propellerheads are soon gonna announce something new/ The Reason 5 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Props only wants you to use thier products and brick by brick they are making it happen.

Stop saying this. It's BS. How many people on FP have said they bought and own more than one DAW? A lot, even in this thread. They don't care what you buy as long as you buy their stuff too.

Props make it as easy as they can to rewire reason with a DAW. The rest is up to the DAW maker to make a good implementation.

If they wanted everybody to only use their stuff, they'd have listened to the people who want VST support by now, among other things.

the way i feel about recycle is that it is ridiculously overpriced.

i can understand props closed system philosophy. but they created the rex format and then created recycle. no other program is allowed to create rex files because propellerheads won't allow it. look at the more feature laden (and cheaper phatmatik pro). props just has a monopoly on the rex creation market. and when a company has a monopoly on something they can charge whatever they want.

You may think Serato pitch and time for Logic is expensive too, at $500 - $650. That's fine though. They do alright anyway. Supply and demand. If nobody was buying recycle at the current price, I guarantee they'd lower it.

Other programs can create rex files. Mono rex to be exact. Only stereo rx2 files are exclusive to recycle. Stereo is overrated and misunderstood anyway.

what is funny about this statement is that if a cubase user used Reason they would say that Reason copied allot of things from cubase (midi editing included)...

you have both cubase and reason right...

in the drum edit you do not prefer the diamonds instead of what Reason uses?

how about the right click to get the edit pencil?

make a busy drum groove using a bass drum, snare and hi hat in both cubase and reason...

change the velocity of the just the hi hat in both Reason and Cubase and report back...

ok, someone is going to say who put bass drum, snare and hi hats in one clip...

ok, use hi, lo, med congos to a make a busy part...

change the velocity of the just the lo congo and report back...

also, keep in mind the steinberg/cubase use to work hand in hand with Props. question, do you think Props learnt anything about sequencers from steinberg/cubase?

but then again it is all preference...

last point, i do not know how long you have use cubase or what version you are on and what version you started but in my opinion it takes time to really understand how these software package work...

i have had omnisphere since it came out (about two) and only know about 30% of it and use almost everyday...
why would I lie about something as silly as a simple preference. Either way I owned Cubase SX 2, SX 3 and LE4. I keep LE 4 on my system but mostly because it came with my interface sold the other copies on Craigslist. I started with Reason 2.0 I simply know Reason better which is probably why I have a preference there. Then again I stopped using Cubase SX 3 and got Sonar Home Studio and really prefer Sonar over Cubase. I really just didn't like Cubase that much to begin with. Whats so hard to believe about that? I don't care if props got their ideas from Cubase or not I just know the way that I work I do much better in Reason. Either way I'm not going to argue about why other daws may be better than Reason or not and Im going to ask you to do the same.

Reason/Record will never be about individuals that yearn to incorporate hardware. they are about individuals that have started producing recently (new breed). they do not care if you use cubase, pro tools, etc for years they are looking at the new breed producers. they know cubase, pro tools, etc user are dying out and the only thing left will be these new breed producers that will be using Record/Reason...

Not true! So you're saying Reason (Record) is a "beginners' product"? That just simply doesn't make any sense.

Despite the lack of plug-in support, or hardware support, it's very possible to create a fully-fledged "professional" track/production using just those products. You'll probably still take the created audio files into Pro-Tools for mixing, but that's pretty much a given.

Also, it's used by composers/songwriters from all genres, not just hip-hop "producers". Just looking at the Artist movies on their site proves this.

Despite the lack of plug-in support, or hardware support, it's very possible to create a fully-fledged "professional" track/production using just those products. You'll probably still take the created audio files into Pro-Tools for mixing, but that's pretty much a given.

Also, it's used by composers/songwriters from all genres, not just hip-hop "producers". Just looking at the Artist movies on their site proves this.

Mr Duke, I have to agree 100% with you said, that was wise!

On Props demo of all five, with Kong it displayed HipHop and Euro/Trance beat, all other genres fall in between the two, Pop, RnB, Ambience, Dance Hall Etc.

