Is FL Studio the new industry standard??

it would behoove you as a producer to learn logic and pro tools

fruity loops will never be an industry standard just off the simple fact what the engineers use dictates that, not beatmakers.

I just be joking around (a little) when Fl is mention. I've messed with just about every DAW out ever. But I truly think that a majority of Fl studio users who do not have a midi keyboard would love Cubase more than FL midi wise. I grew found of the Record demo, but it's still missing alot for me, but the workflow "kind...slightly kinda" reminds me of Cubase. I love the feeling of being limited in it, but when I can't do what I want how I want it agitates me. But recording vocals I expect to see pro tools dammit! It's no different than others, but it just feels right.

Last edited:
it would behoove you as a producer to learn logic and pro tools

fruity loops will never be an industry standard just off the simple fact what the engineers use dictates that, not beatmakers.

"industry standard" is only a slang and its not something official. engineers don't have a "standard" either. some use neve boards, some use ssl boards, others use DP, PT, LOGIC for mixing.

I think PT is the closest to it because it was the first big DAW with its own hardware. the 9 is the first version that works without a dedicated hw.

and I guess the OP meant standard in producing and not mixing. FL is nowhere near the "standard" in mixing.

Last edited:
Don't worry about the industry standard until you're in the industry.

... because industry standard software won't make a lot of people have industry standard music.

... as of right now, using my keen ear... less than 5 people on FP have industry standard music. If you count the occasional visitor that has done industry work that bumps the number a little.

A lot of people on here are making what I would like to call MELODIC NOISE instead of actual music that's enjoyable to listen to - Keyword = enjoyable.

I remember seeing those people take paintbrushes and just fling paint at a canvas... I hear the audible version of that a lot now-a-days...

This is a general statement - no names will be named (because I can't remember any, I only remember the names of people with good music)

I also didn't say that I was one of the 5...

:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
"industry standard" is only a slang and its not something official. engineers don't have a "standard" either. some use neve boards, some use ssl boards, others use DP, PT, LOGIC for mixing.

I think PT is the closest to it because it was the first big DAW with its own hardware. the 9 is the first version that works without a dedicated hw.

and I guess the OP meant standard in producing and not mixing. FL is nowhere near the "standard" in mixing.

ummm, yes there is a standard, the standard is exactly what it is, the standard, whether they use an SSL is irrelevant, hardware is irrelevant

PRO TOOLS and LOGIC is the standard and if you're a "producer" then its at your best interest to learn both programs

lets put it like this my man, you can walk this musical career path without ever touching fruity loops and anybody ever asking you to use it

pro tools....no so much.

ive never read so many posts from guys who simply refuse to learn...if you're against learning something with this music shit, then you've got another thing coming.

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

By tracking out .wav files I fail to see how this matters.

why are you against learning something? music is all about learning...why question it? why walk into a studio one day and have no clue how to use anything?

why not be comfortable in knowing you can walk into practically any studio and be efficient? is that not important to you?

if not, then it is what it is and we can agree to disagree.

why are you against learning something? music is all about learning...why question it? why walk into a studio one day and have no clue how to use anything?

why not be comfortable in knowing you can walk into practically any studio and be efficient? is that not important to you?

if not, then it is what it is and we can agree to disagree.

What are you even talking about haha.

I'm saying if your going to have somebody mix and master your tracks it's not going to be hardly any difference in you sending tracked out .wav's then sending a PT or Logic session.

I'm hardly against learning something, but your looking at a $1000 investment to get into Pro Tools and Logic to learn...

No point if you don't NEED to.

Keep it simple. Do what works for you.

What are you even talking about haha.

I'm saying if your going to have somebody mix and master your tracks it's not going to be hardly any difference in you sending tracked out .wav's then sending a PT or Logic session.

I'm hardly against learning something, but your looking at a $1000 investment to get into Pro Tools and Logic to learn...

No point if you don't NEED to.

Keep it simple. Do what works for you.

$1000 dollar investment is nothing

if this is just a hobby for you, then cool, do what works for you

but as a professional, i think its a wise investment.

Hey, cool story buddy!

All I am saying is lots of people have gotten further with less.

What are some of your production credits, as a professional? I would like to hear some of your finished work you have done using PT and Logic.

I don't make music as a hobby or a profession I make it as a lifestyle. I don't really make "beats" anymore though, so to me $1000 is a new Gibson SG to me more then two DAWs. Again, whatever works for you is what works best.

1. $1000 is a lot of money for something that you don't NEED.

2. Nobody is going to refuse to work with you or look down on you because you use Cubase or Sonar. Any engineer with half a brain will know that most other daw's are good enough to mix and master professional music.

3. It doesn't matter which DAW you use, because all you need to do is export tracked out .wav's of each channel.

4. The first time I used pro tools, I got sh*t done without reading a manual. It's pretty much the same as other DAW's. For any advanced features, it only takes a minute or two to find the right menu and boom. I could, without owning pro tools, walk into a studio and run through Pro Tools easily (and I have done that before by the way).

5. Since when is Logic the standard? Even pro tools is only de facto standard.

Explain to me one scenario where, as a producer, you would be forced to use Pro Tools.

