Tutorial: Sequencing Software Instruments From Hardware

PELicanWord said:
What were you sequencing on in the video>?

I was sequencing on the AKAI MPC1000. The software instrument is SampleTank XL 2. Cool that it works for you now... You can also enjoy the LATEST POST thing at the top too now :) (I bellieve this also needed Flash 8)

So, what did you or would have you tracked that to? Not the MPC right? because your just using the MIDI out function... DAW?

PELicanWord said:
So, what did you or would have you tracked that to? Not the MPC right? because your just using the MIDI out function... DAW?

Cubase, or any DAW software

next videos will be about that. I made sure to keep everything as focused as possible here :)

I just dived in the deep end, I baught a mixer an mpc1000 and have very little idea on how to use them, its all well and good using em on they own but i have a feeling im going to deal with a few headaches! HAHA ah well ill pick it up

(mano on smartie's computer)

make sure to post each question you have in a specific forum to get answers. It looks like you will need to learn how to send soudns to the separate outs on the MPC and into channels on the Mixer, etc.. When I get my mixer back from repair (!) I might shoot a video on that.

congrats on your new gear, good luck with it!

Last edited:
yo mano is there anyway to download this video so i cna add it to my folder of mpc vids i have on my computer to watch and remember ****? thanks

mano thanks for the video but im going to get an akai mpc 1000 but would you please tell me what i should start out with thanks,

damarious

Mano, Awesome Video, Now my questions is, I have the Mbox 2 with Pro Tools and a Korg Triton Studio. Do i plug the "OUT 1" from the Korg to the "IN 1" on the Mbox instead of the 1/4" Jacks??

Thanks

Yes

Well not instead of quarter inch jacks.
Quarter inch jacks are what you need if you want to hear something…

The midi cables are there to control… Let me know if this makes sense

Take care

mano 1 said:
Yes

Well not instead of quarter inch jacks.
Quarter inch jacks are what you need if you want to hear something…

The midi cables are there to control… Let me know if this makes sense

Take care

Looks like today took a turn on events. i ended up buying a Makie 1202 Mixer and an MPC1000. now is it the same basic principles of plugging
them all through the Mbox?

Dom, the Mackie 1202 was on Sale at L&M haha you buy that from there? yeah i was looking at that it was onsale for $275 i think. thanks for the help so far. hope you like the mpc1000 i saw jason was selling that for around $500 and it had barley bin used. i think that was a good find. as it stands, i swear we have the same set up haha

Last edited by a moderator:
In-Trax said:
Looks like today took a turn on events. i ended up buying a Makie 1202 Mixer and an MPC1000. now is it the same basic principles of plugging
them all through the Mbox?

Again this tutorial here does not talk about audio at all... only MIDI. More tutorials will come to deal with audio.

MIDI = control stuff (no sound)
Audio = carry the sounds

Congratulations :) ... I love Mackie's mixers (I used to have the 1604 VLZ PRO) and the MPC is a lot of fun...

Thanks again everyone for being on FP!!!

What's up mano, I really appreciate what you have been doing, just what you have showed us, has taken my production to the next level because I have more to work with.. THANKS!!

I have one question though...
Now I am controlling edirol super quartet with my MPC 1000 and have my korg triton as the midi controller, one problem is, when I want to track it out, and I hit Play into Cubase.. it's just like Cubase controlling the MP when I am tracking out normally correct? So I DO NOT need to hit play or start on the MPC?

Also, when recording do the tempos have to be matched correctly in Cubase and in the MP, if I am using Vsts on the computer and sequencing it with drum sounds on my MPC's harddrive that I use ( hitting hte pads)?

Lastly... I only get 1 channel, in super quartet on my MPC.. meaning the 1st sound preset is PIANO than, 1B-16B will be the piano, no matter if I change sounds on other channels or not... ( I use 1A-16A for my triton).. therefore... what am I looking for on the super quartet, or am I doing something wrong in the MP?

I have two midi cables Midi out/in to my tritons midi out/in and than a USB midi UNO from my PC to the midi out/in B to my MPC 1000..
sorry if this is complicated and thanks!

OK here is my question, let's say I just made a beat doing exactly what you just showed in the video, now I'm ready to save the sequence and the program into a ZIP or whatever, OK I do that and shut down the MPC and the computer, the next time I power everything back up and load up the sequence and the program to the MPC is evrything going to be where it is supposed to be? meaning does the MPC remembers which sounds from whatever module I was using are supposed to be used for the beat? Does the MPC tell the computer or the module which sounds to bring up? or do you have to hunt down the sounds again or write them down in a piece of paper or something so that you can set everything back up later? I know this may sound like a very stupid question for a lot of people, but I'm used to sampling all my sounds into the MPC and going from there. But once I saw how you just did what you did in the video I realized the possibilities of using that type os system and I find it interesting.

^ Answering your question MPC2kXl... no the MPC does NOT find which software Vst sounds u were usings... therefore you save the PROJECT in the software in which u were using the VST.. like, if ur using cubase and have sample tank 2 up and make beat 1, on the MPC you save it as beat 1, therefore u save the project in which u have sample tank 2 and the correct sounds up as beat 1..

That make sense?

1 - Ok , but if I use a sequencer with 8 vsti and reason rewired. The mpc will be use for the drums only. If I press play in sonar is the mpc will start too and everything will. If yes it mean that I could plug a triton in the mpc and it will start too.

2- Do it really change something if I sequence in the mpc or in reason with a trigger finger. Does the drums will groove more in the mpc

THANKS

Back