Fl studio or Reason?

WTF is wrong with Stock sounds?
If you buy a Motif you use them, why the hell wouldn't you when you buy software?

Sound developers put alot of effort into making them sound good. The same sound developers make sounds for all this crap. Y'all just stuck on the urban legend that a sound ain't good when another producer has heard or used it.

Newsflash, the consumers and fans don't give a damn. Just some hatin' azz dude who thinks they know where your sound comes from, cause that same clap you got in FL is in the Triton, Refills for Reason, Pro Tools, and the Motif.

I think it's important to note that in any program, stock sounds really are a great starting point to lay down quick ideas (reference drums, midi patterns, etc) Then you can go back when you have more time and really work on the track through replacing or even better, layering if you picked out sounds that give you a decent starting point on what you are trying to achieve.

:cheers:

the question that never dies....

IMHO - just read up on them, look at the GUI's and see which one looks cleanest to you and see what features you want..

I understand why some people rewire programs... they may like Reasons components, but Pro Tools sequencer or vice versa... Or they love Reasons stock sounds but love FL's playlist and flexibility with VST's..

but splitting hairs at this point will just throw a major monkey wrench in any progress... Why learn 2 DAW's at once? it's double the work and too much of a workload IMO.

Pick one, the one that looks best and is most flexible.. And LEARN IT inside and out.

I recommend FL STUDIO because it is very user friendly and it has been very kind to me...I am getting to where I want to go with it.

I ditched Reason very early.. I didn't like it at all.

But you will see, what you can do with one (given some very trivial features and capabilities) you can do with any of the DAW's.

Last edited:
let's not go that far and say fruity is far better because i don't agree at all.
hey am comparing on the two.....to me fl is good than reason but am actually a cubase and logic studio user.
so i dont go deep in fl and reason just used them partly.

Im my opinion fl studio and reason are about equal. They both have a equal amount pro's and con's and it can be argued all day which one is better. I believe that the D.A.W. is 10% and the user is 90%. I feel the most important factor is who is behind the controls. I've seen producers with nothing but fl studio and a pc make tracks that they sell and make thousands a month, then i've also seen producers with the most expensive version of reason and the most expesive studio set up with all the top production gear and they can't even give their beats away for free. So again i feel it's all about the musical talent of the person behind the controls and less about the software. So no matter which one you have you gotta have or develope musical talent to get the most out of the software or its pointless.

they both are great at what they are but i myself prefer reason, now record......the closed enviroment forces you get creative instead of relying on plugins and vst to achieve a sound. that's just my take on it.

This is a great point. It is in times of struggle that humans have been the most creative!

well it's been my experience that serious music heads use reason cuz all the reason users I know have some kind of setup,midicontrollers,decent soundcard,monitors,pre-amps,mixing board,turntables,etc...all the FL users I've seen is strictly mouse and keyboard producers with crappy 16bit soundcard that came with computer and thas it,5 yrs later they still on the same shyt..and from what I've seen also,all FL users are samplers..it's not like reason where you have all these sounds to compose with,so you have an option to do either or both...everybody that uses FL is a guaranteed sample producer..if you use FL and are not a sample producer it's cuz you're rewiring FL into something else

well it's been my experience that serious music heads use reason cuz all the reason users I know have some kind of setup,midicontrollers,decent soundcard,monitors,pre-amps,mixing board,turntables,etc...all the FL users I've seen is strictly mouse and keyboard producers with crappy 16bit soundcard that came with computer and thas it,5 yrs later they still on the same shyt..and from what I've seen also,all FL users are samplers..it's not like reason where you have all these sounds to compose with,so you have an option to do either or both...everybody that uses FL is a guaranteed sample producer..if you use FL and are not a sample producer it's cuz you're rewiring FL into something else

This post is just false on so many levels.

how can it be false if I'm seeing it with my own eyes ? I'm not saying thas all FL users cuz obviously idk any of you but the eyes don't lie...there's a dude on here that ustreams..he uses FL and a computer keyboard and thas it,something I see all the time

edit: don't take it personal...ok at one point I did generalize but it's what I've seen...show me a FL user that uses FL by itself and doesn't use samples

