Is FL Studio the new industry standard??

1. If you're a professional, yes you do need it
2. I personally use cubase, but i also use pro tools and logic, which comes back to my ORIGINAL point, which is, learn as much as you can.
3. this aint about exporting anything, this about being versatile enough to walk into any studio and being efficient, do you leave the house? or do you only work at home?
4. if you did all that, why are you arguing with me?
5. Logic is pretty popular outside north america.

1. But can you explain how? Can you explain a situation where you NEED to use Pro Tools?
2. Oh for sure. I have nothing against learning Pro Tools, just saying that you don't need to own it to get by as a pro.
3. DAW's aren't very different from each other. I DO agree that everybody should take some time to just get to know Pro Tools - but I can say the same about Cubase, Logic, hell even FL Studio. I'm not asking you to know how to set up a TDM 128 i/o system, but just be able to do mixing in Pro Tools. It's not that hard if you know any other featured DAW like Cubase, Sonar, Samplitude.
4. I'm just saying that Pro Tools isn't as good as everybody makes it out to be.
5. Ok maybe you're right on that, but Cubase is also popular outside of north america. Sonar is popular in UK. FL Studio is popular everywhere, Lex Luger uses it.

Last edited:
that made no sense

+1.

I think what he was trying to say was that "Years ago Pro Tools dominated the music industry but now since there are more DAW's available with similar features, they've lost some market share value.".......

I could be wrong tho...

hell yea lol thats what i meant.... pro tools is never brought up in music conversations anymore lol..

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

and i meant to say go pick up an album that was pre 2002 lol

Although you can most people do not use Fl Studio for full scale multitrack recording. Lex is using Fl Studio for beat production not recording. Considering his label mate Southside(another brick squad producer) was working a session with Waka Flocka using protools in a video I know Lex knows how to use it especially at this point of his career. It's not rocket science or anything lol.

As an engineer if that is strictly your profession then yes you will need to know pro tools and logic no questions

As a record producer or beatmaker it's not a must to know both(although very beneficial) if you are traveling from studio to studio and have a laptop.

1.Hook your laptop up to the speakers and mixer at the studio you are working out of uses.
2.Make the beat
3.Record the song in your preferred daw
4.Mix the song out of your preferred daw.

If another engineer is going to be mixing the song and he uses protools. Do steps 1-3 then export the omf file. Give the engineer the omf file and he can open the session exactly how you had it in your daw in pro tools and then you can direct him on how you want ever thing to sound.

If you just made the beat but still want to help in the recording process. Do steps 1-2 then export the seperate wavs or omf file. Give the egineer the files. Direct the recording and mixing process.

If you know pro tools then you can just work of the studio computer obviously. The only way I see that your going to really be forced to learn pro tools in this day in age as a producer is if you work off a desktop at home and don't have a laptop. The studio doesn't have the daw you use and you want to do everything yourself at that studio. If you have used other daws though its not really a hard transition.

The more you know the better obviously but if for some reason you don't want to use pro tools and your going to be traveling to different studios get yourself a laptop and use whatever daw you like. Problem solved...

Last edited:
ummm, yes there is a standard, the standard is exactly what it is, the standard, whether they use an SSL is irrelevant, hardware is irrelevant

PRO TOOLS and LOGIC is the standard and if you're a "producer" then its at your best interest to learn both programs

lets put it like this my man, you can walk this musical career path without ever touching fruity loops and anybody ever asking you to use it

pro tools....no so much.

ive never read so many posts from guys who simply refuse to learn...if you're against learning something with this music shit, then you've got another thing coming.

who told you these? seriously?

I swear some folks here intentionally misread posts just to have something to argue about.

Wtf happened to Pro Tools??

LoL!!

FL Studio has a super strong following, it appears to be taking over..... :bigeyes:

Thoughts??

in 2010 Propellerhead outsold everyone in the US besides Avid which is still the sales leader. I don't think FL is in the same league. In hip hop sure FL is mad popular but overall not at all

where did you get that stat from...

in 2010 Propellerhead outsold everyone in the US besides Avid

is it puplic knowledge?

also... the fact that many music school uses Reason as a learning tool is that part of the stat also...

