Do You Ever Use Loops? !poll!

Do you ever use loops to create your music??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in that. Any loop softwares that anyone would recommend looking into? I understand that even while it's a special feeling to create your own drumlines, some sample or I guess drumloop backup can give that extra "oompf" to the air in the beat... something I have problems with sometimes, feeling like a beat is too empty...

It'd be decent to have a loop generator or VST or something where you can just feed the loop into the beat... for me, by the time I'm finished chopping up a sample or some drums I could've started like 4 compositions... exaggerating but still...

Starting to think I should set aside a day or so for chopping...

FTR (for the record) sampling is how Hip Hop was BORN and continues to live. So ummm have fun "elitists"... I just think it's easier from scratch.

Personally, I would recommend a few to you off the top of my head. Zero X Beat Quantiser, Glitch and there is one other I can't remember at the moment... I can find out though.

Professional loops let you gaze into the eyes of how experts lay down beats. Why not learn the quick way :¬P.

Right, really... why not pick up knowledge and make music "by any means necessary"... Checking this stuff out over the weekend, thanks a bunch, I'm currently looking for some new outlets and really starting to think about loops... might unlock somethin...

drum loops are for sissies... i understand people starting out are probably not going to have the best beats, but if you cant create something original that sounds good within a year of consistently experimenting, its time to hang it up and leave it to the big boys. my 2 cents.

wow people actually use loops?? I thought loops were only good for chopping and sampling

Last edited:
yes people actually use loops : () I for one am one of those people and am damn good at it, just got to be creative and have some good equipment that can manipulate, distort, and rearrange the loop to do your bidding. Just have to be creative; scratch over the top of it, if you invest some and cash buy a good cdj you can even scratch those loops. not really just a loop any more is it ??? : )

The one thing that I DO NOT **** with is loops. That shit is lazy. I've sampled a single drum from a drum loop two or three times, but to just throw in the whole thing like it's yours......no, hell no.

Ah.. the old loops debate.. I used to stay away from them because of the same reason most other people do; bc wont feel like we 100% made the track. My mind has changed though through the years of making music. I've come to the conclusion that no matter how easy one might think it is to use a loop, the song isn't going to sound good unless you're talented. I've used individual sounds from a loop, i've used the whole loop, if you produce a good overall song who cares? My favorite thing to use drum loops for now is in the background of electronic music. Throw some distortion on it and heavy reverb for some nice background sounds. Who cares. You're either talented or you're not; whether or not you use loops is irrelevant.

Interesting a$$ debate goin on ova hea. I never thought in an elitist way about loops, but I am warming up to using em, especially since that other stuff doesn't apply to me. I make my own drum loops, never hard to do if you slap good melodies and basslines on it, but in today's modern production world, it doesn't pay to be traditional... I'm checkin this loop concept out...

Of course I use loops, every real producer uses loops depending on what sound their trying to achieve, cuz loops usually come with that loopy sound.
But loops really come in handy when in low budget situations.
Even the best of the best, pull out a loop from time to time....

I use samples for loops. But even still, creativity can come from the most uncreative of sources. I totally agree with the making music by "any means necessary." Sometimes you got to go through the box to think outside of it if you get my drift. New doesnt mean good and old doesnt mean bad.

Hilarious thread.

Kanye, who uses record SAMPLES, as in LOOPING a record, is considered the greatest producer of all time by some.

But ohh no don't you dare use LOOPS in your music

So a record loop is NOT a loop...

:D :D :D :D

BTW I wonder how many fans returned a record after they found out out the artist was using loops

The only thing I would ever use that's a loop is a drum loop and even then I have a LOT of trouble using it and end up cutting it to pieces or reversing it.

I used to use loops a lot, but it made me feel like I was just making generic music. I don't like making shit people have heard 100 times... and so I'll probably never make money doing what I do and frankly I don't give a shit either way.

Edit: I wanted to add, all my music is kind of loop based but I write the loops... I guess all music is really, if a loop is something that's played over and over.

Last edited by a moderator:
the closest thing i ever use to loops is like an arp or a sequence preset in a vst and even then i try to adjust it to suit my needs. once in a great while ill use a drum loop and do what polyj does. not to say that loops are bad, i just dont use them because its hard to learn how to master my craft if im taking shortcuts. loops are no different then samples and alot of very famous producers got where they are from sampling. look at kanye

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 AM ----------

yes some people might "frown upon" using loops. but way more people will frown upon buying wack beats. i know id be a much better producer if i used loops and samples and sell alot more, but i still dont. just like nobnarb, im not here for the money. I like making beats and even if i never sell another beat id still keep doing what i do. thats just me. if you're here to be known and make more money then looping and sampling might be a better option for most people. also, lets not forget that if you do ever get signed to a major label, you will have time limits and deadlines on your beats, as well as access to huge sample libraries that the record company owns the rights to. learning to sample effectively before hand will only work out to your advantage. just be careful what you sell though cuz you dont want someone else to buy your beat and get busted for copyright infringement.

A minimal amount, but ALWAYS CHOPPED UP! I don't ever like doing the "one button" long-sample play situation! Just me though.

There's so much that can be done when you chop and mix samples up!

yes, i loop samples from actual songs though. not from some freeware cd with premade loops and cuts i found at sam ash or what have you....in other words when i sample a song i know its the only song layed down in that fashion, because (I) cut it..but if i use a premade loop from a freeware cd, i could most likely promise you that a million other people have that loop layed down the exact same way...but then a again thats just me...

i hope my hip hop cats out here realize that most of the kicks, snares. and etc are also sounds you did not make yourself. Unless you got reason 5, most of us have to tweak already made samples... I don't see how people can hate loops or sampling so so much when we live in a world thats been "done over" in every aspect, 1000 times.

Modify, Shape, and Chop as much as needed or leave it the way it is, as long as your finished product is something that you feel is creative to shine.

Love it.

I personally use loops all the time. Drums, horns, some keys (tryin' to step my piano game up, though)...I stay away from guitar loops though. Mostly 'cause I play guitar. I think if you freak it the way you want it, 9 times out of 10 most cats aren't even going to know where the sound came from, nor will they care. They just want it to sound fresh. And if you are that tenth person who is listening that closely, and know every drum break and loop pack known to man, brother, you need to get out the house.

Damn I wish I could play instruments... I'd be a one man American Bandstand... them skills are all some of us need to go from Super Nintendo to Maybach Music...

i have a bunch of 128 bmp loops meant for dance music that i sometimes use for hip hop which is kinda cool cuz they arent as recognizable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back