#1 DJ Software?

Great thread.

I actually just started another one with a similar topic.

I have all of the proper equipment to spin on. Everything is hooked up to my pc via Soundblaster card with a Live Drive so I can record. I use Cool Edit 1.2 for live recordings. I'm comfortable with it but when it comes to making studio mixes it's much too time consuming for my taste.

Now I love to spin live, but I'm looking to get into doing some studio mixes for the fun of it. I really like the idea of crafting a mix that is perfect in every way, and I like the idea of being able to splice elements from previous and upcoming tracks in the mix for a layered effect. I want complete versatility in a software package, meaning I'd like real time manipulation and the ability to use presets for things like EQ'ing.

The only other program I've tried is AcidPro and it just wasn't what I'm looking for. Anyone have any ideas on what may be best for me?

Oh, and Fumbling on E, leave your lofty and negative comments on another forum. Nobody deserves to have their methods or ideas bashed on. Man I left my other board because of people like you. Nonsense. That's just not the way to do things. Nothing is gained by tearing other people down.

Piece.

M

"Now I love to spin live, but I'm looking to get into doing some studio mixes for the fun of it. I really like the idea of crafting a mix that is perfect in every way, and I like the idea of being able to splice elements from previous and upcoming tracks in the mix for a layered effect. I want complete versatility in a software package, meaning I'd like real time manipulation and the ability to use presets for things like EQ'ing. "

chinchilla i can't believe you don't think acid pro is what you're looking for! this is precisely what i use it for and it's perfect. i've tried many things and acid pro is about this best you will find for doing studio mixes. pro 4 gives you everything you need to realise the para quoted above and more. you can even compose your own tracks between the mixes with vsti or loops.

i urge you to try acid pro 4 again because it is the one program that excels in all the areas you've mentioned.

I don't remember which version I tried srg, but the beat mapping on it was goofy to me. I could never get the tracks lined up for some reason. I could get a few frames and then everything would go to s****. I gave after (literally) almost 16 hours of messing with it.

BTW I was working with .wav files of tracks that I recorded straight off of my decks. Maybe it works better with .mp3's of tracks that have consistent bpms, but as everyone knows with vinyl you have to sometimes make tiny adjustments. I'm sure there's a way to tweek the files in Acid, but I just didn't know how at the time.

Perhaps I wasn't utilizing the right aspects of the software. Hmmm....

M

chinchilla: never tried beatmatching a track in acid that was recorded from vinyl but if this was the problem you were encountering then you'll probably have the same problem whatever software u use.

the beatmatcher in acid is extremely accurate, if u take the time to adjust every measure (which is actually a surprisingly quick job-- as most measures can be verified visually) you shouldn't have any probs keeping things perfectly in sync. if you are loosing sync within single measures then you can use the track properties window to refine the beatmatch even further.

even with direct cd rips it's common to have to adjust the beatmatch at a few points to keep latter portions of the track lined up to the beat.

Hope this helps mate and maybe convinces u to give acid pro another try

traktor 2 is still the best by far, for me anyways, i tried pcdj fx, it phucking sux :(

pcdj fx does suck!!

visualdiscomix pro is the best deal... new network support.. mix on Lan:)

how are u supposed these cool dj softwares if mp3's are illegal for broadcasting professionally? if you were supposed to do a gig and u carry a laptop with u also u can't possibly play other songs other than the ones you've produced am i right? or is there a 'legal' way to play mp3's that belongs to a record company? get me????

FX

Hey,
I've been beta testing the next release of FX and it's much better then the first couple updates, a huge improvement, and with more functionality then the competition, and a better master tempo. Once they have it as stable as the red software is, this will be by far the best on the market.

and how the hell are any of you trying our FX? They don't even have a demo of it for download? You can't possibly be reporting on a crack could you? Everyone knows that cracks cause issues....plus the only one's i've seen out there are for the first release, already history...

PCDJ RED has one of the best BPM extaction processes on the market, and will extract the BPM to the thousandth of the beat. Once you have the BPMs for your tracks, just hit the match button on either side...and there ya go, you are synced.....it works almost to well, and much more trustworthy then a one button "automix" feature of sorts. for most any track, you don't even have to bend with REd to keep them synced up....if you do, it's very few and far between times.

Anyhow, I would hate it if the software did it all for you....where is the skill and fun in that? PCDJ already makes it way to easy in my opinion....

Re: FX

How do their versions go? .1010?

Caracticus_1 said:
Hey,
I've been beta testing the next release of FX and it's much better then the first couple updates, a huge improvement, and with more functionality then the competition, and a better master tempo. Once they have it as stable as the red software is, this will be by far the best on the market.

those are build numbers. not version numbers,

version 5.3 build 1010 is the current red release, PCDJ FX 6.0 1030 is the current FX version,

I'm researching for a feature overviewing DJ software available for use alongside or instead of the traditional two-deck set-up, so I'm real glad I came across this thread!

One title that, at least I don't think, has been mentioned on this thread is Ableton Live. What does everyone think of this program?

I'd say the most notable difference is that users aren't limited to two tracks when playing music files live... Anyone tried it?

Don't think it handles MP3s though - but should you really be using that format anyway, considering sound quality etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back