Top selling music production/DAW software :

1 ) Cubase/Nuendo (Cubase 89%, Nuendo 11%)
2 ) Logic
3 ) Protools LE/MP (85%) and Protools HD (15%)
4 ) Sonar
5 ) Reaper
6 ) LIVE
7 ) Digital Performer
8 ) FL Studio
9 ) Reason/Record
10) Samplitude/Sequoia (Samplitude 91%, Sequoia 9%)

if seems like Reason has falling off a little... because now they are 9 out 10...

that list is what i based my priorities off of

the top 3, i know like the back of my hand

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

who told you these? seriously?

I swear some folks here intentionally misread posts just to have something to argue about.

thats what i gathered from what you wrote

Im getting the vibe that english isnt your first language

and i dont mean to be offensive when i tell you that.

where did you get that stat from...

in 2010 Propellerhead outsold everyone in the US besides Avid

is it puplic knowledge?

also... the fact that many music school uses Reason as a learning tool is that part of the stat also...

Top selling music production/DAW software :

1 ) Cubase/Nuendo (Cubase 89%, Nuendo 11%)
2 ) Logic
3 ) Protools LE/MP (85%) and Protools HD (15%)
4 ) Sonar
5 ) Reaper
6 ) LIVE
7 ) Digital Performer
8 ) FL Studio
9 ) Reason/Record
10) Samplitude/Sequoia (Samplitude 91%, Sequoia 9%)

if seems like Reason has falling off a little... because now they are 9 out 10...

I am not sure if its public knowledge or not but I found it on the Props website. I saw it some time ago I was a bit surprised when I read it actually because I thought it was a bit closer to what you said. Where did you find your info though? After rereading your list though I see yours is based on DAWS vs music software in general which is what theirs was based on. It could very well include vsts too idk.

Nah...this thread is pure garbage. FL isn't hot, the guys making the music are. If Lex Luger used Cakewalk home studio 2010, ni66as would be all over that program. When Just Blaze said he used logic...ni66as flocked to logic. Personally I could care less what the next man uses, I like to explore new shit as I see fit..not this phantom "industry standard" garbage. The truth is..the QUALITY of the songs you hear are sonically doctored by veteran engineers using 100K+ worth of programs/equipment..plz believe it!
People were already on Logic. Actually when I started hearing about the popularity of it Just Blaze was in Remix magazine talking about he used Live.
it would behoove you as a producer to learn logic and pro tools

fruity loops will never be an industry standard just off the simple fact what the engineers use dictates that, not beatmakers.
Something else to add to this is that people should really look beyond hip hop/r&b/Pop/whatever it is that you make and keep in mind that the music industry as a whole is using Pro Tools at some point. If you only think about tools related to how they work in your prefered genre of music you have very much so missed the point. The music industry is music as a whole and in this case mostly major studios. It is standard to find Pro Tools in said studios even if the engineers have other stuff too. Its still more common than anything else.
By tracking out .wav files I fail to see how this matters.
Depends on what you do. There is imo more benefit to knowing or having access to Pro Tools than not. There are cats out there who simply will not deal with you if you do not use Pro Tools. I actually bumped into that the other night. Singer asked me what i used and I told her Reason/Record/Sonar with a variety of synths and samplers mainly. She said no Pro Tools no go. This isnt the first time.
$1000 dollar investment is nothing

if this is just a hobby for you, then cool, do what works for you

but as a professional, i think its a wise investment.
Keep in mind that cats these days also think that Soundclick vip is an investment. We are all at different places

"HITS"???

hits like WHAT?

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

quoted for truth

He has produced for people like Waka and Rick Ross.

I think your reaching on what I meant, as in, working with major artists. Obviously he hasn't produced top 10 Billboard "hits" afaik. But you already knew that.

I agree....I'm seeing tons of cats using FL....kinda shocking if you ask me. Realistically it's not about the gear but how you use it...FL is probably easy to use especially compared to a full fledged DAW like Logic.

Back