Yes you can do a fully professional track without even going to Protools, and I am going to prove it. Fully arranged music, lyrics, fully mixed right there on the SSL mixer with effects, compressors the whole nine, take it to be mastered and that's it. It's one's ear and knowing what they are doing that can achieve the goal of making a professional track without going into another DAW and that's my mission in the first place. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------
World Wide of course the SSL mixer inside Record is not like the real SSL9000K in the real world, I am the one that made the comparison so I am answering. Neither in the real world are all SSL 9000k mixing boards the same either. What I was saying basically, and you didn't get is, I get all the same bottons and faders just like the SSL 9000k, a great emulation of the real one. I can do my thing in Record with what Props emulated for less than 100,000 Gees! Without spending $2,000 in electricity a month to run that when I can have all the same channels as the real SSL9000K. The Props Emulated SSL 9000K has the same channel strip of the Real SSL 9000k. Plus what I am saying is you can get a professional job done on Props SSL9000k for way less. I am not saying Props 9000k is exactly the same or better than a SSL 9000k. Props SSL 9000k emulates analog warmth very well, and I am pleased. That board is definitely wayyyyyyyyyyy better than the one they have in Reason. I always asked for a new board and boy did they ever over do it, and do you think I am angry? HELL TO THE NO!

At the end I will leave it up to the mastering department to do their magic and the recording I did on the SSL 9000k in Record will sound amazing without using a REAL SSL 9000k. At the end no one is really going to ask "was that done on the SSL 9000k?" They wanna know how hot that track is. That's the Bottom line with me is I don't have to use a 9000k hardware, I can acheive what I need with Props joint and keep it moving.

I could never think Props SSL 9000K is the same as the Hardware SSL 9000k, I have worked on enough of them to know that, so I am not insane at all, just making saying, I can keep my pockets wet and still make a good professional piece with Props SSL 9000K. I have a home recording studio, I wouldn't get a SSL 9000K, the most expensive board I have is the Yamaha O2R 24/96, and I got that because I need the sounds from the MPC to sound pristine, and crisp, with the wonderful AD/DA converters that board has, I can mix right there and send that track from the MPC on to stereo track and I am good.

Dudes trying to compare and say Waves SSL is better that Props emulation, their both emulations, how would one know? It depends on who is using the product. Props took years to get that SSL down and they did a good job. I wouldn't buy waves SSL as a VST because I already have one, plus I didn't try to get that when Record wasn't even around because I don't dig Waves policy, if I was to buy a Waves SSL I would have to keep paying every year, and why is that? if I buy a product I shouldn't have to pay annually for that product. Props SSL is cheaper and can get the job done the same, it's the person behind the software operation that counts!

Just to clear that up.

THIS IS ONE SEXY BOARD, BUT IT COST TOO!

125m6m9.jpg

Last edited:
Peace M21M, which piece will do you justice as far as chopping is concerned with you, Kong or the new NNXT?

Xabiton said that with kong you really wont need the NNXT much more. Kong does the job a lot better and faster. But i probably will test all them (Kong, NN-XT, Dr. Octo Rex) to see who do the best job for me. Because i cannot judge that one of them is bad or good, if i didn't tested them myself.

Xabiton said that with kong you really wont need the NNXT much more. Kong does the job a lot better and faster. But i probably will test all them (Kong, NN-XT, Dr. Octo Rex) to see who do the best job for me. Because i cannot judge that one of them is bad or good, if i didn't tested them myself.

Oh ok, true dat, I understand your position.

Funny thing is, I only used the NNXT a couple of times because I really don't chop like that. Never used the NN19. But I do use the Dr Rex so that would do me fine the way they made it. That Kong remind me of the MPC on steroids lol hahah that ish is crazy! I know Ima enjoy that and I want to know that piece very well.

I make more professional sounding beats in Reason then I do any other app
who ever said its for beginners is not so smart

people say that you can't make a professional sounding track in reason is because they depend 3rd party plugins to make there track sound hot. if you have the skill you can make anything sound good. you know how to use one compressor you know to use them all. a eq is a eq i hate when people try to justify a difference in eqs. its funny to me.

You may think Serato pitch and time for Logic is expensive too, at $500 - $650. That's fine though. They do alright anyway. Supply and demand. If nobody was buying recycle at the current price, I guarantee they'd lower it.

Other programs can create rex files. Mono rex to be exact. Only stereo rx2 files are exclusive to recycle. Stereo is overrated and misunderstood anyway.

ironically i work mostly in mono. when i mix down i usually mix most elements down to mono.

is zero-x beatcreator still available? i was under the impression that you couldn't get it anymore. are there any other programs that can create mono rex files?

