propellerheads are soon gonna announce something new/ The Reason 5 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was sitting around thinking...and reason/records stability is what everyone says is one of the best parts about it and thats why they dont implement vst plugins....would it affect stability much if they made record able to be a rewire host? i dont have a clue if that would cause many problems so i thought id ask the group

i was sitting around thinking...and reason/records stability is what everyone says is one of the best parts about it and thats why they dont implement vst plugins....would it affect stability much if they made record able to be a rewire host? i dont have a clue if that would cause many problems so i thought id ask the group

Propellerheads' idea is that you'll use only their products. If you have Reason, you'll have racks of synths and effects. Then, you pair it with Record, now you'll have a mixing console with audio recording, and editing fucntion. So to them it's already complete. All you need to do is just know how to use them. And about making Record being able to be a rewire host, it would just destroy their ideas of a COMPLETE STUDIO on a computer. Also, if Record is a rewire host, it would also cause a lot of work and stability issues. Coz with that, even if Record is stable, the VSTs that has a lot of bugs that communicates with Record via rewire will also affect Record.

Record don't need Vsts or Vsti's for real. Lets say I believe it's not a Daw, but I am definitely using it LIKE A DAW! I put the EventideH3000 Patch refill on my songwriter/singer lyrics and it sounds FREAKIN AMAZIN! If I have the Eventide H3000, 480L, M5000, and PCM90, for Record/Reason what other effects do I need? Plus the RV7000 is hot.

I love the stability of Record/Reason and I don't want anything to interfer with it and if it do is the day I stop updating.

mrgibbs, you only respond to whatever posts suit you...

if you read closely you will see that the type of sample i am talking about is a "DISK STREAMING SAMPLER" like (trilian, omnisphere, kontakt, play (ewql))...

i will make a deal with you...

you post a combinator that will produce the same sounds are VIR2 Electri6ty and will tell my name on props forums..

ok?

i think that is fair, since you turn every knobs on every device in Reason. this should not be a problem for you...

ok?

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

accepted...

i know what i like that why i sound like an authority...

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

mr gibbs, creating a combinator to sound like vir2 electri6ity will take tons of cv routing...

but i know you will come thru...

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

mr gibbs, with vir2 electri6ity i just call up the patch...

how long do you think it will take for you to build this combinator...

the kontakt sampler is innovative too...

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

you see mrgibb, while you thinking about how to build this combinator to sound like vir2 electri6ity you could actually be making music which is the objective instead of f*cking around with cv routing...

there is a very thin line between complexity and simplicity...

but i prefer simplicity...

just load the vsti and create music instead connecting 1001 cables...

p.s. on the real if you do happen to create this combinator you will more than likely makes some money with it. not enough to justify the time you spend build it but some money is better than no money...

let get this regardless if it take tons of cv routing if i can make the sound in reason what's the problem. there are days i sit around and make sounds. just sounds thats in my head. im not a preset user that just me i like having my own unique sound and sometime i very simple im not always complex but like challenging myself and put my mind to be creative instead of just going through presets. we are different if you like vsts more power to you i'm not knocking you ofor using vst. my biggest issue is people try to downplay a reason because is doesnt incorporate vsts. a vst is not going to make your music that much. you have to make your music good not the program or the sounds. now i own a lot of vsts as well i just don't make beats in reason and record but i prefer making music in reason and record over logic,cubase or protools. i learned how to make sounds that i have in a lot of my vsts within reason which i think is really good for me because it has taught me alot when i need to create sounds. i can make beats on hardware the same way i came up making music on hardware first. i have a 100gb of refills, think about how many sound that in those refills, i can alot with what i have.

another way to look at it is this. how much would a semi-modular synth like thor retail for? how about scream and the rv7000? how about kong? the waves ssl collection retails for just over 1000. compare that to record. plus that's not even taking into account how light record is on resources in comparison to the waves plugins.

if propellereheads stopped releasing reason+record tomorrow and just started releasing plugins i would gladly purchase malstrom, thor, scream, rv7000 and kong. but i wonder how much i would be paying for all of them if they were plugins.

