Your favourite Sequencer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
emagic logic

there's nothing better once you've tried it, know how it works, etc.

Also, in my experience often used in other studios, so no need to convert your stuff

I have cakewalk somwhere, and I wish I could find it. I have soooooooo much stuff... me and my girlfriend have sooooo much stuff. She's a prophotographer with more equiptment then her darkroom can hold, and I have way too many passions that are quite "stuff" orientd. I still have boxes that I haven't unpacked from the 3 moves to different, bigger appartments and houses. ***HEY! Maybe I should try looking in those boxes!***
My friend has a sweeet yamaha sequencer I'm quite jealous of. Other then that, are there any hardware sequencers that any of you can recomend? Thanks.

cubase 2.8

cubase 2.8, solid as a rock, runs soundfonts and sequences soft synths such as simsynth without any latency whatsover!! also run my brand spanking new JP8000 with it :)

QY-70! All the waaay!

Well, it's a cool little portable silver guy for live stuff in conjunction with a nord and a3000.
@ home, i like to use cubase5 on a g4. Although i still have great results with pro tools linked thru the digi001.
but sometimes i do rad cubase sequencing using the nord and the softsynth 'waldorf ppg', run it thru a Digitech talker and/or Korg kaoss pad, and sample sections into my A3000. Then switch over to protools, open a session and set the tempo at whatever it was, and sequencetrigger sampled sections, putting them thru filters and fx in the a3000 whilst doing additional filtering on the mackie mixing board. then record the result onto disk on pro tools.

But the QY-70 rocks in pattern mode. HOT for live work in conjunction with mixing cds in there too.

I noticed that Yamaha just released the QY100 not too long ago. I owned a QY70 for a while, and i really thought it was an excellent sequencer. Basically the new QY100 looks just like the older QY70. Does anyone own or have used the QY100? I have heard that the only new features are a smart media card slot and a foot switch jack, woopie doo. However, i guess they added quite a bit of new and more current phrases, ones that you can actually use in your mix and not feel like a b*tch. Plus, they added a new digital effects processor. I dont know, i think Yamaha should of made it dramatically better than the QY70.

Cubase....from the very BEGINNING
I first learn to use it in School of Audio Engineering (SAE). Till today, I think Cubase is really all that! hehe

Akira -I Do It LIVE-
http://www.nexdna.com

yeah Gol the Qy-70 is FANTASTIC for live work. i listened to the preset phrases, and left them alone. left the song mode alone too. Just used the pattern mode - it was/is awesome. but cubase 5 rocks and so does pro tools (clean simplicity). I'm repeating myself so better go now:)

PS the smart media card would be a handy addition, but dropping sysex dumps onto a midi track on a computer's sequencer seems to be enough. But i really like little pci type cards and stuff. They're ginchy.

i love the in built one in my quasimidi raven, but it can't sequence imported sounds, so it's got to be cubase, the tech's of all sequencers (and don't start posting responses about how much better the vestax pdx2000 are, coz better thogh they may be, if they ain't tech's, i don't want to know).:D

Cubase

I use Cubase but I don't exactly think the world of it. :)

Check out my new thread ''Cubase = sluggish". Basically I think it's a bit shoddy in lots of ways. I'd be interested to hear how other sequencers compare with it, with respect to my criticisms.

For 300 quid I expect a program to be solid as a rock, powerful, intuitive to use, and run like sh!t off a shovel.

Sorry, forgot to mention.
I think I've got version 3.7 (I bought 3.55 and later downloaded an upgrade). Or it might be 3.65

well cubase kicks ***, any anyone who thinks otherwise can **** off:D

that's something i love about the hardware sequencers, they have really nice timing (well, the qy70 does :)). i got the qy70 cos i didn't understand why cubase didnt feel right, and it was a timing issue. but that was back on a 66mhz mac, now im on a g4, pro tools midi timing seems to be very good in conjunction with the digi001.
it's all so personal, gotta have just a really clean interface whatever u choose i reckon.

my chi gung buddy said to me that he feels the most important thing is to have an open path between the creative energy within you and the method of distilling and recording that energy (ie - digital waveform on a hard disk then placed on a CD).:cool:

regarding cubase, i think version 5 is pretty cool. :>

i got cubase vst and a pretty high spec pc, and it kicks ***, however for doing my school music homwork, i also have an old atari st 1400, with cubase lite, and i still love it!:)

Have a rm1x and really like it :D :D

Any tips for the next thing to buy for a newbie drum and base / techno producer ?

Cubase VST/32 5.0

That program is just too damn good, and the plug-ins just keep adding extra punch to it.

I use Cakewalk Pro Audio 8 and Reason...

I have found (maybe I am in the wrong places) it easier to find plug-ins for Cakewalk (DIrectX) than Cubase (VST). I think both programs are excellent but Cakewalk is more stable on PC and takes advantage of Windows better than Cubase. If you are on a MAC disregard this point because Cakewalk is PC only. I would recommend Cakewalk over Cubase any day.

I have added Reason about a month ago and would recommend that as well. It has been very stable and the sounds alone are worth the price and companies add downloadable Refills which you can add for free. Most of the sounds are amazing. I have spent two weeks making Reason sound very close to my real drums and that alone is GOLD because I left them in Canada. (I am doing Flash work in Germany now)

If you are new pick up Reason for sure.....

One last thing though.....Cakewalk is destructive editing if you need to do audio while Cubase is nondestructive. Very important if you are doing audio and MIDI!

Logic 4.6 with a Unitor midi interface.

But I'm anxious to try the new Pro Tools midi sequencing as well...

tha jizzer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back