ASK ME ANYTHING (about music u dummy!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I keep posting here is because I don't ask techinical questions that anyone else with production experience can answer. I've been asking subjective and industry specific questions that I want Wallz to answer. Basically, I'll post anywhere that I know Wallz will check. Mano, if you're saying that this thread is a nightmare for you to maintain, then props to Wallz and Mano, you do what you gotta do. If you're saying that this thread is a nightmare for FP members to read through, then they should consider it homework and change their perspective. Either way, Wallz is the truth.

This thread is great, but hard to navigate due to its length. I think this one should be locked and a new one started.

My question is:

What is your opinion on up and coming producers selling albums locally with local artists using sample based beats, considering we obviously don't have the resources to properly clear samples?

Good Look to everyone who still keeps this thread up. To Mano1 i apologize for making your job hard fam. I guess if the jewels I drop get cats inerested and involved that was a good thing no matter how long the thread gets. But you're the boss you make the rules. Shut it down and I'll fall back my dude...

World Wide said:
This thread is great, but hard to navigate due to its length. I think this one should be locked and a new one started.

My question is:

What is your opinion on up and coming producers selling albums locally with local artists using sample based beats, considering we obviously don't have the resources to properly clear samples?

LAST POST:

If you sell records locally internationally or on Mars you will at some point NEED to compensate the artist that you sampled. But if your projest is super small, it probably wont hit the radar anyway. The worst thing that could happen to you at that point is your local project becomes a hit and now you're getting sued for not clearing the sample...

****On a personal note****

You don't know how that feels until it happens to you. Imagine me taking your beats off of MySpace and rapping to them and then... SELLING IT AND MAKING MONEY!!! Get this clear fam, we all love hip-hop and the underground guerilla way we make joints, but dont romanticize that shyt.. ITS stealing doggz. I pay for samples out of respect not cause I'm soft. Do your knowledge fam, there is legislation newly passed that will make uncleared samples a CRIME. Now, are you willing to do time for a sample???

Apparently this post has gotten too long and its been subtly hinted that it should be shut down. If any of you have any questions or comments hit me up on my wallbangerz guestbook page webpage. w w w wallbangerz . com (no spaces!!)

I'll answer questions there from now on....

HOLLA FP!!!!

OK, we're trying to get to 1000 and I haven't posted here yet, so here's my question.

Is it smart for an artist to relocate to a major city in hopes of getting noticed?

I've heard industry types answer this both ways, some say, stay where you are instead of moving to LA or whatever, because it's easier for you to make an impact in your hometown where the market isn't oversaturated.

Others that say you have to move to where the action is if you want a piece.

What is your take on the situation? In rap and in music in general.

DeeBlaze33 said:
OK, we're trying to get to 1000 and I haven't posted here yet, so here's my question.

Is it smart for an artist to relocate to a major city in hopes of getting noticed?

I've heard industry types answer this both ways, some say, stay where you are instead of moving to LA or whatever, because it's easier for you to make an impact in your hometown where the market isn't oversaturated.

Others that say you have to move to where the action is if you want a piece.

What is your take on the situation? In rap and in music in general.

you know what, this question was asked many times and I don't think he gave a real answer. He did say ATL was poppin at one point but now it's oversaturated.
I talked abot being originally from L.A. but went further in Minnesota and Asia. L.A. got a high supply but smaller demand. In the late 90s, Minnesota was craving hip-hop and labels wanted to crack in on that market I was at the right place.
Thailand loves Black men, period.
To answer your question, you better come to L.A. with resources and previous credits. Don't just be somebody with a beat CD who doesn't know where to go.

Tyree D. said:

you know what, this question was asked many times and I don't think he gave a real answer. He did say ATL was poppin at one point but now it's oversaturated.
I talked abot being originally from L.A. but went further in Minnesota and Asia. L.A. got a high supply but smaller demand. In the late 90s, Minnesota was craving hip-hop and labels wanted to crack in on that market I was at the right place.
Thailand loves Black men, period.
To answer your question, you better come to L.A. with resources and previous credits. Don't just be somebody with a beat CD who doesn't know where to go.

Ha. True, I just hear so many varying ideas on this topic, wanted to get some opinions. Doesn't have to be LA, ATL, MIA, or even someone who lives in a small town (100,000 population) that wants to move to a bigger city, Chicago, New York, etc.

DAMMIT MAIN! You do know by posting in this thread you sent an email to like half the members of this site! From the ashes from where it once rested in peace, the wall bangers thread rises...

It's time, It's time to bring back, FP to PRIME-TIME. (apologies to any members of the thread in my behalf of this disturbance)

I'm gonna take the good parts of this thread and turn it into a .pdf and sell it on my website... watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back