propellerheads are soon gonna announce something new/ The Reason 5 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all honesty I could care less about keyswitching lol but that's just me I have no use for that feature in my software but if that what floats your boat be my guest, I need real guitars ill call up my guitar player to record straight into reason I chop up the parts I like and go in. I'm just talking about the sound all the features of the vsti I really don't desire.. I'm good with what I have now which is more than enough to get the job done and sell some beats.

this is understandable seeing that Record/Reason is your "main" production setup. again, (in my opinion) Record/Reason are catching up with other companies (i.e. dr. octorex = stylus rmx). keyswitching, articulations, scripting are the up and coming technologies in the music making business. the new kontakt 4.1 sampler is very nice...

all i am going to say is when you get a chance to demo vir2 electri6ty (only sample library built for kontakt 4.1 so far) check it out. my Reason background is not as great as yours but if/when you check out vir2 electri6ty try to figure out how many reason devices it takes to make one vir2 electr6ty patch and how to mimic the sounds coming from the instrument...

p.s. i know your "guitarist" is a person of his/her word but "most" musician are unreliable. they say they are going to be there at 12 to never show up. that is why companies like native instruments and spectrasonics are taking music to a whole new level with cutting edge technology. Basically, f*ck calling in a guitarist, we now have a tool to replace him (just like the drum machine replace drummers)...

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

do those vsts do it for their own bank or every sound on your system

stylus rmx, trilian and omnisphere only for their own banks. you could play your trilian sound library thru omnispheres (i.e. like trilian is a refill for omnisphere)...

with kontakt all the kontakt powered libraries performs like refills. kontakt has an "attribute-based browser"...

stylus rmx is just drums and loops -

lets say your default setup in your DAW is as following:

DAW track 1 assign to Stylus midi channel 1 thru DAW track 8 assign to Stylus track 8...

assign kicks to midi channel 1 in stylus, snares to midi channel 2, hh to midi ch 3, clap to midi ch 4 and so on...

up front "most" individuals know that drums will be in there songs...

therefore, when you open your DAW you will have kicks across your keyboard (61 keys) on trk 1, snares across your keyboard on trk 2, and so on...

omnisphere has an "attribute-base browser" too....

omnisphere, kontakt, stylus rmx are multi-timbre instruments with multi-out, you only have to open them once. in Reason for every new sound you need to open a new devices...

therefore, if you have stylus set up for the first 8 tracks, omnisphere for the next 8 tracks and then kontakt for the last 8 tracks as your DAW default set-up you never have to open a device. just load the patches...

Last edited:
this is understandable seeing that Record/Reason is your "main" production setup. again, (in my opinion) Record/Reason are catching up with other companies (i.e. dr. octorex = stylus rmx). keyswitching, articulations, scripting are the up and coming technologies in the music making business. the new kontakt 4.1 sampler is very nice...

all i am going to say is when you get a chance to demo vir2 electri6ty (only sample library built for kontakt 4.1 so far) check it out. my Reason background is not as great as yours but if/when you check out vir2 electri6ty try to figure out how many reason devices it takes to make one vir2 electr6ty patch and how to mimic the sounds coming from the instrument...

p.s. i know your "guitarist" is a person of his/her word but "most" musician are unreliable. they say they are going to be there at 12 to never show up. that is why companies like native instruments and spectrasonics are taking music to a whole new level with cutting edge technology. Basically, f*ck calling in a guitarist, we now have a tool to replace him (just like the drum machine replace drummers)...

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

stylus rmx, trilian and omnisphere only for their own banks. you could play your trilian sound library thru omnispheres (i.e. like trilian is a refill for omnisphere)...

with kontakt all the kontakt powered libraries performs like refills. kontakt has an "attribute-based browser"...

stylus rmx is just drums and loops -

lets say your default setup in your DAW is as following:

DAW track 1 assign to Stylus midi channel 1 thru DAW track 8 assign to Stylus track 8...

assign kicks to midi channel 1 in stylus, snares to midi channel 2, hh to midi ch 3, clap to midi ch 4 and so on...

up front "most" individuals know that drums will be in there songs...

therefore, when you open your DAW you will have kicks across your keyboard (61 keys) on trk 1, snares across your keyboard on trk 2, and so on...

omnisphere has an "attribute-base browser" too....

omnisphere, kontakt, stylus rmx are multi-timbre instruments with multi-out, you only have to open them once. in Reason for every new sound you need to open a new devices...

therefore, if you have stylus set up for the first 8 tracks, omnisphere for the next 8 tracks and then kontakt for the last 8 tracks as your DAW default set-up you never have to open a device. just load the patches...
sounds very cool

sounds very cool

i just like things as simple as possible...

:sing:

even though i will have only 3 vsti open (stylus rmx,omnisphere, kontakt) i will have access to 13 dedicated sound libraries...

plus, since stylus rmx and omnisphere have pretty much the same interface you only have to learn 2 interfaces (omnisphere and kontakt) instead of the number of devices in Reason...

Last edited:
That's cool but all the cpu power that omnisphere consume wouldn't be good for me because I work differently than you but not a bad a idea at all I must say your workflow is that of hardware setup in sense, I'm not a big fan of the trilogy bass they sound too digital to my ears, I haven't heard trillian yet so I can't comment, omnisphere is cool but those sounds aren't my thing but who know maybe later on I might like them. But my worklfow is really simple I have my preset template already mapped out I know all my shortcuts which are already programed on my axiom pro I can search through all my sounds straight from the keyboard. So its a good look for my workflow the only time I touch the mouse is too move wires around in the back of reason plus I can save my session right from the keyboard which is lovely it works for me.

