Tutorial: Sequencing Software Instruments From Hardware

greaat video i have sampletank and couple midi interfaces but could never figure out how to use themm (ended up using software that set-it-up automattically) so thanks for this video.

Steve Bless said:
Dude if you only knew how much this has helped me. Thanks a lot.

Great! This is why FP is here.

PhobikONE said:
By the way, how do you like the MidiSport 8x8? Looks impressive, 128 MIDI I/O channels is very useful, just wanted your thoughts on that model.

I like it very much - it never failed... I don't use all the channels and I/Os (far from it) but it's nice to have extra ... You just plug it in and it works :) One cool feature: Standalone / Thru mode... When computer is off, I can still play my keys and control anything plugged to it. I tink it's fairly cheap too nowaday (starting to get old, probably can find it on ebay)

LateArrival101 said:
u should de-interlace ure video :-D

good stuff though brotha.

why does my video keep on stopping right when u say "midi cables"?

_chris

video stuff: still experimenting with various flash video settings - it gets better and better (see the editing of the previous video: OUCH!). Good point, expect the next one to improve again ;)

It shouldn't stop - try refreshing the page. It should buffer a few seconds of play and then stop to the next point where it needs to buffer (but DSL/Cable users should not see any loading)

:cheers:

MGTSubstance said:
greaat video i have sampletank and couple midi interfaces but could never figure out how to use themm (ended up using software that set-it-up automattically) so thanks for this video.

:cheers: Excellent!

This is what it is all about: making a difference for hundreds or thousands of people who need to plug their toys together and enjoy making their music at last :D

Last edited:
and after you make your beat...how would you go about tracking your beat out into a program?

this is why i use this site exclusively.
thanks mano, the tutorial was bang on. I have close to the exact same setup which makes my configuration nightmares turn into more beat making time.

thanx again!

kindred m.t. said:
and after you make your beat...how would you go about tracking your beat out into a program?

i'd like to know the answer to that question as well. i've been scratchin my head on that one for a minute....am i simply recording the midi data or the actual audio into my mab book pro?

Last edited:
kindred m.t. said:

Next video :)

(I think I said that on page 2 here... Synchronization & Tracking with DAW)

fokust said:
this is why i use this site exclusively.

i'd like to know the answer to that question as well. i've been scratchin my head on that one for a minute....am i simply recording the midi data or the actual audio into my mab book pro?

:cheers: thank you!!!!

Video is coming... explaining EXACTLY that process...

Hint: record actual audio tracks from your MPC (or any hardware) into your computer recording software and leave the MIDI in the MPC (or any hardware sequencer).

Audio and MIDI are separate things... They can work together but you don't *have* to move it to your audio recording program at all.

Gepsy said:
mano your workin overtime haha, thanks for your dedication!

Always!

Last edited:
Good stuff Mano 1

I would like to add that if you don`t have a midi interface on your compters,you can get M-Audio`s ( MIDISPORT ) USB To Midi cable to make this connection,and that are only like $20..

Retard

i feel like such a retard.. what do i click on to watch the tutorial im clicking on the links on the side but nothing happens..(im such a loser)

thats what i did it doesn't open though... maybe my MAC is sick (that sux) well to say the least it sounds like a great tutorial

VYCityMusic said:
i feel like such a retard.. what do i click on to watch the tutorial im clicking on the links on the side but nothing happens..(im such a loser)

install Flash player version 8

you *should* see a yellow box at the very top of the site which says you need to upgrade that, with a link to it.

you are probably not seeing the cool "latest post" feature either then (toward the top as well)...

I think you've explained it very well and the visual acts as a "fool proof" explanation....well done good effort....

hey mano when you sequence the sampletank vst in to your mpc is midi just involved? and no audio cables recording your interfaces output?

lets say i take the mpc 4000 and hook the midi/in and midi out the same way you have showed will i be able to sequence like that?or is there audio involved for recording to?

since said:
hey mano when you sequence the sampletank vst in to your mpc is midi just involved? and no audio cables recording your interfaces output?

lets say i take the mpc 4000 and hook the midi/in and midi out the same way you have showed will i be able to sequence like that?or is there audio involved for recording to?

No audio is involved to SEQUENCE midi, no. The computer makes sounds (sample tank notes) and it's plugged to a mixer (and then speakers).

Next video will show how to RECORD AUDIO into the computer, from SampleTank but also from external source (MPC) - and synchronize... It is also called "TRACKING".

But Tracking is not part of sequencing, so no... sequencing = no audio involved.

MIDI sequencing is like a REMOTE CONTROL (make this note! now make this note! ... etc ...) no audio is transmitted either way.

yo, the video is great, thanx Mano

How is the Software called that you use in the video?
It seems, that the plugin has a lot of great sounds...

mano 1 said:
No audio is involved to SEQUENCE midi, no. The computer makes sounds (sample tank notes) and it's plugged to a mixer (and then speakers).

Next video will show how to RECORD AUDIO into the computer, from SampleTank but also from external source (MPC) - and synchronize... It is also called "TRACKING".

But Tracking is not part of sequencing, so no... sequencing = no audio involved.

MIDI sequencing is like a REMOTE CONTROL (make this note! now make this note! ... etc ...) no audio is transmitted either way.
:cheers:

thanks i have one other questions how do you save the work between the sequence? do you make the beat and track it and dont save just save the project from your tracking software? or is there a specific way you can load and save the beat on the mpc and it will remebr the patches from sampletanks-

thanks again ..great site

your girl - since

I just save the MPC files+sequences on the MPC, and on the computer I save a Cubase project which has the right VSTs loaded with the right patches.

Back