"You cant use a controller for a show it looks bad"

Why do I keep hearing this?

As if using a software controller is looked down upon...

Does anyone actually have any experience with getting shit for using a controller for a gig? Ive never seen it

Use whatever the hell you want so far as im concerned, if you are good and the crown likes it who cares?

I find it quite retarded to say something like that. Can't understand WHAT you are using would matter. As long as you delivers, who cares...

It's looked down upon because there's a lot of bad DJs who use them, more than DJs who use turntables, because they're cheaper and easier for people to get who are less serious about the artform.

It's more experienced DJs who look down upon it, because there's so many people jumping in and saying they're DJs after 2 months and taking gigs from people who have been honing their skills for years. It's not because the controller DJs are better, it's because they will do gigs for $50 a night, or do gigs for exposure. There's also a lot more people who call themselves DJs that really could care less about DJing, and don't know anything about the history, culture, art, etc... it should be pretty understandable why there's a stigma attached to it.

It's not that you can't be a good DJ with a controller under any circumstances. There are lots of people who use them who are good, and do innovative things with them, it's just rare. There are many cases when using a controller is completely sufficient and the best choice for you, but there are a lot of times when it's not sufficient at all, yet people use them because they're cheap and they don't care about being good at DJing. I'd say if you're playing house, electro, techno, trance, etc, a controller might be completely fine. If you're playing dubstep, or DnB, it depends what you're doing and what your style is, you might benefit from using something with more control. If you're spinning hip-hop, funk, breaks a controller won't suffice to be considered a good DJ. It all depends on your goals, and where you wanna go with it.

It depends where and what you are DJ'ing you have allot of turntable only. And the software makes it cheaper and allot easier for not great DJ's involved

Some great dj's and producers use controllers, i.e. Porter Robinson uses a Traktor Kontrol S4 for his live sets. Its probably from DJ's who are pissed they spent $1,000's on their equipment back in the day and now they have technology to run all that from a laptop. I'm sure vinyl DJ's said the same thing when CDJ units came onto the market and so on. I say use whatever suites you best and screw all this equipment bashing, in the end its about the music you produce.

im a dubstep producer and i call myself a dj...not because i actually get out and do that but because im a turntablist...dj = disc jockey, someone who operates disc machines, so someone that only scratches is qualified to be called a dj..idk thats my opinion...and my turntables are cdjs with an ipod dock, they also work as a controller, or can usb in music from a usb drive or laptops....doent matter what type of media you use

Last edited:
Why do I keep hearing this?

As if using a software controller is looked down upon...

Does anyone actually have any experience with getting shit for using a controller for a gig? Ive never seen it

Use whatever the hell you want so far as im concerned, if you are good and the crown likes it who cares?

I was one of the first DJs who played CDJs in major clubs in the Oakland Bay Area. I rocked parties, but some promoters would not hire me because I didn't spin Vinyl anymore. It's not the audience that's the issue. It's the people who pay you!

I was one of the first DJs who played CDJs in major clubs in the Oakland Bay Area. I rocked parties, but some promoters would not hire me because I didn't spin Vinyl anymore. It's not the audience that's the issue. It's the people who pay you!

Can't believe anyone would actually be that bigoted? As long as you wow a crowd why would they have a problem with it?

Knowing a few Djs myself, i think some of them have this attitude, and i dont think its to do with the Controller itself, its more the "Sync" button. As someone stated above, people go buy controllers, hit the "Sync" button and hey presot "IM A DJ !!!" ..... From what i gather, learn to beatmatch proper and stay away from the Sync stuff and usually your are accepted more in the Dj Community so to say .... IMO who cares what is used, if your rocking a crowd and everyones had a good time, it doesnt matter if you used Vinyl, CDJs, Controllers, Potatoes, Carrots, Chopsticks, or whatever ... You get the drift ....

Don't get caught up in all of that crap. The only thing that matters is that the crowd enjoys the show. Worrying about what another DJ says or worrying about what another DJ isn't important.

Neokinetik nailed it on the head, I've been djing for over 12 yrs , I have no issues with controllers, It's new technology and we have to evolve with it. I had my days of carrying crates and crates of vinyl to my gigs..I welcome the S4 with open arms...makes my life easier and if anyone has a problem with it I'll let the skills speak for themselves.

Back