although directwave comes included with flstudio it still retails for 99 if you want to purchase it separately. i personally prefer the nnxt to directwave even more-so now that they've added direct sample and a sample editor to it.

so although reason+record doesn't support plugins it is an fully inclusive production environment that is extremely light on cpu and extremely light on the pocket.

another way to look at it is this. how much would a semi-modular synth like thor retail for? how about scream and the rv7000? how about kong? the waves ssl collection retails for just over 1000. compare that to record. plus that's not even taking into account how light record is on resources in comparison to the waves plugins.

if propellereheads stopped releasing reason+record tomorrow and just started releasing plugins i would gladly purchase malstrom, thor, scream, rv7000 and kong. but i wonder how much i would be paying for all of them if they were plugins.

although directwave comes included with flstudio it still retails for 99 if you want to purchase it separately. i personally prefer the nnxt to directwave even more-so now that they've added direct sample and a sample editor to it.

so although reason+record doesn't support plugins it is an fully inclusive production environment that is extremely light on cpu and extremely light on the pocket.

Oh Oh let me answer that please lolhahah

1. RV7000 when it was by it's self ran for $399.99 as a Vst then Props snatched it up and that's when I looked at Reason real hard!

2. SSL 9000K, lets not talk about even the software, how about the real one in the real world, that can run you $100,000.00 Gees!

3. Thor if it was a hardware system it would cost from $1,400 to 2,000 easy!

4. Scream it would cost as hardware for $1,200 or maybe more.

5. Kong if it were hardware, $1,200

And if you were to purchase them as software individually lets just say it would be murder on cats pockets! But we keep saying the same thing over and over again :) WHY?

let get this regardless if it take tons of cv routing if i can make the sound in reason what's the problem. there are days i sit around and make sounds. just sounds thats in my head. im not a preset user that just me i like having my own unique sound and sometime i very simple im not always complex but like challenging myself and put my mind to be creative instead of just going through presets. we are different if you like vsts more power to you i'm not knocking you ofor using vst.

i rather play (make music, practice, jam, figure out fingerings) than make sounds. i do not have sounds in my head. i have grooves, progressions and melodies in my head. there is nothing wrong, again there is nothing wrong with making sounds. thank God for people like Eric Persing but for me i like dealing with the actual music itself...

so we are different in this respect.

100% different. i still think you are a cool guy but just have different opinion.

my biggest issue is people try to downplay a reason because is doesnt incorporate vsts. a vst is not going to make your music that much. you have to make your music good not the program or the sounds.

you are 100% correct. the vst is not going to make the music for you. designing sounds is not either. i am not sure what is your point...

now i own a lot of vsts as well i just don't make beats in reason and record but i prefer making music in reason and record over logic,cubase or protools.

i prefer using live or cubase because i could use my vsti...

i need you understand this and this has point my point all long...

forget about vsti for a minute. i just wanted a sampler in Reason that "stream from disk", period. that is all i wanted to see in the updates. i was so sure that they were going to add it i join my first beta testing of any kind. i wanted Record/Reason combo to be that all in one music production system. when i did not see this sampler it was/is a let down.

i learned how to make sounds that i have in a lot of my vsts within reason which i think is really good for me because it has taught me alot when i need to create sounds.

that is the difference between you and me and not saying one is better than the other but i enjoy the actual playing aspect of music. i want to call up a sound and jam, period.

i can make beats on hardware the same way i came up making music on hardware first. i have a 100gb of refills, think about how many sound that in those refills, i can alot with what i have.

i am not questioning your beat making abilities or anyone else but out of those 100GB of refills you do not have any vir2 electri6ity sounds...

with vsti if i do not have a certain sound then i could buy it.

now, let bring this to a close...

let say Reason add this sampler (disk streaming/articulations/keyswitching/scripting) and charged $329 for the upgrade (this sampler would be like have kontakt in Reason), would you buy it? or how many people would buy it?

then the refills/sample libraries would cost $100 a pop. who is willing to spend that type of money? not your avg Reason user.

in my opinion that why this sampler has not been added...

what makes Props great is they are customer friendly, with the product, stability, and cost...

