propellerheads are soon gonna announce something new/ The Reason 5 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
totally agree with you. i have trillian and kontakt (not omnisphere yet...) and trillian especially is an amazing program.

reason+record aren't perfect. the fact that they still haven't added something as simple as a spectrum analyser is obviously a bit annoying.

funk come on i know you're just baiting people for an argument here. calling the reason/record combo a "scratch pad tool" and all that. if for you it is nothing more than a scratch pad then that's cool. but some people do use reason+record for serious production.

why if my opinion has not coincide with others am i baiting people to argue? i use the Reason/Record combo as a scratch pad tool. my peeps do the same. if you use Record/Reason as your serious production tool that is fine with me. who am i to tell you what to use. i am just stating my opinion just like you have stated yours...

if sampling, kong, blocks, octorex and neptune aren't for you then that's cool. but remember that you don't represent everybody and you also don't have the authority to speak for everybody.

i can only speak for myself. if you think i sound like an authority then there must be some validity to what i am saying...

speaking for myself i really like this update. the ability to sample into the samplers is a big deal for me. as well as the new sample editor. the inclusion of kong is huge for me. i've wanted a drum synth is reason for ages. now they've added one with "analog" synthesis, physical modelling and sampling capabilities. it also comes stacked with a bunch of very nice and useful fx.

you see, i was speaking for myself too. why would you have a problem with that. it like going to mcdonalds and you brought a number 1 and i brought a number 3. we both got what we wanted, right?

you sample and i do not sample therefore being able to sample directly into Reason is not a big deal for me. you think Kong is the sh1t but i prefer stylus rmx. i never try to convince you that stylus rmx is the sh1t. it just fits my workflow...

this upgrade to reason and record has convinced me to drop reaper altogether. i will now be working in reason+record and renoise (with plugins...) exclusively from now on.

i am happy that you have the tools to get the job done. my tools are Record/Reason as a scratch pad tool and ableton live and vsts (stylus rmx, omnisphere, trilian, kontakt and play (ewql) for full production. why would you have a problem with that?

if you don't like the upgrade that's ok but stop trying to bait people who actually like the product with sly remarks.

instead of reading between the lines try reading what i actually wrote...

I HAVE OWN EVERY SINGLE PROP PRODUCT (rebirth, recycle (which i paid for), reason, record) FROM THER FIRST VERSION TO THE CURRENT VERSION AND PLAN ON GETTING THE NEW UPDATE...

again, i invest in music software company that are innovative...

funk you just said you would have preferred a new sampler or synth and guess what you got a new sampler that is a synth lol. it seems like your backtracking your statement oh yeah whats your name on props forums.

funk you just said you would have preferred a new sampler or synth and guess what you got a new sampler that is a synth lol. it seems like your backtracking your statement oh yeah whats your name on props forums.

mrgibbs, you only respond to whatever posts suit you...

if you read closely you will see that the type of sample i am talking about is a "DISK STREAMING SAMPLER" like (trilian, omnisphere, kontakt, play (ewql))...

i will make a deal with you...

you post a combinator that will produce the same sounds are VIR2 Electri6ty and will tell my name on props forums..

ok?

i think that is fair, since you turn every knobs on every device in Reason. this should not be a problem for you...

ok?

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

misunderstanding i suppose. i apologise.

accepted...

i know what i like that why i sound like an authority...

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

mr gibbs, creating a combinator to sound like vir2 electri6ity will take tons of cv routing...

but i know you will come thru...

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

mr gibbs, with vir2 electri6ity i just call up the patch...

how long do you think it will take for you to build this combinator...

the kontakt sampler is innovative too...

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

you see mrgibb, while you thinking about how to build this combinator to sound like vir2 electri6ity you could actually be making music which is the objective instead of f*cking around with cv routing...

there is a very thin line between complexity and simplicity...

but i prefer simplicity...

just load the vsti and create music instead connecting 1001 cables...

p.s. on the real if you do happen to create this combinator you will more than likely makes some money with it. not enough to justify the time you spend build it but some money is better than no money...

