Does looping samples make you any less of a beat maker or producer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
exactlly blaze has looped and dude is paid...its all how you work with it

if theres a chopped beat that sound decent and a looped beat that sounds hot im gonna take the looped beat

its all about how it sounds to the general ear

co-sign:)

Look at Madlib,a lot of his beats are loops and he has a mad worldwide
following.

I've recently had to give sampling a break for a few projects I've been working on. Every time I turn something in to these guys they ask me over and over again if it contains a sample. It actually puts me in a good mood, because that's proof that may sound isn't relying on an old record just because I usually use old records to get it.

I think sampling gives you a different sound all together and a different ear for music than just playing keys and vice versa(not saying either is superior) think about how "from scratch" producers sample and the song still sounds like it's "from scratch" and think of how sample producers do tracks that surprise you when you find out were not sampled. In the end, you get to the point where your music sounds like you regardless of how it's created. That's what we all should be trying to acheive.

Last edited:
I've recently had to give sampling a break for a few projects I've been working on. Every time I turn something in to these guys they ask me over and over again if it contains a sample. It actually puts me in a good mood, because that's proof that may sound isn't relying on an old record just because I usually use old records to get it.

I think sampling gives you a different sound all together and a different ear for music than just playing keys and vice versa(not saying either is superior) think about how "from scratch" producers sample and the song still sounds like it's "from scratch" and think of how sample producers do tracks that surprise you when you find out were not sampled. In the end, you get to the point where your music sounds like you regardless of how it's created. That's what we all should be trying to acheive.

Truth, not much else to say.......

-1-

Two things on this point, first based off of the initial question 2nd based off of someone's response.

1. This **** started based off of loops - Anyone ever heard of Sugar Hill Gang? Rappers Delight? Chic? "A to da hip ....Hop...Da hibbit..." ;). Finding a dope loop and finessing it will never be whack in hip-hop. But its really about finding NEW loops that no one has got at yet and being the first dude to rock it. STOP BITING!!!!!!! *cough cough "Jenny From the Block" cough cough "Can't hold me down" cough cough*

2. "Blaze loops beats....and he's paid!!!!' Now granted Just Blaze does loop beats, but who gives a **** how paid he is????? That is the **** we need to get away from , well at least music fans need to get away from. Someone making dough does NOT make them a good musician. It does make them a poipular one though. I can't wait until people stop dick riding based off of how much money a dude has. How non heterosexual does that **** sound?? "Owe he's dope! I like him cause he got a lot of money"?????? What part of the game is that ****?

That all being said Just is super dope! because his music is dope and he's talented as **** - can play keys, chop records, and is a dope ass DJ. But for real when criticing a dudes body of work as a musician, we all should do a better job of keeping there bank account out of it, and keeping his/her style and originality at the fore front.

Quick rant my bad, HAHA!!!

Last edited:
Two things on this point, first based off of the initial question 2nd based off of someone's response.

1. This **** started based off of loops - Anyone ever heard of Sugar Hill Gang? Rappers Delight? Chic? "A to da hip ....Hop...Da hibbit..." ;). Finding a dope loop and finessing it will never be whack in hip-hop. But its really about finding NEW loops that no one has got at yet and being the first dude to rock it. STOP BITING!!!!!!! *cough cough "Jenny From the Block" cough cough "Can't hold me down" cough cough*

Rapper's Delight was actually done by studio musicians because the archaic sampling methods that era. But looping is looping, so yeah......

-1-

I would say looping only makes you less of a producer if its the only thing you know how to do...theres nothing wrong with throwing drums over hot loops....but if you can't chop or play at all then you aren't really doing much...

sampling doesn't make you any less of a producer...looping a sample doesn't make you any less of a producer..I know plenty folks who can't even **** with a loop much less chopping it up and creating a trainwreck,they were better off with the loop..drums don't match or they're off..no bassline...it's not looping on point..many factors..it's all on how you layer that loop also..Kanye is the biggest looper I know of but he layers it so well...alot these big name producers use loops

if a sample sounds bettter looped ill loop it, and if theres no loop its time to chop, thats how i see it

Last edited:
its all art ... just do what your comfortable with. so much modern music includes sampling on some level. Electronica often sounds cool because it uses the same samples over and over, giving it a ridiculous tightness.

If your interested in looping, you should also check out flyloops looping studio. It's software that I helped develop, so I have some stake in promo I guess ... but I'm not spamming here, just mentioning it because it allows you too load up small samples and play them on top of loops.

Last edited:
i stopped looping simply bcuz artists were bein takin to court and losin the verdict... then losing all rights to the music... i usedta loop all the time... u can get sued for choppin as well... its the strict samplin laws that made me reach into the LFOs and other filters that can really turn a sample into brand new notes and melodies... not hard once u learn how, but very enjoyable when people are wrong about where it came from, yet noddin they head to it.

da relic

at the end of the day its all about what u think if somethings dope dont let someone tell u whats good or not bc thats not their style if you lay up or dunk it dosent matter u still score two points SMH:rolleyes:

Most of the greats and most of the great hip-hop songs from way back when were pretty much based on loops. In a way I can see how it was more of a skill back then considering the technology. Getting a sample to loop with an SP-1200 must have been a pain. DJ's must have spent hours on the decks juggling beats and looping records. Today, since the technology has developed so much and made certain things alot easier, it creates a demand for beatmakers and electronic musicians to be more creative in the use of the improved technology. But when it comes down to it: if it sounds good, it sounds good. Nonetheless I don't think you should feel discouraged to be bound just by looping, try pushing out of those boundaries even if it does sound like crap. It'll help you become more creative in terms of your techniques and use of the technology. A good loop is nice, but chopping and trying other things allows you to become better at manipulating the sample to sound different and possibly better (for your beat that is).

I suck at chopping also. My better beats are usually based on loops too. But I still try to chop to look for sounds that can be manipulated re-arranged or emphasized, you never know what you'll find.

It doesn't make you any less of a beatmaker but I think you end up limiting your skills and creativity in the long run by bounding yourself. If you're going to loop I say try to at least dig for some rare and unusual grooves (probably impossible to do these days) that are unheard of or possibly never used before. I think listening and finding a loop on a record is a skill on its own. I think you should (if you aren't already) also try to add instruments to the loop just to add to the creativity and textures of whatever loop you use: Drum hits of course, synth section, strings, stabs, overdubs of live sounds, etc. Get creative.
100% agree

Type "Hip Hop, Sampling & Chopping Beats- Styles upon Styles upon Styles" into youtube.

Watch this if you haven't already. He makes a couple of good points.

It's a producer stating his opinions on beat making. How it's so generic now etc.

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

whatever you fools say the greatest songs in hiphop have always been sampled, and not chopped to death like the crap yall post. im not against chopping but you guys take it too far claiming that looping is anything but art. i get mad when i here make you better, or TROY, or the tru york intro. i dont get mad because they just threw some drums on a loop and made a great beat, i get mad cus i didnt get the sample first. all of you are stuck in some fantasy world where people want to hear ****ty beats that are chopped into unrecognizable pieces because thats "real hiphop". im not tryna be an ******* but ive only heard like two producers on here who make good beats with lots of chops and the rest of it sounds like ****. you guys need to stop following the crowd and get real.

I aint a producer yet but this pretty much sums up what I think. I don't know of any hip hop track that doesn't use a sample that I like. Seriously. Chopping to death sounds like a robot made it.

If you loop a sample, the difference beetwen you and a "composer" is he makes his figure himself. what happens after dat is the same. So if you spend 5hours hurtin your back going thru old records and he picks up a guitar and plays with it for awhile its not like hes ding much more then u

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back