Last edited:
serious music heads use whatever gets the job done. im not a sampler and i dont rewire yet but i will in the near future. u got it all wrong homie, idk where u gettn dis info.

serious music heads use whatever gets the job done. im not a sampler and i dont rewire yet but i will in the near future. u got it all wrong homie, idk where u gettn dis info.

ok but the thread is only talkin bout FL or reason...i go by what i see..I have no need to make shyt up

Im my opinion fl studio and reason are about equal. They both have a equal amount pro's and con's and it can be argued all day which one is better. I believe that the D.A.W. is 10% and the user is 90%. I feel the most important factor is who is behind the controls. I've seen producers with nothing but fl studio and a pc make tracks that they sell and make thousands a month, then i've also seen producers with the most expensive version of reason and the most expesive studio set up with all the top production gear and they can't even give their beats away for free. So again i feel it's all about the musical talent of the person behind the controls and less about the software. So no matter which one you have you gotta have or develope musical talent to get the most out of the software or its pointless.
dat's true

and again,this is just my opinion..an opinion based on what I've seen in past 10 years..might be different in your part of town...I doubt it but again thas my opinion

how can it be false if I'm seeing it with my own eyes ? I'm not saying thas all FL users cuz obviously idk any of you but the eyes don't lie...there's a dude on here that ustreams..he uses FL and a computer keyboard and thas it,something I see all the time

edit: don't take it personal...ok at one point I did generalize but it's what I've seen...show me a FL user that uses FL by itself and doesn't use samples

I know tons of cats who use fl and don't sample... I know 2 guys locally who do scores with FL studio. On the same token I know a dude who chops EVERYTHING in recycle and imports it into Reason.

Neither one is absolute.. I just find your post misleading because if you read it you get the impression that FL studio is for some poor hoodrat kid in HS using it on his compaq desktop with a ****ty little 25 keyrig. While big boys use Reason... and that's just not true.....

I agree that Reason makes you dig a little deeper because you are confined to their stock sounds.... and that's if you don't want to rewire.. But I have never been a fan of going to harder route just to say I did...

Not saying Reason is any more of a challenge to learn than any other DAW even though Reason was something I grew very frustrated using.. In the end, I prefer the ease of workflow with FL, as smooth workflow prevents my creativity from going stagnant.

And I do both sample and make 100% sample free comps just to clarify.

this is an opinion based topic...i think that the administrators of this site should erase FL vs Reason threads...

You guys get way too sentimental. When someone says something bad about FL. FL is NOT the best production software in the world. But I'm definitely not saying it is trash. I used to mess with it about 7 years ago, it was part of my introduction to software production. I am more of a hardware based guy. I do go to reason from time to time. But I am more into MPC and sound modules. As far as software, go for Pro Tools or Logic. It doesn't really get much more advanced than that. You guy have to remember to always continue to learn more and new programs. Knowledge is power kids!!!

You guys get way too sentimental. When someone says something bad about FL. FL is NOT the best production software in the world. But I'm definitely not saying it is trash. I used to mess with it about 7 years ago, it was part of my introduction to software production. I am more of a hardware based guy. I do go to reason from time to time. But I am more into MPC and sound modules. As far as software, go for Pro Tools or Logic. It doesn't really get much more advanced than that. You guy have to remember to always continue to learn more and new programs. Knowledge is power kids!!!

you do realize that a helluva lot has changed with FL since you last used it... right?

And, for the record, Logic and ProTools are no more advanced than Cubase, Sonar, or even Tracktion.

Man you sound all other the place.

that is just a dumb statement. i use both and you CAN compose on FL just like you can in reason. yes it's easier to sample on FL than Reason but that dont mean FL users are strictly sample based producers/beatmakers. i like reason sounds and sometimes rewire into FL or i can use the vsti's i have and can compose strictly in FL. and by saying every FL user use the stock soundcard is just dumb. most new beatmakers start off with stock cards when trying out programs they using me being one of them. and i can say have an audio interface and midi contollers that i do use now.

Back