---------- Post added at 03:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 AM ----------

I have Cubase and I don't like the midi editing in it one bit compared to Reason. Never have. I love how Props does software its simple and straight to the point. I find Cubase to be overly complicated. Its easy to use but so much going on that it can be confusing as hell at first. I like that anyone can open Reason and start making music in a matter of minutes

what is funny about this statement is that if a cubase user used Reason they would say that Reason copied allot of things from cubase (midi editing included)...

you have both cubase and reason right...

in the drum edit you do not prefer the diamonds instead of what Reason uses?

how about the right click to get the edit pencil?

make a busy drum groove using a bass drum, snare and hi hat in both cubase and reason...

change the velocity of the just the hi hat in both Reason and Cubase and report back...

ok, someone is going to say who put bass drum, snare and hi hats in one clip...

ok, use hi, lo, med congos to a make a busy part...

change the velocity of the just the lo congo and report back...

also, keep in mind the steinberg/cubase use to work hand in hand with Props. question, do you think Props learnt anything about sequencers from steinberg/cubase?

but then again it is all preference...

last point, i do not know how long you have use cubase or what version you are on and what version you started but in my opinion it takes time to really understand how these software package work...

i have had omnisphere since it came out (about two) and only know about 30% of it and use almost everyday...

---------- Post added at 03:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 AM ----------

are you saying that Props is giving away thoudsands of dollars of software for $449 (Record/Reason)...

i know you will enjoy this...

if that is the case recycle should be freeware...

last question....

semi-modular synth like thor would cost how much if native instruments Reaktor costs $350(by itself)...

funk i'm not naming prices. absynth, fm8 and masive are 180euro each. FAW circle, one if my favourite synths is 150euro. albino 3 is also 150euro. i'm not saying thousands of dollars. i'm merely stating that the reason+record package is extremely good value for money.

the way i feel about recycle is that it is ridiculously overpriced.
reason costs 300euro.
record costs 280 (standalone record is still a god damn ripoff).
recycle costs 230euro. although it's great for slicing it still lacks a lot of basic editing functions. if they lowered the price i would gladly purchase it. but i'm not going to drop 230euro on something i rarely use.

i can understand props closed system philosophy. but they created the rex format and then created recycle. no other program is allowed to create rex files because propellerheads won't allow it. look at the more feature laden (and cheaper phatmatik pro). props just has a monopoly on the rex creation market. and when a company has a monopoly on something they can charge whatever they want.

unlike some people i don't worship software companies. propellerheads are a great company no doubt and they make great, affordable and reliable products but they aren't perfect.

funk i'm not naming prices. absynth, fm8 and masive are 180euro each. FAW circle, one if my favourite synths is 150euro. albino 3 is also 150euro. i'm not saying thousands of dollars. i'm merely stating that the reason+record package is extremely good value for money.

relax terror...

i actually enjoy reading some of your posts. they are insightful...

Reason/Record is a great value...

that is why Props are so innovative...

you get allot of bang for your buck...

the way i feel about recycle is that it is ridiculously overpriced.
reason costs 300euro.
record costs 280 (standalone record is still a god damn ripoff).
recycle costs 230euro. although it's great for slicing it still lacks a lot of basic editing functions. if they lowered the price i would gladly purchase it. but i'm not going to drop 230euro on something i rarely use.

i can understand props closed system philosophy. but they created the rex format and then created recycle. no other program is allowed to create rex files because propellerheads won't allow it. look at the more feature laden (and cheaper phatmatik pro). props just has a monopoly on the rex creation market. and when a company has a monopoly on something they can charge whatever they want.

i know how you feel about recycle...

unlike some people i don't worship software companies. propellerheads are a great company no doubt and they make great, affordable and reliable products but they aren't perfect.

i do not worship software companies but i do try to support them and their development...

like i have a copy of Reaper that i never use but i paid the $60 to support the individual that is making the software...

Props is a great company but so is so many other companies too...