Last edited:
vir2 electri6ity costs about the same amount as reason does lol

you get what you pay for....

that is why you cant reproduce vir2 electri6ity in Reason...

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Yawn at your vsti I think my logic bank will shit on it

you are right your logic bank will sh1t on trilian, omnisphere, kontakt and play...

you feel better now?

Last edited:
I have new question to all beta users who use mpd - in this new version you can control nn-xt with mpd - for example with knobs change sample start/end points? If so then chop a sample inside Reason will be fun, but they probably didn't update this new verison like that, right?
no you cannot. but with kong you really wont need the NNXT much more. Kong does the job a lot better and faster imo.

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

there are some who bash Jesus...

the reason reason/record is discussed more than any other software on the market right now is because of the upgrade...

same will be said about ableton live, fl studio, cubase, etc when these company come out with a update/upgrade...

i do not think individuals are bashing either, just disappointed. i have been a Props customer since they were distritued by steinberg (product rebirth 1, 1.5, 2.0). blocks, sampling, kong, voice correction, etc does not interest me. i would prefer a new sampler or synth and better midi editing. i know some individuals think that the sequencer in Record/Reason are great but it cant touch cubase as far as midi editing goes. i plan on purchasing the update just like i have purchased all the Props products from day one because i want to support the company itself. i will give Props credit for some very innovative products and by supporting them i am investing into more innovation from the company...

the bottom line is for me Record/Reason combo is a scratch pad tool. a great one at that but sampling, kong, voice correction, etc is not for me and i would not call this bashing. just realizing what i like and dislike...
I have Cubase and I don't like the midi editing in it one bit compared to Reason. Never have. I love how Props does software its simple and straight to the point. I find Cubase to be overly complicated. Its easy to use but so much going on that it can be confusing as hell at first. I like that anyone can open Reason and start making music in a matter of minutes

I love Reason as much as the next serious user, but I can't understand this Reason vs. vst mentality. Do you really think that the developers at Propellerhead are sitting in a board room somewhere saying, "f$ck vst's! Our sh#t is hotter than vst's. Our sh$t is more Jon Blaze than vst's"????? I don't think so. All they do is develop Reason/Record for it's users. They shy away from integrating with vst's for stability purposes.

With that being said, they have to be open to other companies as host because of Rewire. Rewire was a joint project with Propellerhead and Steinberg. It seems that they also have a good relationship with Ableton. There was a timing issue between Live and Reason in Rewire mode back during Live 7. The Props had an update and so did Live and the problem was gone.

If they seem to get along, and make money selling their products, then why should we argue????

I look at it like this, all of these companies are making products for musicians to use. Because of that we have more possibilities at our disposal then ever before. If someone makes a good product, and it's something that I want and can really use, I'm gonna get it. It doesn't matter if it's an update, Refill, vst, or proprietary add on device. If I want and can afford it, I'll grab it.

Reason is a great tool.
Vst's are a great tools.

If you wanted to, you could criticize either, but what does that really accomplish????

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

Last edited:
I love Reason as much as the next serious user, but I can't understand this Reason vs. vst mentality.

People get really attached to the technology they own and often get very defensive or rationalize any shortcomings it has (or that others claim they have). I think that about sums it up.

Last edited:
no you cannot. but with kong you really wont need the NNXT much more. Kong does the job a lot better and faster imo.

Hmm, but if I understand right using Kong you can assign sound (chop) only to those 16 pads (with it you can use only first bank A, you cannot use those B,C,D banks on your mpd).
So if i can use only 16 chops - that is more than weak...
Someone could make youtube video - something like user review.

