DJ Mustard & The Return of the Hip Hop Super Producer

ummm theyre were toooooons of people biting both timbo and neptunes style waaay back in the dayz..... me being one of them lol.....

In response to both you and KelvraOne:

I play piano, but creating a folder named "Mozart beats" hardly makes it in the same stratosphere as Mozart. There's a HUGE difference between switching up your syncopation on your kicks and hi-hats and actually replicating a Timbaland beat. Many people have tried pointalism, but they're not even close to being a "Super Painter" like Monet.

Please tell me what this so-called "Mustard" style is and I'll bring up beats from the 80's and 90's of people who were doing it before him. Someone posted a video in another thread of him DJ'ing and he announces, "This is one of the songs that inspires me" and it's a 90's dance track where he stole the melody and just put it over a simple trap beat.

In response to both you and KelvraOne:

I play piano, but creating a folder named "Mozart beats" hardly makes it in the same stratosphere as Mozart. There's a HUGE difference between switching up your syncopation on your kicks and hi-hats and actually replicating a Timbaland beat. Many people have tried pointalism, but they're not even close to being a "Super Painter" like Monet.

Please tell me what this so-called "Mustard" style is and I'll bring up beats from the 80's and 90's of people who were doing it before him. Someone posted a video in another thread of him DJ'ing and he announces, "This is one of the songs that inspires me" and it's a 90's dance track where he stole the melody and just put it over a simple trap beat.

All the Mustard style is, is the bay area sound that's at a tempo around 90 bpm for people to dance too. There's usually a simple synth line as the lead.

Neptunes used to be pretty sparse drums hard hitting drums with a gritty high synthline or bassline playing throughout. Every once in a while there is some congas or bongos playing throughout to give it more sense of rhythm.

Both of the sounds are easy to imitate.

Neptunes used to be pretty sparse drums hard hitting drums with a gritty high synthline or bassline playing throughout. Every once in a while there is some congas or bongos playing throughout to give it more sense of rhythm.

Both of the sounds are easy to imitate.

I think I misinterpreted your meaning of "Replicating" as in saying the Sounds, Technicality and Quality when you just meant the Sounds - my fault.

You should be better than Mozart. If not, at least pretend to be. It is a new day and age. Learning how to play piano is easy now. Stop doubting yourself and get your swag up.

Last edited:
his beats got played out a long time ago ,im surprised he still relevant 'like mike will made he had his shine and now hes done' its ironic he isnt from frisco hes from la , and he does hyphy beats '

Question? Is Juicy J a "producer" or artist in 2014?

Super producer age is "never" coming back. Sorry. It had it's time. Once it became exceptable to bite and it's o.k by the originators..............jus sayin......

You can always be a pop star, though.

Juicy J be trippin me out. No pun.

Never know with these wierdo youngins now a days though. I mean......yall are setting yourselves on fire and stuffing tampons full of liquor up your ass..............so anything is possible.....

^^^Max Martin made that beat if I remember right. Only reason I halfway remember that is because I was sure it was Juicy J, if not Max Martin, Mike Will?

^^^^exactly...........Juicy J is not producing most of the songs he is on. He is Juicy J the catch phrase rapper.

"Juicy J got bank like Uncle Phill".............

Haven't read through all the pages of this thread, but I'm gonna assume many people are disagreeing, as do I.

The Neptunes, super producers
Dre, super producer
Timbo, super producer
Storch, super producer
Quincy Jones, super producer.
Rick Rubin, super producer.

These guys know MUSIC. Point blank.

I'm not gonna sit here and bash Mustard like his beats don't bang ... but in terms of actual skill and producing power, he's like at level 1 right now in my eyes. I've heard plenty of Mustard studio sessions and it's obvious he doesn't know anything about music. Every track is literally clipping...his 808's arent even in tune until his engineer comes and fixes it. His formula is that same, and it's working. That shouldn't define skill though.

Popularity =\= Skill

Last edited:
The Neptunes, super producers
Dre, super producer
Timbo, super producer
Storch, super producer
Quincy Jones, super producer.
Rick Rubin, super producer.

To put his name among that list is like saying

Michael Jordan
Magic Johnson
Isaiah Thomas
Charles Oakley
Shaq Oneal
Charles Barkley

.......:cheers:

All I been trying to say. We got to some how separate the not so super "super producers" from the ones that fly and shoot beams from their eyes and stuff like that.