That's cool but all the cpu power that omnisphere consume wouldn't be good for me because I work differently than you but not a bad a idea at all I must say your workflow is that of hardware setup in sense, I'm not a big fan of the trilogy bass they sound too digital to my ears, I haven't heard trillian yet so I can't comment, omnisphere is cool but those sounds aren't my thing but who know maybe later on I might like them. But my worklfow is really simple I have my preset template already mapped out I know all my shortcuts which are already programed on my axiom pro I can search through all my sounds straight from the keyboard. So its a good look for my workflow the only time I touch the mouse is too move wires around in the back of reason plus I can save my session right from the keyboard which is lovely it works for me.

i own an axiom pro too, which has a personality file for ableton live and cubase (two apps i use)...

stylus and omnisphere has midi learn...

sounds are subjective...

but i would love to hear a acoustic bass or any electric bass come out of Reason like the ones in trilian...

cant happen...

no keyswitching!!!

to run these new technology plug-ins you need a nice machine...

why do you say omnisphere is a cpu hog?

the specs states exactly what type of machine is required...

explain you default template...

how do you know if you are going to start with thor, nn-xt, mastrom, subtractor, nn-19, redrum, dr rex, combinator or create a new device/sound first?

or what devices you are going to use to a song...

do have all the devices loaded?

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

a small taste of trilian...

http://www.spectrasonics.net/news/2010/artist-videos-george-duke-greg-phillinganes/

wow this thread is still going..
it's like all fp members are in this thread alone...

yea people always say vsts are computer hogs.. sure they are if you have a pentium 4

it says the system requirements, my computer is a corei7 quad, omnisphere and trilian run just fine

Last edited:
wow this thread is still going..
it's like all fp members are in this thread alone...

yea people always say vsts are computer hogs.. sure they are if you have a pentium 4

it says the system requirements, my computer is a corei7 quad, omnisphere and trilian run just fine

You don't even need that good a PC. Most DAWs have a freeze function. You can freeze the CPU hogs, carry on with your work and only unfreeze them to make changes.

The lack of that feature is the single biggest reason I left Reason.

You don't even need that good a PC. Most DAWs have a freeze function. You can freeze the CPU hogs, carry on with your work and only unfreeze them to make changes.

why would reason need freeze i cant think of a single cpu hogging refill lol.

My mac is a LiL old so I bounce all tracks to audio using buses
Plus I have more creative control with wav files and FX

That method waist no cpu and my beats are already tracked out

The refills are don't hog CPU. But start using many advanced combinators and you can use up your CPU very fast.

i highly doubt that very much i use reason all the time my biggest track i made was with 64 tracks of combinators my computer didn't hiccup not once and i still had room for more.

The refills are don't hog CPU. But start using many advanced combinators and you can use up your CPU very fast.
i have made some pretty deep combis never had a problem. then again I bus most of my fx too. idk if u r running your fx as inserts or not but that could be the difference

you like IK??? what stands out about them???

What up my dude? I got most of my stuff done, thought it would take longer but I am happy. :)

Ik is another great company, their products are top notch and support is top notch too. I love their Philharmonik because not only is it not expensive but it's really good and it sounds sonically great! I love Sonic Synth over 5,000 sounds that's really nice for one module to have. Plus I love their T Racks, I like the Deluxe series because instead of opening up iTunes to listen to my tracks I can open up the stand alone and drag and drop my tracks in it and listen to them on the fly. Also it converst aiff and MP3 files into wave in the blink of an eye, whoever thought of that is a genius. Plus their compressors are top notch and I love they gave them as singles that was hot! Sample Moog is really really hot! If you have this you don't need another. They just got some good stuff and always having a big sale like they have for Sample Tank you get 7 expansion tanks when you buy one for $49 dollars, that's crazy. :victory:

EastWest is hot too, I have made friends over their they will call me just to see how I am doing or to warn me about something. But I am going to take their one shots and and make them refills so I can use them in Record. :cheers: Record is my DAW!

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

why would reason need freeze i cant think of a single cpu hogging refill lol.

Yeah he sounded good until he said the freeze function was needed in Reason. I was scratching my head on that one. With Reason or Record you don't need that function, heck you probably can run Reason on one Gig of ram. I never heard of a refill either draining the CPU lol Tell me it aint so............! lol :cheers:

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

My brother X I highly doubt even if he was to put effects on every track it would give CPU problems. Reason was made sufficient for the CPU. Reason 5 now will enjoy the using of multi core processors which will add better performance and very well CPU management, Just like Record has now, so I doubt effects in Reason can boggle down a CPU like that of VSTs in a DAW say like PT or Logic. :cheers:

Last edited:
Reason can hit the cpu hard if you have an older system. i had to upgrade my system for Reason 4 from a celeron processor to a p4. And some demo songs in Record give my p4 some problems with 2 gigs of ram. Reason runs fine off of 1 gig of ram though if its a simple track. Props only requires 512mb

I hit the limits of my cpu in Reason 4(well more so a limit in the program with multicore cpu's),I use a i7 920 oc'ed to 3.3ghz ,the song plays all the way through but I get crackles around the end ,its a "benchmark" project with like 330 different loaded modules and the funny thing about the whole thing is while Reason said it was using all my cpu it only showed up using 10-12% in task manager...its obvious its not taking advantage of my whole cpu ,so imagine how it would be if it used all my cores and threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back