---------- Post added at 03:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 AM ----------

You people are insane if you think that Record mixer equates to owning a hardware SSL mixer...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

not laughing at you(World Wide) but i had to laugh...

it is Delusional!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Last edited:
forget about vsti for a minute. i just wanted a sampler in Reason that "stream from disk", period. that is all i wanted to see in the updates. i was so sure that they were going to add it i join my first beta testing of any kind. i wanted Record/Reason combo to be that all in one music production system. when i did not see this sampler it was/is a let down.
i hear you on that wnated that the sampler that "YOU" were hoping for but i think the problem lies is that you got your hopes up for something that wasn't gauranteed. but i didn't get my hopes for any new devices besides midi out. that's all i really wanted myself with reason 5. and the only reason i wanted it was for my mpd and track out beats from my phatom. i dont like have to track out beats from the phantom in pro tools create stems and dumping that back into record. i mean don't get me wrong i can get the job done in pro tools logic or cubase but i just wanted that feature in record. and it wasnt incorporated but it was cool for me i' happy with everything. now i like to jam and get down to music as well and i' have my custom library that i like to use as well. but there are times where i'll have a sound in my head that's not a preset and i'll sit and create the sound before i start making a beat. there are alot of people like myself and there are alot of people thats fine but i dont think you should bash reason because it didn't come with what you wanted. you already use another daw so why complain unless you want reason to do everything your daw is capable of doing

i've also paid for my copy of reaper that i barely use anymore.

i actually agree with in regards to props adding very powerful devices (eg. like a sampler you mentioned). and it was something i brought up in another topic in regards to the closed system being the downfall of propellerheads in years to come eventually relegating them to the bottom end of the music sequencer market.

if propellerheads were to introduce some really high end devices into reason they would obviously have to start charging more. this would see the price of reason sky rocket. this is not something propellerheads seem to want to do. judging by the recent price cut and the fact the reason 5 will not require a dongle.

although i love propellerheads i see this being a problem in the future. for example props may not be able to justify introducing a device like trillian or omnisphere into reason/record. that's perfectly ok. these are huge plugs and could be overkill for the average reason user.

but there are some people who do want these devices. that is the beauty of plugins. you pick your host and then you can choose which plugins you want to use. for example i have trillian but have not yet purchased omni because at this moment in time i have no need for a device like that. but if i ever change my mind it's always there for me to purchase and use in my host of choice.

propellerheads always have to try and hit the "middle ground" with their devices. they can't make them too large or too specific because they risk alienating a large proportion of their userbase.

i wouldn't expect to see a device with a huge sample library in reason for a while. not until computers get a bit faster and can run the program smoothly. that is after all part of the propellerhead ethos.

right now my two different software setups are reason+record and renoise and lots of plugins. although atm i probably use reason+record more, if i had to choose to use one setup exclusively i would go for renoise. and the reason for that is i can use plugins and tailor my setup to better fit my individual needs.

but i love reason+record. i love working in the closed environment. but i always know i can open up a host that can support plugins, and that is reassuring because there are some amazing plugins out there.

i hear you on that wnated that the sampler that "YOU" were hoping for but i think the problem lies is that you got your hopes up for something that wasn't gauranteed. but i didn't get my hopes for any new devices besides midi out. that's all i really wanted myself with reason 5. and the only reason i wanted it was for my mpd and track out beats from my phatom. i dont like have to track out beats from the phantom in pro tools create stems and dumping that back into record. i mean don't get me wrong i can get the job done in pro tools logic or cubase but i just wanted that feature in record. and it wasnt incorporated but it was cool for me i' happy with everything. now i like to jam and get down to music as well and i' have my custom library that i like to use as well. but there are times where i'll have a sound in my head that's not a preset and i'll sit and create the sound before i start making a beat. there are alot of people like myself and there are alot of people thats fine but i dont think you should bash reason because it didn't come with what you wanted. you already use another daw so why complain unless you want reason to do everything your daw is capable of doing

first off i would like to say i am not questioning anyone abilities...

yes, i did not get the sampler i wanted but i know it is coming. i thought that when i saw Props advertising an Native Instrument product (one of thier soundcards) that for sure this samplers was in this update.

