MPC 4000 vs. MV 8000 or whatever

Needle201 said:

well, you could get that associated by the way the thread went.

one more thing:

those people who dig into the MV shouldnt bash the MPC the other way around.

both are surely fine machines which may suit different styles of production with their different ways of handling sequencing and sampling.

the world is big enough for two hardware sequencer/sampler units.

yo i feel you i just like f**kin with the mpc users both are good it about how you wanna work

The Fantom-S is a workstation, like the Triton and the Motif. Why did you expect it to be an anything else? It doesn't have built-in mastering like the MV-8000

what about triton studio?

This is NOT an MPC. When are people going to learn? This is new machine, as complex as an MPC4000, but which works completely different from the MPC. You wouldn't expect someone who knows nothing about an MPC to understand the 4000 in a sentence or two. So why would you expect anything different from a production studio that costs a couple thousand dollars?

mpc summed up in one sentance: The mpc sequencer is the best sequencer ever.

this is why the mpc will be the center for electronica production always.

Roland doesn't release products for the instant hit factor like we saw recently with the Motif ES. They are in the business for the long term. When their products are released it takes typically 6 - 12 months before the crowd finds out about them.

what about the OG fantom? a workstation without a sampler! come on.

MV-8000 is nothing far more unique compared to the Roland Fantom S keyboard sampler...it might have it's own way of sequencing...but the Fantom S can do just about every thing the mv-8000 can do and much more...and people are making a big issue about the mastering...let me tell you something..true mastering is not in that roland machine...Real mastering is done in a big time studio..the benefit about the mastering function on the mv-8000 is that it mixes your final work down all bye itself...without using any effort....that is what the mastering helps to do...the mv-8000 is a powerful machine..but if you can't get one...or if you can't afford it..I would suggest the mpc 1000 that unit is becoming more popular as the days go bye...a lot more affordable...and has midi/usb support...one more thing to note..never buy anything to impress people...buy what's in your budget...and buy what you think you really need to create what you want to create..cause from what I hear...people are making crazy dope beats bye just using a Roland Sp 505 which is only $500 now...

NAstiB

NastiB said:
the mv-8000 is a powerful machine..but if you can't get one...or if you can't afford it..I would suggest the mpc 1000 that unit is becoming more popular as the days go bye...a lot more affordable...and has midi/usb support...one more thing to note..never buy anything to impress people...buy what's in your budget...and buy what you think you really need to create what you want to create..cause from what I hear...people are making crazy dope beats bye just using a Roland Sp 505 which is only $500 now...

NAstiB

very true statement.

btw. i still want to mention that the mpc1000 doesnt have timestretch. This may not be a big deal to some, especially now a days you can use your computer to do this Much! better. But I never minded using it on my mpc2xl!

So to me the mpc1000 looks stricktly more for drums, and an addition to a computer setup if you want to timestretch. Not a bad idea though (mpc and recycle! awesome combo)

peace.

peace.

maybe the new fantomx keyboard would suit some better as it does have pads to lay down drums and an easy to use sequencer..

amosaic4u said:
maybe the new fantomx keyboard would suit some better as it does have pads to lay down drums and an easy to use sequencer..

see thats the problem. Its not just the pads that make the mpc so good. Its the sequencer interface.

I have been using a MPC since 89 and have owned each one. As much as I hate to say it I think the mv8000 is the next level, I was playin around wit it at NAMM and it felt right. No longer having to stop the sequence to edit a sample. The chop feature and BPM matching,is reason enough to seriously think about making the switch.

I discovered the sample editing while the sequence is running feature a couple weeks after I bought the MV-8000. One day I was editing a sample and I thought I should just try pressing the Play transport button. When it worked I was pleasantly surprised. Another important feature I like is the configurable loop points during sequencing. Instead of specifying the length as on the MPC, the beginning and ending points are specified on the MV. This is a major convenience when you want to insert something at an exact place in the middle of a song.

These features are a consequence of the better OS design in the MV. The MPC4000 OS seems to be single tasking, because there are several areas where you are locked into a mode and can't do anything else. It looks very much like an earlier version of Mac OS, somewhere before version 9. Over a year ago I asked AKAI tech support about the OS. The support representative would only tell me the OS is proprietary and that it runs on an Intel processor.