I love Reason as much as the next serious user, but I can't understand this Reason vs. vst mentality. Do you really think that the developers at Propellerhead are sitting in a board room somewhere saying, "f$ck vst's! Our sh#t is hotter than vst's. Our sh$t is more Jon Blaze than vst's"????? I don't think so. All they do is develop Reason/Record for it's users. They shy away from integrating with vst's for stability purposes.

With that being said, they have to be open to other companies as host because of Rewire. Rewire was a joint project with Propellerhead and Steinberg. It seems that they also have a good relationship with Ableton. There was a timing issue between Live and Reason in Rewire mode back during Live 7. The Props had an update and so did Live and the problem was gone.

If they seem to get along, and make money selling their products, then why should we argue????

I look at it like this, all of these companies are making products for musicians to use. Because of that we have more possibilities at our disposal then ever before. If someone makes a good product, and it's something that I want and can really use, I'm gonna get it. It doesn't matter if it's an update, Refill, vst, or proprietary add on device. If I want and can afford it, I'll grab it.

Reason is a great tool.
Vst's are a great tools.

If you wanted to, you could criticize either, but what does that really accomplish????

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

i see what ur geting at but its also the view on what reason is. many people see reason or want to see it as a daw. they wont see it any other way then theres the cats like me who see it as an instrument wtih a sequencer. I dont see it any different than say sample tank it just has a sequencer attached. I love its closed enviroment and I love what i get out of the program. To me rewire is always an option too. I would like to see Reason become a rewire host to vsts if the option was ever added and that way you can just rewire vsts into reason i think everyone would be happy then.

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Hmm, but if I understand right using Kong you can assign sound (chop) only to those 16 pads (with it you can use only first bank A, you cannot use those B,C,D banks on your mpd).
So if i can use only 16 chops - that is more than weak...
Someone could make youtube video - something like user review.
how many chops do u make. maybe im only seeing it from my own pov but i have never filled more than 1 bank of chops on my mpd anyway. I usually only have about 5 to 10 chops

extra banks on the kong would be useful.....sooometimes i go over 16 sometimes i dont...just kinda depends on the sample......have they made the knobs in the nn-xt midi controllable? like the sample start and end knobs...last i remember they werent, and that would be real useful if they were

Im happy with this update, Im not sure how many new synths I would want to add to reason, we already got Thor, Subtractor, Malstrom + Combinator....use your imagination :-). The one thing I would like to see in Reason would be a physical Modeled Electric Piano set ala EVP88/Lounge Lizard. I think something like that would fit well with the rest of the instruments.

rr4dmq.jpg

What up Focused? man I am really happy with the update. All five products are going to put me in a place where I really wanna be, and I am loving it. For me, it's going to up the ante and I can do real complex drum programming like never before, and I found a way I can use my MPC because I can use all four banks instead of just one :):):):) For simple drum programming I will use the MPK for complex drum programming I will use the MPC. :):):) So it's real important to me and the updates when I looked closely at them is beautiful TO ME!

For me I take what you say deeply because I seen your vids and I know how you get down for real so I don't take what you say as a grain of salt, you get my respect on a huge level, plus it's easy to talk to you.

1. Dr Octo Rex, that's a killer piece of software, because for me as I have figured out, I can use it for anything but when I wanna throw in hot percussion loops I can use multi loops in one palette instead of opening up 8. it will have me work fast and nice work flow. I can just open up one and have like four different percussion going and it saves rack space so I don't have to scroll down, so that is a wonderful for me, I am loving it and I don't even have it, it's just the idea.

2. Blocks, again will help with work flow, and I like it.

3. Neptune, I am freaking speechless! All I can say is I CAN'T WAIT TO HAVE THAT IN MY POSSESSION! I wanna use it then talk about it.

4. Sampler that's pretty slick that you can sample in, that's real cool, though I don't use that, that much maybe I can now and come up with some innovative things :):):)

5. Kong, FORGET ABOUT IT! You can put compression, reverb, etc on your drums right there? I can't even do that with my MPC unless I track it out then put stuff on it. Here you can do it on the fly! I am so happy.