Not true! So you're saying Reason (Record) is a "beginners' product"? That just simply doesn't make any sense.

i dont think funk is saying that reason+record is a beginners product. i think he's just saying that props are going after the "new breed of producers". from all the forums i've been visiting all the hype about reason 5 seems to be coming from reason users or past reason users. not a lot of people who are currently using another DAW and have never used reason are saying "this update looks great i might have to get reason".

if people start on something like cubase or logic they are unlikely to move to reason/record. ableton are currently taking a lot of new producers. i think funk is right in saying that props are going after this market.

if somebody created a thread tomorrow asking what software to get in order to get into production i would have 3 recommendations. flstudio, reaper and reason/record. with this update reason/record is positioning itself as the product anybody starting in production should go with. it has all the tools in the box already. everything you need to create and mix a fully professional track. no need for expensive plugins. no need for a super computer. no need to go hunting for lots of samples (the reason factory bank kills flstudio, and reaper has none).

that's not saying reason is a "beginners" product at all. you can get really deep into reason. i personally love it's semi-modular architecture. the sound sculpting possibilities are truly unique.

funk i know we've had our differences in the past and we may disagree over some things. but i do like what you bring to discussions on this forum. it's always good to get another point of view. it's all good.

ironically i work mostly in mono. when i mix down i usually mix most elements down to mono.

is zero-x beatcreator still available? i was under the impression that you couldn't get it anymore. are there any other programs that can create mono rex files?

i dont think funk is saying that reason+record is a beginners product. i think he's just saying that props are going after the "new breed of producers". from all the forums i've been visiting all the hype about reason 5 seems to be coming from reason users or past reason users. not a lot of people who are currently using another DAW and have never used reason are saying "this update looks great i might have to get reason".

if people start on something like cubase or logic they are unlikely to move to reason/record. ableton are currently taking a lot of new producers. i think funk is right in saying that props are going after this market.

if somebody created a thread tomorrow asking what software to get in order to get into production i would have 3 recommendations. flstudio, reaper and reason/record. with this update reason/record is positioning itself as the product anybody starting in production should go with. it has all the tools in the box already. everything you need to create and mix a fully professional track. no need for expensive plugins. no need for a super computer. no need to go hunting for lots of samples (the reason factory bank kills flstudio, and reaper has none).

that's not saying reason is a "beginners" product at all. you can get really deep into reason. i personally love it's semi-modular architecture. the sound sculpting possibilities are truly unique.

funk i know we've had our differences in the past and we may disagree over some things. but i do like what you bring to discussions on this forum. it's always good to get another point of view. it's all good.

definitely have a good point in this post. but i dont think people need to hop from one daw to another. like if someone is already using cubase, logic pro, sonar, reaper, or protools and they already have a good workflow i dont think they need to make a switch regardless of what comes out cause they will starting all over again.i dont think props are trying to snatch people who use other daws to convert to reason/record. i think that they making these ugrade for current reason users like myself and that good keep the people that love your products please because i feel that props products get sold based of word of mouth more so than features.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

by the way did i mention that i love reason and records new update.woohooo

people say that you can't make a professional sounding track in reason is because they depend 3rd party plugins to make there track sound hot. if you have the skill you can make anything sound good. you know how to use one compressor you know to use them all. a eq is a eq i hate when people try to justify a difference in eqs. its funny to me.

as i have stated before props fx are not the best in the world but i still like em and use em alot! i think that the fx provided in reason have a very musical vibe going on. There not your staple plugs thats i would personally use in the mixdown stage of my tracks but they seem to bring a musical value to every track i create.

i find myself using props fx to get the vibe of the track right. then when it comes time to clean things up i lean towards the vst's

please post where i said beginner please...

new breed does not mean beginner...

i wish it was possible but if you could look at musician friend catalog from 10 years ago compared to today you would see that it was "mostly" hardware (akai, roland, proteus, korg, alesis, etc) today it is "mostly" software...

therefore, the "new breed" producer/beatmaker has become exposed to more software than hardware...

that is what i mean...

but if you see where i said "beginner" please with all due respect post it...

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

Stop saying this. It's BS. How many people on FP have said they bought and own more than one DAW? A lot, even in this thread. They don't care what you buy as long as you buy their stuff too.

there are individuals that said they brought other DAWs...

but i am going from a article that Bernard (head of Props) himself wrote about 5 years ago about hardware and mpc. in this article he mashed the mpc (saying that Reason runs rings around the mpc) and said that Reason is a hardware replace.

therefore i was not going by what other do but by what i read from the head of Propellerhead...

if that is BS i will not listen to him again...

