Does looping samples make you any less of a beat maker or producer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bobsmitt said:
i loop if i can and i chop if there's no loop.

I do the same damn thing it doent matter how you make it. but at the end of the day you can look back and so damn thats hot

this is the single most stupidest thread ever does it matter u loop or not no or compose no an the other crazy producers missed one huge thing the producers job is not to worry and how ur producing its the rapper or the singer that matters case and point 9th wonder produced mary.j blige ohhhhhh missed that huh it wasnt that he was thinking damn im fixing to loop this sample or i gotta chop this sample he just made good music and guess what he got payed sooo u telling me u gotta compose that babyback bull**** if it wasnt for james brown samples it wouldnt be hip-hop be see these wanna know it all assholes dont know **** really know ur history before u all start talkin

Ps R&b songs have samples in them too

Last edited:
y ya'll ressurecting threads from the dead???lol

Last edited by a moderator:
respns

NinjaNess said:
Whenever I try to chop up samples, they end up sounding ****ty. But when I loop it, I can usually make some hot beats....But I was thinking, looping samples is much easier than chopping them up (imo)....So would that make me any less of a beat maker?
i personally dont sample at all but i still think you have to have a special talent to make music on someone elses track and make your own, i wish i could do it.....

Personally I think it's alright to do it occasionally but if your constantly doing I would suggest switching it up and move over to chopping the samples up

i do both. if it sounds good. it sounds good. pianists start their lessons by playing famous piano songs. isnt that sampling? people at open mics always do covers. isnt that sampling ? im just saying.

In my opinion it depends on the samples used in the track. Some samples 'need' less chopping, simply beause it would make it the sample less 'strong'. Others MUST be chopped and rearranged because they would sound like crap if you didn't.

In the end it's the result that counts, I've made some beats that peeps really digg even though I think they're crap myself simply because the making of the track took less effort than if I would've chopped everything up making things really complicated (thus giving me a more satisfied feeling as a beat creator ;)).

In the eyes of other producers...yes. In the eyes of artists who will buy your tracks, and fans who will buy CDs...No. All kanye does majority of the time is loop samples, and he's one of the biggest producers out right now.

Other producers will find something wrong with whatever you do whether it's looping, sampling, using 808s, synths, not sampling, using computers, not using pro tools or MPCs, lol. You shouldn't care what other producers who are gonna always think they're better than you think. They think everything that's not done the way they do things is wrong. People who actually appreciate music enough to buy a beat from you or a CD with your beat on it don't care. That's advice for all of FP.

When you loop, you're forced to make the drums perfect. The sample is whats makin in nice but the drums is whats getting the headnod. If your drums aren't perfect, people are gonna be like, "he took a hot sample and made a weak ass beat." Thats not a good look. But when you nail that, I can give you full props cuz you did your thing.

whatever you fools say the greatest songs in hiphop have always been sampled, and not chopped to death like the crap yall post. im not against chopping but you guys take it too far claiming that looping is anything but art. i get mad when i here make you better, or TROY, or the tru york intro. i dont get mad because they just threw some drums on a loop and made a great beat, i get mad cus i didnt get the sample first. all of you are stuck in some fantasy world where people want to hear ****ty beats that are chopped into unrecognizable pieces because thats "real hiphop". im not tryna be an ******* but ive only heard like two producers on here who make good beats with lots of chops and the rest of it sounds like ****. you guys need to stop following the crowd and get real.

I really have to cosign deRanged...that producer either hating cuz he didn't find that sample or simply because you got the loop bangin..you probably put that swing to it when all they could have done was something basic

let me drop my opinion.

first off, ima old head. been writing rhymes since 1989- making beats since about 1996.

chopping is NOT more creative than looping...regardless of what people say nowadays. there was a time when producers considered sampling THE FIRST FEW BARS of a song uncreative.

so, dudes were sampling the choras or whatever.

it don't matter! loop or chop, it's your STANK THAT YOU PUT ON IT.

hands down. most CLASSIC HIP HOP RECORDS that are seemingly better than any of the stuff to day were just loops. remember T.R.O.Y? That Tom Scott sample??

and chopping has become so MUNDANE, FORMULAIC, MODAL and ASS EASY, it's just as boring and drab as looping now.

so, those pro-chop, anti-loop producers, WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

It's all about the finished product. Anyone who tells you different should stfu.