For now I am happy, but if they put midi out in 2.0 it's a wrap. This will make people pull out that hardware that's been sitting there. Imagine a Virus with Record, or a Motif XS or Triton or any of people's favorite hardware linked up and you can scroll through the sounds on the fly. I mean I am connected and can use all four pieces of my Hardware without midi. Some people are use to midi and they don't understand you can use your hardware now if you want. If they give us midi there shouldn't be any talk about vsti's, because the hardware would be their vsti's. You can't have your cake and eat it too. I would love to hook just my Motif midi out to Record!

For me I won't bug out on what they gave us, I am going to take what they gave us and use it to the best of my ability and think positive and make music and have fun. After my Hollywood strings, I am not buying anything else and let Props fill my needs and I will be patient with them, if there's something I don't like I will have no comment!

25g8l0h.jpg

THIS JUST LOOKS SO HOT! The skin is hot that's what I am talking about and the function is even better!

I AM LOVING THAT KONG JOINT!

New vid coming soon, of how I did the lyrics and track in Record and how it sounded once I mixed it. I have to do copyright on this first. It sounds great, you can do a mix, and all that without even opening PT! I am going to use it for more than what people say it can be used for. :)

Last edited:
how many chops do u make. maybe im only seeing it from my own pov but i have never filled more than 1 bank of chops on my mpd anyway. I usually only have about 5 to 10 chops

I always have at least 2 banks ( 32 chops) that for me is minimum. A lot of time i have even more - really depends of the sample and how much parts of the sample i can/want use. I always like to make more chops, because i like variation. But anyway I also want to get my hands on Reason 5.

I have Cubase and I don't like the midi editing in it one bit compared to Reason. Never have. I love how Props does software its simple and straight to the point. I find Cubase to be overly complicated. Its easy to use but so much going on that it can be confusing as hell at first. I like that anyone can open Reason and start making music in a matter of minutes

And this is the very same Reason why I sequence Reason's MIDI into Reason's sequencer itself if I rewire it to Cubase 5 or Ableton 8. :) Especially editing velocities and automations.

On the talk of Omnisphere, that is a WONDERFUL program. It may not be popular amongst the HipHop producer especially if he/she can't play keys and looking to sample. I can understand that. The way Eric P designed it, and RMX is bananas! I think those that don't see it as a powerful program is because they haven't dived into it to see what it can really do, and the sounds in it are bananas! I don't just do hiphop, I can do sound scaped, ambient music, Euro/Dance/Urban music with it, RnB, HipHop, Dance Hall, and Pop. RMX I don't even wanna talk about it, it's just A FREAKIN BEAST! The sound of it is already done for you, it sounds mastered, easy to mix, and the effects of both, ARE AMAZING! Eric P did a good job. Why am I saying this? Because that program don't get it's props, plus I will use them in Record :) I will do a work around but it's worth it and it's not going to COST ME A DIME! I figured it out! No Rewire either!

EastWest Products is done with high quality, I am about to load my play and load my composers bundle along with Hollywood strings and make some music and do a couple of videos and incorporate those in Record also. Realism? EastWest and Spectra got it, and I am going to use them and Record to the best of my talent ability and not bug out against either, everything I have I will use it and make music.

END RESULT GOOD MADE MUSIC!

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

I always have at least 2 banks ( 32 chops) that for me is minimum. A lot of time i have even more - really depends of the sample and how much parts of the sample i can/want use. I always like to make more chops, because i like variation. But anyway I also want to get my hands on Reason 5.

Peace M21M, which piece will do you justice as far as chopping is concerned with you, Kong or the new NNXT?

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Xabiton

:bigeyes:Yo I thought I was the only one, my boy tried to introduce me to Cubase and the midi, I didn't like it. But when I am dealing with the midi in Reason/Record it feels like I am working with audio which I am use to. That's another reason why I got Stuck on Reason at that period. It didn't make me feel like I was dealing with midi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back