Your opinion on Samplers - Advantages of having a sampler with a DAW?

9mmBass

Hey FP,

What are the advantages of having a Sampler like the Akai MPC 1000 when I have a DAW such as Logic Pro 9?

Does it make your life a lot easier?
Does it integrate nicely with Logic?
Is there a steep learning curve?
Does it allow you to be more creative when breaking up samples?

Someone PLEASE convince me why I should look into purchasing a sampler - If you can provide a list of ADVs then I would be very grateful :)

Thanks

If you need someone to convince you then you really don't need convincing stick with what works for you. its different for everyone.

for instance
does it make life easier? for some yes for others no
Is there a steep learning curve? for some yes for others no
Does it allow you to be more creative when breaking up samples? for some yes for others no.
Does it integrate nicely with Logic? I don't use Logic so I cant comment but that is a valid question.

Yeh good point.

Well im new to logic really and just starting breaking up samples and assigning them to my keys on the midi keyboard. Because its new to me i still dont know how i feel about it.

I hear so much about Samplers and i have come to believe that its an essential piece of kit for any producer but thanks fot the heads up - it makes sense that there are no definitive answers for everyone.

I didn't mean to come off cocky I hope I didn't. its just one of those things you need to try out and see if it helps you at all. I went from the MPC and all types of hardware to recently going to Ni Maschine and Its the best move I ever made. It has streamlined my process big time.

No I know what your saying. I have also been looking into the NI Maschine and I hear that its easier to use with a DAW such as Logic whereas often MPC users tend to spend less time on their DAW and more time on MPC.

Its a tough one for me - but Christmas is coming up soon so I think i'm going to have to treat myself - just dont know what to yet :D

No I know what your saying. I have also been looking into the NI Maschine and I hear that its easier to use with a DAW such as Logic whereas often MPC users tend to spend less time on their DAW and more time on MPC.

Its a tough one for me - but Christmas is coming up soon so I think i'm going to have to treat myself - just dont know what to yet :D

I hear you and you need that instant gratification with your Christmas gift to yourself. I love maschine and I don't use it with any DAW except if I need to track out a beat I'm selling then i do so with reaper. but it can all be done within maschine and it also runs vst's. I'm an old school hardware head but I was slowly finding myself using the MPC as a midi controller more and more and triggering from the PC therefore maschine made perfect sense to me the best of both worlds.

I think if you work with both you can maximize your thoughts...MPC are user friendly and yopur DAW can turn the sample into gold!!!

does it make life easier? for some yes for others no
Is there a steep learning curve? for some yes for others no
Does it allow you to be more creative when breaking up samples? for some yes for others no.
Best answer..

I was slowly finding myself using the MPC as a midi controller more and more and triggering from the PC
I still cain't even figure out how to, but I'd prolly kill myself if I did..

Does it make your life a lot easier? Yes,.. yes it does.
Does it integrate nicely with Logic? Idk, cause I use my 1000 with FL9.
Is there a steep learning curve? Not really, but I knew FL beforehand.
Does it allow you to be more creative when breaking up samples? Yes, which is what I love the most about it.

Can i mix my drums seperately with the Mashine?

Like put it through different mixerslots in Fruity Loops?

Ok I'm being swayed more towards the MPC at the moment due to the fact that you don't have to rely on a Laptop to use it. I like the portability option - It means i can sit in another room away from the Mac and i guess this means less distractions.

But would i be missing out on the Maschine sample library? Is there any reason why I should consider the Maschine over MPC.
I know its a stupid question and its down to personal preference and everybody works differently but its 500 pounds & I need some more opinions.

Ok I'm being swayed more towards the MPC at the moment due to the fact that you don't have to rely on a Laptop to use it. I like the portability option - It means i can sit in another room away from the Mac and i guess this means less distractions.

But would i be missing out on the Maschine sample library? Is there any reason why I should consider the Maschine over MPC.
I know its a stupid question and its down to personal preference and everybody works differently but its 500 pounds & I need some more opinions.
Maschine is way faster to work with, especially when chopping and you always have access to all of your sounds at all times. And for integrating with other software, nothing else is as smooth and effortless. Also, you can just keep the Maschine sequencer running the whole time as you make edits and adjust parameters, unlike MPCs. With MPCs you'll be wasting a lot of time waiting to load samples and having to track out all the time. It all comes down to individual preferences and needs but to me there's just no comparison. Ain't no way in he'll I'm going back to MPCs.

Back