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

musical skills (actually knowing how to play) is the biggest attribute when making music.

it is not about vsti, reason, cubase, live...

making good music takes actual skills...

an individual that can play (actually play) could make "great" music with a cassette player or 4/8 track record and do not need cubase, reason, record, etc...

it is not about any tool...

it is the individual using the tool...

i would be the first to admit that i cant mix or master. these are real skill sets. we have this college kid at my job (summer intern) that goes to the university of miami for music engineering. and you guy talk like yall are in the same league as him. please go to the university of miami website and see what it takes to get into that program. while at the website see where these individuals get jobs.

what i am saying when i come to this forum is about real life experiences and not something i may "think" is right.

so what i am saying here is that i could not get into the music engineering program at university of miami...

question...

can you?

if you cant, the next question is what level are you really at compared to graduates of the university of miami...

i know someone has a friend that is better than anyone that ever graduated from the "U" but that individual is not the norm...

that individual that graduates from the "U" is looking for a job with 401k, health/dental insurance, 2 weeks paid vacation, etc...

with your skill (mixing/mastering)can you go to a job interview and ask for those benefits?

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

why would I lie about something as silly as a simple preference. Either way I owned Cubase SX 2, SX 3 and LE4. I keep LE 4 on my system but mostly because it came with my interface sold the other copies on Craigslist. I started with Reason 2.0 I simply know Reason better which is probably why I have a preference there. Then again I stopped using Cubase SX 3 and got Sonar Home Studio and really prefer Sonar over Cubase. I really just didn't like Cubase that much to begin with. Whats so hard to believe about that? I don't care if props got their ideas from Cubase or not I just know the way that I work I do much better in Reason. Either way I'm not going to argue about why other daws may be better than Reason or not and Im going to ask you to do the same.

i never said one product was better than another and if i did please post it. what i said was that cubase and Reason sequencer and midi editing is similar. where is that saying one is better than the other...

if would be nice if i could post something here without individuals reading between the lines. read what i actually wrote and digest that first then come back with you responses...

when you talk about being fair that is being fair...

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

when we talk about full production the Beatle did a few "full productions" with a 4 track recorder...

therefore if you could do a full production on a 4 track recorder and all that is involved then an individual with skills should be able to make a "full production" with any software package...

from band-in-a-box to whatever...

you guys make it seems like you have invented the wheel. music production has been around close to 100 years. in most cases the technique (the actual playing) to make music is the same but the tools are different...

i hope i got everyone...

if not state you point again and i will be more than happy to respond...

Last edited:
so is band-in-a-box, logic, cubase, reaper, live, sonar, studio one, renoise, pro tracks, tracktion, pro tools, digital performer, fl studio, guitar tracks, acid pro...

you name it they all are amazing to someone...

From someone who remembers this as reality:

Tascam_Portastudio_414MII_1.JPG

They're all amazing to me!:)

From someone who remembers this as reality:

Tascam_Portastudio_414MII_1.JPG

They're all amazing to me!:)

i own a tascam porta studio 4 track...

i bet there are some here in this thread that does not know how to sync a mpc to a porta studio...

bascially, how to get the simpte code on the cassette...

i guess first one would have to know what will generate simpte code...

i own a tascam porta studio 4 track...

i bet there are some here in this thread that does not know how to sync a mpc to a porta studio...

bascially, how to get the simpte code on the cassette...

i guess first one would have to know what will generate simpte code...

My dude said "Simpte" LOL I had to mess with you on that LMAO

That's cool that you work in mono. :cheers:

I don't know of any programs that can do it, but it's not because of some monopoly conspiracy

there are individuals that said they brought other DAWs...

but i am going from a article that Bernard (head of Props) himself wrote about 5 years ago about hardware and mpc. in this article he mashed the mpc (saying that Reason runs rings around the mpc) and said that Reason is a hardware replace.

therefore i was not going by what other do but by what i read from the head of Propellerhead...

if that is BS i will not listen to him again...

What does that have to do with ...

Props only wants you to use thier products

????
You were talking about Propellerheads taking over the software DAW world, not Reason replacing hardware MPCs. Where do they say they run rings around Logic, Cubase, Live, Sonar, etc.?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back