Will the iPad ever replace the MPC?

The Only real reason things are "replacing" the MPC is price, you put all these things together with the MPC all at a same low price, ppl will be walking away with more MPC's
Mpc's are great and all but technology has moved beyond that and most people are acknowledging that. People want something that's easy to use, portable, and flexible. The hardware mpc series (not including the new software based ones) are not that. They are secluded boxes. There is a reason why people are buying Komplete Ultimate by the boatload but Mpcs are still sitting around at guitar center and on ebay. Price has little to nothing to do with it. I own a 2000 but I would much rather use Giest. I haven't thought about my mpc in over a year.

right here

One for free hour of training/consulting click on the banner in the sig.
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve

Your not replacing hardware with an iPad. Its the fact that an iPad is just a "brain". It can do whatever you want, including picking your own MIDI controller to control it with.

Shit, they tried replacing the Turntable Controller with an IPod... barely anyone uses the IDJ app to scratch and mix. MPC's have that feel that an IPad can never get. Plus an IPod or Pad looks unprofessional.

You can't replace hardware with software.

it wont hardware is still king :)

King of what? Maschine has been murdering Mpc sales for the past few years. People have been selling mpcs left and right for Maschine. The hardware vs software battle ended years ago. Software won.

Exactly. Its not here to replace your hardware, its a way to breathe life back into your hardware. Using an iPad with an MPC is amazing, trust me I use this set up myself and another producer from my camp does as well. Plus with all the apps available I'm looking at using an iPad as a serious tool for DJing too with iRig MIX and DJ Rig.

I believe the MPC changed how music was made when it was released. A new workflow and new technology. Now that the technology is old and that workflow is nothing new I full expect to see similar technology and workflow on iOS. Especially with the wide range of apps available you could be making a beat, then tweeting, then emailing and back to sample chopping. All while your on the train on the way home.

I believe the iPad WILL replace the MPC. Especially with your choice of a decent portable midi controller.

Last edited:
No I do not think the iPad will replace the mpc never. Now do I use my iPad along with my mpc yes any samples and drum kits I put in my mpc 2000xl I put in my iPad. I use my ipad as my on the go studio the program I use is beatmaker2 so where ever I go I got mpc kits with me I'm just waiting on the mpc fly app to make my studio complete. MPC 4 Life:hello:

As long as our beatmaking forefathers are still banging out joints, Akai isin't letting go of the MPC ever.

Pete Rock had once said in response to the question, "there is something about vinyl [as opposed to Kanye's CD sampling methods] that is so hip-hop"

And in my opinion, there is something about the MPC that is so hip-hop. Will vinyl sampling ever go away? I don't think so. Will the MPC ever go away? I don't think so.

As long as our beatmaking forefathers are still banging out joints, Akai isin't letting go of the MPC ever.

Pete Rock had once said in response to the question, "there is something about vinyl [as opposed to Kanye's CD sampling methods] that is so hip-hop"

And in my opinion, there is something about the MPC that is so hip-hop. Will vinyl sampling ever go away? I don't think so. Will the MPC ever go away? I don't think so.

I love Pete Rock I really do but how relevant is he in this argument. He is not making music for the youth who are always looking for whats next and what's hot. He is in a lane with his fanbase where he will pretty much sit for the rest of his career. He can't come out and start making trap beats and keep his fan base. He couldn't drop a dubstep album and cats **** with it u know. That being said vinyl is very important to the sound of the kind of music he does. For the youth it just doesn't sound right.

I love Pete Rock I really do but how relevant is he in this argument. He is not making music for the youth who are always looking for whats next and what's hot. He is in a lane with his fanbase where he will pretty much sit for the rest of his career. He can't come out and start making trap beats and keep his fan base. He couldn't drop a dubstep album and cats **** with it u know. That being said vinyl is very important to the sound of the kind of music he does. For the youth it just doesn't sound right.

I see your point and yeah I guess that is true. I was always one to be a fan on the old stuff and always diverted myself away from the new and hot joints coming out now. I definitely stay away from this trap faze that is going on right now at least thats for sure.

