nonexclusive beats?

What I don't really understand is how could you choose to be on a non exclusive market or not?
I think you can only limit yourself to sell Exclusives ONLY if you already have your name out there, nobody would be willing to pay 200$ or more for an unknow producer!
That's why you start out with selling non-exclusive beats, until you earned a little fame then you can tell the people that you only wanna sell exclusives

And If you buy a sample CD with 1000 beats you might have a large variety of beats on there but still they might not be that hot as the one you heard on someones Page if you know what I mean?

but in fact I totally agree with you! plus people who buy Exclusive beats are actually serious about their business!

I sell exclusive beats and non exclusive beats but its for artists who cant afford exclusive beats the way i see it if i dont sell them something then they are just going to steal it and use it anyway. Most artists i sell non exclusive to use the beats for mixtapes. But i do understand what you are saying. Alot of producers have messed up the prouction game and made it harder for me to sell beats at the price im used to because producers sell beats for $5.00 now. I will never do that.

You can buy sneakers for 10 bucks or you can buy Nikes.
Do you think Payless shoes is really hurting Nike sales?

So producers selling nickel beats shouldn't really have a negative impact on the outlook of your sales.
You're always going to have competition. And with increasing technology it makes it even easier for more competition to pour in.
99 cent beats aren't going to stay in business long.

Once you start discounting your work you are going to adversely effect the quality of it. You are going to be forced to pump out more and more faster and faster. So the amount of effort you put behind it is going to lessen. It's a simple economic curve.
You put yourself in a dollar range. So when people start buying low, they are going to want that price to continue. They'll slowly leave once you put the price up.

Determine what you're worth and stick to it. Don't short change yourself because others are tripping over dollars to pick up pennies.

Nothings wrong with making money using leases. Personally I think that music producers who post beats on the internet should be using it for leasing and if someone takes the offer to buy it exclusively then go for it. I also think that beats that are intended to be exclusives shouldn't be posted on the internet but instead kept locked for serious artists interested in your beats.

My 2 cents

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with making 10 bucks here and 20 bucks there.
It's just not what I think I'm worth.

Plus, the idea of an artist deciding to pay for an exclusive instrumental that has been bought and used numerous times beforehand doesn't sound satisfying (to the artist). Put yourself in the artists shoes; are you going to want to put an investment behind something that when you get ready to release it, the same sound is backed on 4,5,6, 20 other people's tracks. One of the biggest things that sells music is originality. Who wants something exclusive that a bunch of others already have.

Putting up 5 or 6 different beats out there as a "portfolio" of what you can do, if they sound nice, have your own style, and perk the interest of someone, can be used as a means of getting a work for hire contract together for you to create something original for them.

Last edited:
yeah in my opinion there really is no real reason to purchase beats non-exlcusive.. if you are serious you will buy it exlusive... if you are not serious you should just rock an industry beat

Oh boy all my beats are listed as non-exclusive and can aslo be had as exclusive..

..so far i havnt gotten much downloads.. maybe i should list them as just exlusive .

and see how it goes.. im so confused..:cry:

Selling non-exclusive licenses is preferable in the instrumental music distribution market. If a producer spends the time to create a quality instrumental/beat why would they want to give full ownership away to just any artist? They don't because there is no guarantee that the artist will even use the beat purchased let alone create a marketable hit. If you create quality instrumentals your best option for licensing is non-exclusive, as a means to find the right artist to create a song on the beat. If you realize the potential value your beat has, you will understand the importance of allowing multiple artists commercial use of the composition. Think of it as a 'Lottery Ticket', in a the aspect of allowing multiple people the chance to 'Win'. As a producer coming up in the industry, we all want 'Winners' on our beats. Artist on the come up are also looking for music to build a catalog, and fan base. By allowing them to use your beats non-exclusively you leave room for multiple chances of finding yourself a winning artist that actually creates a quality hit and has the ability and/or know-how to market the music and be heard. I feel as though I would be selling myself short for a couple hundred dollars and no gaurantee, by selling full ownership exclusive rights to my instrumentals to just anyone. If you are smart, you wold think twice about the music you create. If you are serious about the business, you will think of your craft as a business and not just a hobby. Turn your passion into profit, and you quite possibly might just be able to eat for the rest of your life from one of your creations. Food for thought.

RapBeatBrokerz

Great post I was debating wether to go that route. Buts I appreciate posts like these. U made me check my self..

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Can't argue wit beat brokerd neither..

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Can't argue wit beat brokers either.. great point

Selling non-exclusive licenses is preferable in the instrumental music distribution market. If a producer spends the time to create a quality instrumental/beat why would they want to give full ownership away to just any artist? They don't because there is no guarantee that the artist will even use the beat purchased let alone create a marketable hit. If you create quality instrumentals your best option for licensing is non-exclusive, as a means to find the right artist to create a song on the beat. If you realize the potential value your beat has, you will understand the importance of allowing multiple artists commercial use of the composition. Think of it as a 'Lottery Ticket', in a the aspect of allowing multiple people the chance to 'Win'. As a producer coming up in the industry, we all want 'Winners' on our beats. Artist on the come up are also looking for music to build a catalog, and fan base. By allowing them to use your beats non-exclusively you leave room for multiple chances of finding yourself a winning artist that actually creates a quality hit and has the ability and/or know-how to market the music and be heard. I feel as though I would be selling myself short for a couple hundred dollars and no gaurantee, by selling full ownership exclusive rights to my instrumentals to just anyone. If you are smart, you wold think twice about the music you create. If you are serious about the business, you will think of your craft as a business and not just a hobby. Turn your passion into profit, and you quite possibly might just be able to eat for the rest of your life from one of your creations. Food for thought.

RapBeatBrokerz

If you read the OP in this thread, it basically comments on pretty much everything you say here... but I will add a couple of things...

Sure, selling your "beats" over and over again is "preferable" to you... but it is not the way to get into the big time with your music... it is surely not "preferable" to artists looking for "beats", and you will not attract serious artists that way.

You don't have to allow just anybody to use your "beats"... you are free to pick and choose who you give your music to. That is how it works in the record industry... you can decide who you allow to use your music. You can let it go to the person who you think "deserves" to have it.

You don't have to sell your "beats" on a soundclick page with a "click here to license this beat" button.

...and the people licensing "beats" for a couple hundred dollars are generally hobbyists... they may be seriously into what they do and they may really want to "make it", but they are really still at the "trying to get somewhere" level. That is pretty much the market for the "blind selling" tracks (i.e., tracks that you can just "click here to license").

Back