base anything on what people NEED. You base everything on what people WANT.
No one feels they NEED to buy these things. People like making crap and noodling around wherever they are.

A person who wants the latest gadget or tech at their fingertips is going to do and buy that. Got nothing to do with MPCs verse iPads.
If MPCs were all the rage, that person would own one (and if they been around for a while, they probably have owned one or two).

MPCs are not all the rage. That's why AKAI are making what people want. Stuff for iPhones, iPads and PCs.
Those are facts and not my opinion.
Just as softies such as Battery, Geist, BFD etc. were supposed to lead to the demise of the hardware drum machine (which they didn't)..
Drum Machines are groove boxes are becoming rarer and rarer while MIDI controllers with pads and dedicated interfaces are all the rage across ALL platforms and aspects of music (ask any DJ about the change.). Again, these are facts, not my opinion.

Can the iPad replace an MPC universally? No, not everyone will switch, but it is just one more factor in the major shift from stand-alone drum machines to well, everything else.

The thing they've fooled you people into is believing that you NEED these apps, and this or that peripheral... please explain why you need or wanted an iPad with apps for making music??? Is the sound quality that awesome??? Are there features that the apps have that your desk/laptop don't have??? Do you travel so much that you dont really have time to sit and make music at home or in the studio??? Or is it that you don't really know music so you need it to sketch out ideas in your favorite bite-sized DAW??? If any of these describe you then you've been fooled... plain and simply..

Why can't I say this about an MPC 500, 1000 etc....Same idea for EVERYTHING smaller and more portable.
same reason are switching from desktops to laptops....
And talk about what my desktop can do? That's the exact reason that lots of other products ARE replacing drum machines.

And you don't base anything on what people NEED. You base everything on what people WANT.
No one feels they NEED to buy these things. People like making crap and noodling around wherever they are.

A person who wants the latest gadget or tech at their fingertips is going to do and buy that. Got nothing to do with MPCs verse iPads.
If MPCs were all the rage, that person would own one (and if they been around for a while, they probably have owned one or two).

MPCs are not all the rage. That's why AKAI are making what people want. Stuff for iPhones, iPads and PCs.
Those are facts and not my opinion.
Just as softies such as Battery, Geist, BFD etc. were supposed to lead to the demise of the hardware drum machine (which they didn't)..
Drum Machines are groove boxes are becoming rarer and rarer while MIDI controllers with pads and dedicated interfaces are all the rage across ALL platforms and aspects of music (ask any DJ about the change.). Again, these are facts, not my opinion.

Can the iPad replace an MPC universally? No, not everyone will switch, but it is just one more factor in the major shift from stand-alone drum machines to well, everything else.

This dude just will not concede defeat... The MPC 500??? REALLY!!!!

It wasn't made simply to be portable it was also a cheap alternative for the beat maker who wasn't established and couldn't drop a grand on the 1k or 2 on the 2500... or 3k on the 3000... NO ONE, I Mean NO ONE
gave a shit that you could take it with you... the batteries you needed to constantly replace made sure of that...

Again you are wrong, companies with sense make products based on a necessity; they include FEATURES based on what the market wants... people actually NEEDED to take work with them, in a form less space consumptive than a macbook; thus the iPad was created... the fact that you can add peripherals to do music is an added value feature...

No, there aren't as many MPC fanboys as iPad fanboys...because there aren't as many MPC users as iPad users... because there are less MPC owners than iPad owners... because the MPC (Music Production Center) is a musical instument; used by MUSICIANS (see where Im going?)... there are many times less musicians than regular people in the world... The MPC will always be "all the rage" in its niche population... always...

The MPC will always be "all the rage" in its niche population... always...

Actually it's not.
Look at what everyone is using to make music. Hip hop and rap in general.
If you haven't seen this shift, I don't know what to tell you.

Keep on looking to defeat stuff then.

The MPC will always be "all the rage" in its niche population... always...

Actually it's not.
Look at what everyone is using to make music. Hip hop and rap in general.
If you haven't seen this shift, I don't know what to tell you.

Keep on looking to defeat stuff then.

what shift... there are plenty of people who use the MPC exclusively... there are plenty of people who use the MPC in collaboration with software... and you, obviously not being part of that niche population are in no position to say what is the rage in that circle... The thing with the MPC is that regardless of its limitations, a good producer will find a way to bend and freak it to their will... and you're not one of them...

If your talking sampled beats.
Technology doesn't advance this type of music much.
Creative ideas do, but what sampler you have, or what software your using matters so little in reality.
Freeware, or a $75 dollar used sampler from Ebay will produce pretty much the same results as any mpc, or top of the line software.
Talent, and creativity are more than just the base of music with samples, their almost everything.

Last edited:
Shit, they tried replacing the Turntable Controller with an IPod... barely anyone uses the IDJ app to scratch and mix. MPC's have that feel that an IPad can never get. Plus an IPod or Pad looks unprofessional.

You can't replace hardware with software.

Coupla things....
and you, obviously not being part of that niche population are in no position to say what is the rage in that circle.

I wasn't talking about any niche population, I was talking about music production. I clearly said that. saying MPCs is all the rage among...MPC users...means what exactly? You can repeat that for EVERY possible means of making music.
Aint FL Studio "All the Rage" among Fl Studio users. rinse and repeat. You didn't understand the cliche phrase "All the Rage" and the context I was using it in.

Fanboy is another one. You can't be a "fanboy" of something you don't own or use.

The thing with the MPC is that regardless of its limitations, a good producer will find a way to bend and freak it to their will... and you're not one of them...