I could care less about who feels looping isn't "enough" because all the greats from Primo to Blaze have done it.

Eat a dick if you have an issue with loops.

I do w/e...chop...loop..if someone can take a regular soul/rock/jazz loop that would other wise not be bangin enough to rap over and turn it into hip hop then that takes skill..even something as simple as going over a loop can be fukked up..drums ain't matching...drums are cheesy..weak bassline..bad loop...bad mix..poor choices of addtl elements..the tempo is too fast/slow...it's not hard but definently not anybody can do it

i may be opening up a can of worms saying this, but i don't comment that much and rebuttal that often on here that much so **** it...

is it me or is their two types of users on here? those who dislike sampling, claim its stealing, claim its unoriginal, cheap etc.

and those who support it and understand it that their is more to sampling than just loopin and chopping a record?

oh and lets not forget c, those who sample and dislike composing because they claim "it doesn't feel like hip hop" if it's not sampled?

Keep in mind if i get some time and i'm on here browsing im listening to both, i can truthfully say i understand and appreciate the work and sound behind both, but got damn why can't we all just say "if it sounds good, hot, dope w/e slang you prefer....**** it, let that mu****a ride!?"

That's what i go by even listening to loops. Because if a loop hits me with i'll be like "man...so simple but so good to me" ya know? Example? see Methodman and REdman Mrs. international.

It's all about the finished product. Anyone who tells you different should stfu.

I could care less about who feels looping isn't "enough" because all the greats from Primo to Blaze have done it.

Eat a dick if you have an issue with loops.

all said.

As a producer, you have to judge what you're going to do based on the sample. Some samples are so dope looped, that if you chop it, you're going to ruin it. It's really a judgment call. If I find something that sounds amazing looped, I'll loop it. However I'll find other things in the sample to add to it. I mean, if I find something that's a 2 bar loop that just sounds amazing, why would I want to **** that up by chopping it? Sure, I'll put it in the machine and play around with it, but if I can't come up with something when I chop it that sounds nearly as dope as the loop, I won't **** with it. It's all relative.

this really a dumb argument to be having....think about it.

people call sampling stealing. its only stealing if you get paid for using an uncleared sample. if you get clearance, it's like standing on the shoulders of artists that came before you. composing your own shyt is all good. cheers to you if you can lay down a score like Elfman and those guys, but don't be so short sighted. muzak comes in all forms. whether sampling or composing, your job as a producer is to make music that moves people, and creates a different environment for them. people use muzak to escape for a few minutes, to focus, to unwind, to party and so on. if you give them the backdrop that provides for the atmosphere that they are seeking then you have done your job. On another note....I know mad people that would slide into a groove if they heard an old familiar break or loop with some new 90's/2000's style lyrics and feel (Warren G & Nate Dogg - over the Michael McDonald Loop was ill). That familiarity tends to bring the listener into the song more...well that's my feeling about it. So loop if you must. If you feel so inclined to chop, then chop. If you don't do either, then do whatever it is that you do. At the end of the day, just make some good muzak....I'm sure you've heard that numerous times before. Good muzak is what matters most.

Peace Godz

ONE-derkid

P.S. Go listen to my composed and sampled shyt, bytches.

Last edited:
depends on the produer, some heads jus layer drums an call it a beat...

exactlly blaze has looped and dude is paid...its all how you work with it

if theres a chopped beat that sound decent and a looped beat that sounds hot im gonna take the looped beat

its all about how it sounds to the general ear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back