I WAS WRONG!!!!

OK?

just joking with the ok...

i do not think i have bashed Reason. i wanted this sampler and there are others who wanted 64-bit support or 64-bit rewire who are upset too...

there are some who do not like the updates at all. for people who do not sing or sample there isnt a real update to Reason/Record. that is not bashing it. it is just those features do not suit me.

You mrgibb, X, Focused, terror are all cool with me but if i have something to say i am going to say it and if someone counter with better information the conversation gets that much better...

like with midiout i would be able to use my vsti but Props will never add midiout. i am of the opinion that Props hates hardware modules, akai and mpcs...

i loved the closed enviroment i also love logic as well. but i understand if i want or need to use plugins i just open up logic and rewire its take about 2 minutes to do not even maybe 30 seconds after logic and record is open. but people complain about reason like rewire is not available.

i've also paid for my copy of reaper that i barely use anymore.

i actually agree with in regards to props adding very powerful devices (eg. like a sampler you mentioned). and it was something i brought up in another topic in regards to the closed system being the downfall of propellerheads in years to come eventually relegating them to the bottom end of the music sequencer market.

if propellerheads were to introduce some really high end devices into reason they would obviously have to start charging more. this would see the price of reason sky rocket. this is not something propellerheads seem to want to do. judging by the recent price cut and the fact the reason 5 will not require a dongle.

although i love propellerheads i see this being a problem in the future. for example props may not be able to justify introducing a device like trillian or omnisphere into reason/record. that's perfectly ok. these are huge plugs and could be overkill for the average reason user.

but there are some people who do want these devices. that is the beauty of plugins. you pick your host and then you can choose which plugins you want to use. for example i have trillian but have not yet purchased omni because at this moment in time i have no need for a device like that. but if i ever change my mind it's always there for me to purchase and use in my host of choice.

propellerheads always have to try and hit the "middle ground" with their devices. they can't make them too large or too specific because they risk alienating a large proportion of their userbase.

i wouldn't expect to see a device with a huge sample library in reason for a while. not until computers get a bit faster and can run the program smoothly. that is after all part of the propellerhead ethos.

right now my two different software setups are reason+record and renoise and lots of plugins. although atm i probably use reason+record more, if i had to choose to use one setup exclusively i would go for renoise. and the reason for that is i can use plugins and tailor my setup to better fit my individual needs.

but i love reason+record. i love working in the closed environment. but i always know i can open up a host that can support plugins, and that is reassuring because there are some amazing plugins out there.

i feel what you are saying terror...

if i question something in the future i am not coming at you...

just respond because your posts are insightful...

i may not always agree but i am not coming at you...

Last edited:
i have a feeling that midi out will be incorporated next the reason why i feel that way is because props are already working on record version 2 in 1 year midi out will be implemented.

i think Props are positioning themselve to take over (completely) the DAW world one feature at a time. that being said we will never (imo) get midiout. Props only wants you to use thier products and brick by brick they are making it happen.

Reason/Record will never be about individuals that yearn to incorporate hardware. they are about individuals that have started producing recently (new breed). they do not care if you use cubase, pro tools, etc for years they are looking at the new breed producers. they know cubase, pro tools, etc user are dying out and the only thing left will be these new breed producers that will be using Record/Reason...

Last edited:
i think Props are positioning themselve to take over (completely) the DAW world one feature at a time. that being said we will never (imo) get midiout. Props only wants you to use thier products and brick by brick they are making it happen.

Reason/Record will never be about individuals that yearn to incorporate hardware. they are about individuals that have started producing recently (new breed). they do not care if you use cubase, pro tools, etc for years they are looking at the new breed producers. they know cubase, pro tools, etc user are dying out and the only thing left will be these new breed producers that will be using Record/Reason...

i disagree in a respectful manner i feel that if props want you to use only there device they woudln't have incorporated live sample which pretty much lets people sample from wherever they feel. think about it. lol midi out will be implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back