I can't just throw DJ Quik in as a super producer since he is my favorite......it's disrespectful to Dr.Dre's super powers........Quik can barely be called Robin in the same breath. Musicwise I can say Quik all the way, though. :cheers:

Last edited:
To put his name among that list is like saying

Michael Jordan
Magic Johnson
Isaiah Thomas
Charles Oakley
Shaq Oneal
Charles Barkley
..it's disrespectful to Dr.Dre's super powers........Quik can barely be called Robin in the same breath. Musicwise I can say Quik all the way, though. :cheers:

Fine, i'll give you that. Although I think if Storch didn't run into drugs he'd still be killin it but that's another story. Quik definitely has my respect. Trauma is easily best sonically sounding hip hop album in the last 14 years. He's extremely technical and precise in his craft.

I'm so glad some people with enough knowledge of music outside of what's been on the radio the last few years have joined this conversation.

Question? Is Juicy J a "producer" or artist in 2014?

[video=youtube;0KSOMA3QBUhttps://www.ube.com/watch?v=0KSOMA3QBU0[/video]

Super producer age is "never" coming back. Sorry. It had it's time. Once it became exceptable to bite and it's o.k by the originators..............jus sayin......

you make no sense. Dr Luke is a current super producer and there are a few others. It was never an "age" it's just if anyone can consistently make top 40 hits, they earn that title, few can do it, but there will always be someone.

Last edited:
you make no sense. Dr Luke is a current super producer and there are a few others. It was never an "age" it's just if anyone can consistently make top 40 hits, they earn that title, few can do it, but there will always be someone.

Thank you...it's like saying, "Is McDonalds a mega-company? It had it's time and everyone is biting from it, so no".

Maybe I'm just getting old or have less patience, but I really don't understand some of the "logic" I hear from the younger generation of musicians that are growing up in this Young Money/DJ Mustard era.

If your teacher is an idiot, then you're a total idiot...study the classics.

Last edited:

I think you're misunderstanding his statements. He's saying the era of guys(as in multiple people on the come up) getting paid $100k+ a track upfront on the strength that every record they touch goes multiplatinum is over. When an artist like Katy Perry, Miley, or Rihanna get their budget, they may be able to throw that to a veteran who's already established, but the label isn't gonna agree to that amount for anyone coming up these days. An artist like say...Rich Homie, YG, even Wiz, or Kendrick isn't gonna get that type of financial support from a label.

Now...here comes the politics...without that type of financial support fro the production of the record, they damn sure aren't getting the budget to push the song with the same caliber as in the past which damn sure isn't gonna make the song the same caliber of hit status. Guys like Timbo, Max martin, Dr. Luke, even Red One were established well before this new budgeted industry where labels are barely keeping the lights on in the buildings. So when you get an artist like Katy perry who's established herself, you may negotiate enough bread to roll Max Martin out of bed and then push the song he makes to it's fullest of potential because of the investment already made.

I'm lost to how this logic is escaping people in this thread. I can do no more than give hypotheticals, because the ball has already fallen where it lays...but...are you guys seriously telling me a song like "Grinding" by the Clipse could top charts in todays music market with todays push? Are you telling me that song is "advanced beyond the capabilities of Mustard?" I'm not saying mustard is great, I'm not even saying I like his music. I'm saying with the same opportunities that were given in prior eras, the little bit of noise he's making right now would be magnified. Refer to Collipark...who while I won't say was in my book a "superproducer", very arguably is one. You telling me he was "more deserving of all the accolade, money, faith from labels, ect. he was given over a guy like Mustard?

Again, in no way am I an advocate of this dude...I'm just saying in this time and era, he's on to an equivalent start as alot of these "greats" we are mentioning. They all started with a few songs and these same arguments about whether or not they were good. Establishing a brand takes time...and you're hearing "mustard on the beat, ho" more and more as the days go by. I personally think he'll be gone in a few months...but I'm not the hugest fan, so I can't tell how dedicated his fanbase is. Given his current momentum, I can't say I'd be surprised if he's around a while.

But real spit, everything I don't like about his tracks is the same stuff i never liked about the Neptunes. I would've said the same thing years ago if the same type thread appeared about them.

To use prior NBA analogies, dudes once got laughed at for mentioning Lebron amongst greats, Grant Hill was mentioned amongst them by many prematurely. Time reveals alot. All any of us can do is speculate for now.