Another thing I see as a major plus is the bpm match feature...using alot of drumloops and samples I hate the fact that after I create a sequence in the mpc and want to try different tempo's I have to adjust the samples manually and thats time consuming...On top of that having to worry about the sample going out of tune while doin it is a pain...I know there are ways around fixin the pitch in the mpc but once again time consuming when ur trying to create.

Yeah, and that all relates to the real-time timestretch. Thats why it can change those audio tracks in real time as you change the BPM. This, more than any other feature is giving me a good feeling about the MV-8000. I am seriously considering one.

As a sample based editor, having that real-time timestretch without having to go into my computer makes life easier to figure out and quicker to accomplish. I think this is one of the major bonuses over the MPC4000 and every other workstation out there. (with the notable exception of the new Fantom X) released at Namm which will have this function aparently.

Oh wow. The response to MPC... err.. MV Producer's feedback is better in this forum than in that "other" discussion board. There's a lot of open minded people here.

I had one of the newer blue MPC2000xl machines on order. I dont know what to go with now. After watching the videos, I'm leaning towards the mv8000. Decisions, decisions. This sucks. I already had the 32 meg Simm upgrade ready. Im gonna have to think this deeper now.

Last edited by a moderator:
seal said:
Oh wow. The response to MPC... err.. MV Producer's feedback is better in this forum than in that "other" discussion board. There's a lot of open minded people here.

I had one of the newer blue MPC2000xl machines on order. I dont know what to go with now. After watching the videos, I'm leaning towards the mv8000. Decisions, decisions. This sucks. I already had the 32 meg Simm upgrade ready. Im gonna have to think this deeper now.

I know how you feel, seal. I think that the older 2000xls are definitely solid-ass machines, but personally am looking for something that offers a little more features for the beginning user. As that's what I am.

I was originally considering the 4000 but have since decided against it. I just feel that, despite the fact that it is capable of doing what I want and more, it is slightly disturbing to hear these stories from other users of OS quirks and missing features. Plus, it costs more than the MV-8000.

Right now I'm trying to decide whether to look for a 1000/used 2000xl or commit to spending the extra dough for a MV-8000. It is pretty much just trying to determine whether price or features are more important and right now, I'm heavily leaning towards the 8000. I appreciate how people here are taking the time to describe some of the features and functionality of the machine, and that coupled with the videos I've seen and the test drive I took is convincing me more and more that the MV is the way for me to go - if I can just convince myself to cough up enough cash for it.

I've been using an ASR-10 but it's time to move on. I love the ASR-10 but it's beginning to fail. I never jumped on the drum machine type gear. I deal with mostly samples. I think I will definitely go with the MV8000 since the MPC2000xl I had ordered is backordered for another month!

Actually the MV8000 is cheaper than a fully expanded MPC2000xl. With the max ram, FX card, additional outputs, and storage device. Price isnt a motivating factor for me.

I love my ASRX pro..I have a cd rom drive for it...I loaded all its sounds to mpc.

I called the store and they told me I can give them my MPC4000 plus 900.00 and they will make the trade for the MV8000.

THATS CRAZY!!!

But whats really crazy is should I just buy a MV8000 and if so does it makes since to have both????

Or make the trade and take the lost????

Last edited:
Hands down i havent even seen or heard the MV

but as an owner of the 2000 and the 4000

Mpc Iz a killer crunch eat em up all in one drum box that retardedly boosts many already tight productions out there.

in other words, i use 48 K 24 bit sampling with EMU Proteus module and waiting to get a karma... and the quality and ease of use is BANGING!

i could easily sell tracks for more now. the game stepped up for me now. but the only thing is that damn
FATAL ERROR screen for the mpc.

We still need a good operating system patch to clear that up
but
overall the machine is a monster

Holla at me!

DeRrIcK MeGa SaSsIn said:
Hands down i havent even seen or heard the MV

but as an owner of the 2000 and the 4000

Mpc Iz a killer crunch eat em up all in one drum box that retardedly boosts many already tight productions out there.

To keep it real when I saw the MV8000 I called it a fake a$$ MPC, But when I saw it at namm I realized its a totally different unit but with a few mpc features.

Back