Who knows man, I mean even the most relevant cats in the business are MPC users (Yeezy, 9th) as well as the up and coming or already hot producers right now like Araab, 88 Keys.
This is just my opinion, sure the masses will in general prefer a portable on the go type of machine that will do the trick, but these big shot producers no matter what their relevancy will keep their MPCs and use them in their $100 000 studios. Just my prediction for the future.

If you think vinyl is so hip hop and CDs aren't you should also compare who made more money between those two. I don't think the MPC will ever go away. Its name and legend will be enough to keep it around for years to come. But personally I have tried to go back to an MPC based set up and still couldn't do it. The iPad will just get faster and faster with more ram and hard drive space. The point will come, even if you don't see it yet, its coming.

I see your point and yeah I guess that is true. I was always one to be a fan on the old stuff and always diverted myself away from the new and hot joints coming out now. I definitely stay away from this trap faze that is going on right now at least thats for sure.

Who knows man, I mean even the most relevant cats in the business are MPC users (Yeezy, 9th) as well as the up and coming or already hot producers right now like Araab, 88 Keys.
This is just my opinion, sure the masses will in general prefer a portable on the go type of machine that will do the trick, but these big shot producers no matter what their relevancy will keep their MPCs and use them in their $100 000 studios. Just my prediction for the future.

Kanye has moved to Logic as far as I know. And I wouldn't call 9th all that relevant anymore to most listeners. Araab is more known for playing mpcs fast than his beats and 88 keys has been around forever. Guys who have been on mpcs for a long time I doubt will switch over night. But most relevant producers in music today overall are using Pro Tools, Logic, Fruity Loops or Maschine. There are quite a few Live and Reason guys too but i don't think there are nearly as many as the other stuff. But that stuff isn't that important the thing is the industry especially in hip hop is constantly changing adding new artists and as things get cheaper more people will get something and get good with it and spend as little money as they can to get started its just how it is. Ipads are the future Iphones are the now. There is a 9year old kid making beats on his Iphone right now that has some major heat. Hell the dude who produced Kanye's power has a son whos like 13/14 now he used to post his beats here when he was 11 and was dumb nice.

It's interesting. Years ago I made a bad joke about dudes "Studio Picture" becoming nothing than a computer, monitors and a MIDI controller.
Funny thing is, that has come to pass as that's the majority of studio shots nowadays. Also, these cats like to include a boxed version of whatever they use so you know they are official and not using cracked softwarez.

And of course there were lots of hold outs that said software would never replace hardware. They are right.
Software became hardware. MIDI controllers are king in every field. Same interface tied to a much bigger brain.

Same thing happened with the PC verse Console war.
Consoles won by becoming PCs. The entire culture changed. Remember when it was the PC's Gigs verse the console's bits?
Which was better? Them days is done. An Xbox and PS are straight PCs in a box. You only think you got still a console.

Some old cat will be screaming that his Hardware is best while the guy screaming software is best is using the exact same box with a USB port slapped on the back.

So true. I see most studio set ups online as a BIG monitor, speakers/interface and a midi controller. They are really ballin' if they have acoustic treatment! The studio will keep getting more and more portable as technology advances.

The iPad is just a tablet computer.

I don't know why everything has to be a chain of command; MPC replacing drum kit, maschine replacing MPC, iPad replacing Maschine, iPad replacing Piano, Nexus 6 replacing humans. If there was a zenith for music production, maybe we should get back to using that, using the thing which was at first, replaced. What was it, human hears? economy? colonisation? the less divulged and refracted state of earlier human consciousness?

MPC sounds better than an iPad. :p

What a joke...
The Ipad will not be functioning 5 years from now, whereas its not unusual to see hardcore MPC heads banging away on machines that are 10, or 20 years old...
Its for rich kids that think that music can be created anywhere, even on the toilet, at the dinner table, while watching "Jersey Shore."
Hahahahaa...
Try taking your precious IPAD3 to the pawnshop when theyve come out with the IPAD 4...it has no intrinsic value, but MPC 60s are actually increasing in value...I just saw one on EBAY for $1000...

Back