Last edited:

1. lol.............yes there "was" an age.

2. lol........you say I make no sense and only mention Dr.Luke as consistent top 40........are there any others? But then the answers to these question always lead to " a few other non (super producers) with a very small record of (top 40 hits) to add in there to make a paragraph appear obese. Which makes my point valid. DJ Mustard got top 40.....your boy Dr.Luke got top 40.........WHAT's THE DIFFERENCE IN THE 2? Oh.....let's not count out the dude we are so quick and excited to say is outdated now who has had top 40 hits....Mike Will. But wait........what about the super producer Lex Luger and his top 40 resume..................hmmmmmmm. Where is the logic outside of "known pop producer Dr.Luke?" Why does he keep getting work? Why did all of those producers back in the "super producer era that you say was nonexistent" get all that work? Do you understand the system of the "super producer" album lists from back then? Is it the same today? Let me answer that for you....NO! Who do you see on "albums"? You see more producers like me and you on them........on the rise......and maybe two different "super producers" if not one. OR.....in otherwords....super producers FROM A SUPER RPODUCER ERA.......gladly using our work and putting their name on it and we GLADLY except the PAY for it. WHY? Answer is simple isn't it? Why spend all of this MONEY on super producers with NO SUPER GOT DAMN NAME? Waste of money right? Nobody has a name big enough any more to sell records like that....NOT EVEN DR.DRE...........you see? But damn.........in the Producer Era all it had to say was "produced by Dr.Dre and it sold. POroducers were a product by itself unlike ANY EFRA OF MUSIC....nobody cared who produced a record in any other era EVER. Neptune's had a trademark sound......lazergun blast and shit. Lil Jon yellin YEAH!!!! Darkchild in a freezer recording his tag. They kept that rotation going in the album format dude. ANY ARTIST FROM THE PAST....could go platinum because of it. Money was enough for you to get FUUCKED and don't care. THE CLUB SCENE. They KNEW how to get big numbers out of the people. You can fall asleep and be at a party at home with you T.V turned up loud...GIRLZ GONE WILD!!!! Not today though. Because you can't trust the consumers of today as it was in the "super producer era"....that you say never existed. DJ Mustard could be on his way to getting there...............that is until the "ALREADY NOW" choice of hungry knock offs take that chunk change offer. It's exceptable to use these knock offs now for budget. Which lessens YOUR chance of being DR.LUKE............a guy that had a foundation set and made around the "SUPER PRODUCER MFING ERA".

hmmmmmm........:cheers:

3. Question is...........how do you see a "producer" having a Dr.Luke foundation in TODAY'S ERA. You have to count that old man Dr.Luke out because he has been around....NAH MEAN? :cheers:

Last edited:
1. lol.............yes there "was" an age.

2. lol........you say I make no sense and only mention Dr.Luke as consistent top 40........are there any others?

I think you're misunderstanding his statements. He's saying the era of guys(as in multiple people on the come up) getting paid $100k+ a track upfront on the strength that every record they touch goes multiplatinum is over.

billboard just did an article about how Mike Will can pull 80 grand for a track. I'm sure that's rare, since he hasn't consistently made hit for almost a year now, but if he had stayed on top, he'd be a superproducer. You're claiming the time for it has passed since the only superproducers now are the older guys that were established. If a guy comes up now with the same success, he'll be in that category. Guys like Nic nac, Dj Mustard, Banny blanco, Cirkut, Jeberg, might get there. True the industry climate is different, but hits are hits and if someone can deliver them consistently, then they will pull in the money and earn that title.

billboard just did an article about how Mike Will can pull 80 grand for a track. I'm sure that's rare, since he hasn't consistently made hit for almost a year now, but if he had stayed on top, he'd be a superproducer. You're claiming the time for it has passed since the only superproducers now are the older guys that were established. If a guy comes up now with the same success, he'll be in that category. Guys like Nic nac, Dj Mustard, Banny blanco, Cirkut, Jeberg, might get there. True the industry climate is different, but hits are hits and if someone can deliver them consistently, then they will pull in the money and earn that title.

If Mike Will can pull 80 stacks per track I really would like to know how much Timbaland and the Neptunes command per track...especially since their songs are not diluted all over the radio and typically go to well-funded artists.

I know many cats on this forum got a little emotional and took things personal when I stated Timbo, Birdman and Dr. Dre had said in numerous articles they charge up to $250,000 to artists not on their labels.

Back