You've all been here...

Casbeatz

Producer/Engineer
I am a newbie producer, who wants to become a newbie DJ. My budget is around 500 for everything involved. I will be doing all of this at home(for now), in my studio. Plan on getting Traktor Pro as my software, but other than that, What all do I need?

I do have Maschine, already, fyi

Obviously, I would want to take this mobile if need be. I currently have a presonus audiobox usb that i have a mic, and a pair of monitors hooked up to. So I wasn't sure if I needed a soundcard for the dj controller or not.

So basically what I'm asking is, what do I need to get everything working at home? Can I just plug a controller in via usb, and that's it? Or, is there more involved? And if i already have my presonus hooked up, will connecting the dj controller via usb allow me to get sound through the monitors? Or do i need to hook the monitors directly to the dj controller?

Lol, this stuff is confusing...

---------- Post added 10-25-2011 at 05:29 AM ---------- Previous post was 10-23-2011 at 08:41 PM ----------

Ended up ordering a Numark Mixtrack, non-pro version. Already have a presonus audiobox, so there was no need for another sound card. No thanks to any of you 65 people who viewed this post and didn't bother to comment on it...

Last edited:
Wow, I hadnt even been online since you initially posted. And a lot of those views would not have been from registered members. I looked at the Mixtrack but decided against it - let us know how it is.

Numark Mixtrack is a toy I definitely would not have suggested that. depends on how serious you want to be as a DJ. but to learn and develop the skill it aint going to happen on the Numark Mixtrack. Sorry I wish I seen your post earlier.

Hey fellas, yeah, went with the mixtrack mainly because of the price. I just recently got Traktor Scratch Pro 2, and wanted a simple controller to use. For a hundred bucks, I can't really ask for much lol

I wouldn't say the mixtrack is definitely a toy, I've posted some mixes online that were done on my Mixtrack through Serato and didn't tell anybody what I used. I got a lot of great compliments about the mix.

At the end of the day, it's all about the person and not the tool. You have to use your creativity. You're like me, I have a small budget and can't just go all out buying DJ equipment. It's just not fiscally smart in the times we're living in. The mixtrack paired with Serato DJ Intro can definitely help you learn the basics of beatmatching, learning transitioning in and out of songs, the keys of songs and blending them together, EQ, effects, you don't need to deck out a lot of money to LEARN the basics. But I do want to move to Serato with time coded vinyl. I myself am obsessed with Vinyl and to be able to do that and DJ all the time with it is something I see myself doing a lot. But I just can't now. But I don't see a problem using something like the Mixtrack to teach you the basics.

mixers dont really matter when your learning how to mix...if your learning scratching thats a different story. I literally joined the forum today. if I saw this post before you bought your stuff I would've said to buy Ni kontrol s4 or s2. Its everything you need. sometimes you gotta pay dues before getting the right equipment. I started with a gemini 2 channel piece of shi* now I got a rane ttm 57sl. It will be a great story for you some day!

Last edited:
You should have gone for NI Kontrol S2 or S4 :D But i guess it all depends ;)

I love my S4 i wouldn't change it for any other controller

Last edited:
so...we can post questions here?if yes..i have one
hoe to see my post becouse it say i can't acces my post's but i don't have any email soo how to see my posts?

patience....

you should have just saved up a little more money than that.... mixtrack how you say is poop. a little more patience and you would have a better setup. the mixtrack isnt worth the money and especially if you plan on going mobile... best bet find some cheap direct drive tables, serato, a mixer, and ur good to go. well worth the wait and saves you the stress of having a crappy midi controller with not so great scratching capabilities even with the traktor pro

Back