Threads cool, replies cool,.......but yall do know that pro tools is still the industry standard right? May not like it but plenty of engineers love it. And recording is waaaay more important than midi work. Serious artist are going to record somewhere they trust, and the places that they trust are still using pro tools hd. If they see a cubase then they are out of there. The same with dats , reels, and blah blah blah. I don't blame them either. They don't have time to have a favorite for this and that, shit...garage band is their favorite but they don't like how their personal recordings sound. And their you have it. You selling beats? Well somebody is recording vocals somewhere and I doubt they are recording with FL. We talking industry standard for making beats? Naaaah, too many gearslutz for it to be that. Seriously, as soon as any of yall ass get some extra money you are going to buy some music shit. 4 geez now you got an mpc and some other shit...don't lie........everyday seeing the same equipment in musiciansfriend. I would rather have a studio set up than a program that has everything in one. So I pretend right now with Cubase until I get a drum machine, turntables, keyboards, ect. That's more of my comfort....nmoving around. When you sit on a bucket in front of a computer, your butt doesn't feel so good at my age. You moan and grouch alot. :D Smell like bengay in this mother****er!

Last edited:
Ableton is a beast. Even more beastly is using different pieces of equipment with it. I think that's why so many can't get into it but having other things to use with it is a dream.

Ableton has some cool midi controllers like the Launchpad and the APC; makes it very intuitive. I'd like to see more purpose built hardware. Maschine IMO is leading that divison and I think that is the future of software and hardware. I'd love to see a Maschine concept with keys instead of pads. Actually, something like a Maschine based on an MPK with keys AND pads would be incredible.

Hey, cool story buddy!

All I am saying is lots of people have gotten further with less.

What are some of your production credits, as a professional? I would like to hear some of your finished work you have done using PT and Logic.

I don't make music as a hobby or a profession I make it as a lifestyle. I don't really make "beats" anymore though, so to me $1000 is a new Gibson SG to me more then two DAWs. Again, whatever works for you is what works best.

rocko
mya
trae the truth
c-ride
uncle murda
s-dub

to name a few

and i have a few dozen cues on several tv shows on ESPN, SpeedTV and Fox

but that stuff doesnt matter, i was simply just throwing it out there that its a wise investment AS A PRODUCER to learn how to use every possible thing they can to be efficient in your typical studio because there will be situations where you cant work from home and the clock is ticking.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

1. $1000 is a lot of money for something that you don't NEED.

2. Nobody is going to refuse to work with you or look down on you because you use Cubase or Sonar. Any engineer with half a brain will know that most other daw's are good enough to mix and master professional music.

3. It doesn't matter which DAW you use, because all you need to do is export tracked out .wav's of each channel.

4. The first time I used pro tools, I got sh*t done without reading a manual. It's pretty much the same as other DAW's. For any advanced features, it only takes a minute or two to find the right menu and boom. I could, without owning pro tools, walk into a studio and run through Pro Tools easily (and I have done that before by the way).

5. Since when is Logic the standard? Even pro tools is only de facto standard.

Explain to me one scenario where, as a producer, you would be forced to use Pro Tools.

1. If you're a professional, yes you do need it
2. I personally use cubase, but i also use pro tools and logic, which comes back to my ORIGINAL point, which is, learn as much as you can.
3. this aint about exporting anything, this about being versatile enough to walk into any studio and being efficient, do you leave the house? or do you only work at home?
4. if you did all that, why are you arguing with me?
5. Logic is pretty popular outside north america.

1. If you're a professional, yes you do need it

The word need is arguable.

In defense to all this you can always have a laptop with your DAW of choice, that way no matter what studio your in you can always make music.

Lex Luger makes hits on FL Studio (probably bootleg) on a Toshiba Laptop with I think a cheap Alesis USB mixer and some Yamaha HS80s.

No Pro Tools, no keyboards, no nothing.

I think NEED and WANT are often misplaced terms.

I WANT a Neumann U87, but I could make great recordings with a Avantone CV-12.

Cost/Benefit Analysis is key.

The word need is arguable.

In defense to all this you can always have a laptop with your DAW of choice, that way no matter what studio your in you can always make music.

Lex Luger makes hits on FL Studio (probably bootleg) on a Toshiba Laptop with I think a cheap Alesis USB mixer and some Yamaha HS80s.

No Pro Tools, no keyboards, no nothing.

I think NEED and WANT are often misplaced terms.

I WANT a Neumann U87, but I could make great recordings with a Avantone CV-12.

Cost/Benefit Analysis is key.

its never good to use exceptions to support your argument

im a producer, i record songs, i need to know pro tools

if all you do is make beats, then fine. but i hate the word "producer" being tossed around

anybody can make a beat...tht dont mean they're a producer.

Pro Tools is the industry standard for the old industry. Listen to music nowadays. ppl do not care about what you are using anymore. If you want industry standard music go to the pre 2002 era and find it

i'm still used to the mindset of it not being accepted.... so I try to hide subconsiously. not too long ago.... if you used fl, you didn't tell anybody.

Back