Before I reply to this, let me make sure of what you are saying.
Are you saying I am not a good producer?
Are you saying I do not know how to freak an MPC?
Are you saying that I do not know workarounds for the 'limitations' of gear?

At any rate, here is the history lesson.
once upon a time the MPC and Drum Machines were ALL THE RAGE in production. Yeah, the kind we care about.
Then that system started facing challenges.
The MV8800 was a good one. Fact: All the debates about getting one or the other. Which is better etc...
Software(s) was another. Reason + Fruity Loops + + + Logic...++
NI Maschine was another and probably was its fiercest competitor to date.

AKAI's last three offerings didn't bury any of this competition or stop the shift.
As you said quite...loudly... the MPC 500 gotta be kidding....right?
The 1000 the 2,500 and even the 5000. Search on this forum for the general beef with all those releases.
Pages and pages of anger. You certainly wouldn't say any of those pieces became the rage.

How many people said AKAI was finished and washed up and fell off after the Numark merging?
Are these statements the stuff of facts or my opinion or is it simply the HISTORY of what happened?

Does every producer want their drum machine to connect to their DAW? Yes.
Is there ANYONE in 2012 who still wants to track-out their beats? No.

Even the Beat Thang seemed like a contender for what it promised.
AKAI probably thought just like you. "Meh all these VSTs and softwares and Fruity-Reasons. We got tradition, a ton of users. MPC fanboy diehards and...and...a magical swing. Let's just chill, keep doing what we been doing and wait for this fad to blow over."

Ooops. Big mistake. Now they are scrambling to catch up to NI Maschine and at least they are now forward-thinking be releasing something for every system of production you could be using. An iPad, iPhone and MIDI controller + Software.

The MPCs greatest competition might actually come from AKAI. Think about it.

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

=======================

Shit, they tried replacing the Turntable Controller with an IPod.

Scary statement since you just pointed to a controller replacing turntables.
Hardware has been replaced with controllers.
Controllers + Software is where it's at.

I ment it in a dumbed down variant. If I just called it a controller people here would probably think I was talking about something you plug into a playstation, rather a doubled decked DJ controller. Turntables and controllers are way different from each other.

they are there own worst enemy that's for damn sure.

exhibit A Wanna See Some Bullshit? | analogindustries.com

Coupla things....
and you, obviously not being part of that niche population are in no position to say what is the rage in that circle.

I wasn't talking about any niche population, I was talking about music production. I clearly said that. saying MPCs is all the rage among...MPC users...means what exactly? You can repeat that for EVERY possible means of making music.
Aint FL Studio "All the Rage" among Fl Studio users. rinse and repeat. You didn't understand the cliche phrase "All the Rage" and the context I was using it in.

Fanboy is another one. You can't be a "fanboy" of something you don't own or use.

The thing with the MPC is that regardless of its limitations, a good producer will find a way to bend and freak it to their will... and you're not one of them...

Before I reply to this, let me make sure of what you are saying.
Are you saying I am not a good producer?
Are you saying I do not know how to freak an MPC?
Are you saying that I do not know workarounds for the 'limitations' of gear?

At any rate, here is the history lesson.
once upon a time the MPC and Drum Machines were ALL THE RAGE in production. Yeah, the kind we care about.
Then that system started facing challenges.
The MV8800 was a good one. Fact: All the debates about getting one or the other. Which is better etc...
Software(s) was another. Reason + Fruity Loops + + + Logic...++
NI Maschine was another and probably was its fiercest competitor to date.

AKAI's last three offerings didn't bury any of this competition or stop the shift.
As you said quite...loudly... the MPC 500 gotta be kidding....right?
The 1000 the 2,500 and even the 5000. Search on this forum for the general beef with all those releases.
Pages and pages of anger. You certainly wouldn't say any of those pieces became the rage.

How many people said AKAI was finished and washed up and fell off after the Numark merging?
Are these statements the stuff of facts or my opinion or is it simply the HISTORY of what happened?

Does every producer want their drum machine to connect to their DAW? Yes.
Is there ANYONE in 2012 who still wants to track-out their beats? No.

Even the Beat Thang seemed like a contender for what it promised.
AKAI probably thought just like you. "Meh all these VSTs and softwares and Fruity-Reasons. We got tradition, a ton of users. MPC fanboy diehards and...and...a magical swing. Let's just chill, keep doing what we been doing and wait for this fad to blow over."

Ooops. Big mistake. Now they are scrambling to catch up to NI Maschine and at least they are now forward-thinking be releasing something for every system of production you could be using. An iPad, iPhone and MIDI controller + Software.

The MPCs greatest competition might actually come from AKAI. Think about it.

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

=======================

Shit, they tried replacing the Turntable Controller with an IPod.

Scary statement since you just pointed to a controller replacing turntables.
Hardware has been replaced with controllers.
Controllers + Software is where it's at.

Turntables and controllers are way different from each other.

I agree. I was just noting how many modern DJs are using Serato (and the like) and controllers instead of actual turns.
I thought I seen it all with my CDJs. Never imagined this turn (no pun intended).

@Infra: An that post about AKAI was crazy. That actually needs to be NEWS somewhere. Painful.
I knew there was a problem when I read the manual for the AKAI XR-20 and saw it mistakenly called the Alesis SR-18.
Same manual, just different names used. Wow.

I think quite a few things have already replaced Mpcs. Most popular right now being Maschine which imo forced akai's hand to make the Mpc-Ren

The Only real reason things are "replacing" the MPC is price, you put all these things together with the MPC all at a same low price, ppl will be walking away with more MPC's

Back