You Can't Handle the Truth

Here is how you avoid all this. Don't rely on someone else for success, and make yourself valuable on your own.

This can be applied to any industry.

Exploitation can be avoided but it happens to everyone in the industry. From the Black male aspect of it Hip Hop is symptomatic of but not sympathetic to, larger societal forces at hand and it grates my nerves when Black intellectuals make a case for the content of the music with an emphasis on societal context but don't address that poverty isn't nor should it be the reason for negative content in Hip Hop which relates to exploitation.

Exploitation can be avoided but it happens to everyone in the industry. From the Black male aspect of it Hip Hop is symptomatic of but not sympathetic to, larger societal forces at hand and it grates my nerves when Black intellectuals make a case for the content of the music with an emphasis on societal context but don't address that poverty isn't nor should it be the reason for negative content in Hip Hop which relates to exploitation.

Props to Boombapdame for pointing out this site and article to me.

I agree to an extent, Comback Kid, but it's hard when the only music they play on the radio is trap trash. So, youth with extremely limited options and education are taught this is the way to success.

Look at the current generation. We were taught that in order to be successful you need a college degree. Now, many of us are in debt for life through skyrocketing tuition costs and ridiculous student loan interest rates. So, you'red daymed if you do and daymed if you don't - that's the way the system is set up to keep you under their power. If you were in power would you not find ways to continue making money while doing less work?

I've expressed many of the same points, however Executives like Diddy and Suge have exploited many Black men themselves. Exploitation goes deeper than skin color.It's still about money and greed. That's how Don King lured Mike Tyson with his pro Black agenda sales pitch then robbed him blind. Why didn't he speak on Bobby Shmurda's & Chief Keef's bad decision making and irresponsible behavior. I'm pro Black and take pride in being in the field(lol). However we must be responsible for our actions and stop blaming others.

Last edited:
what do you mean? "poverty isn't nor should it be the reason for negative content in Hip Hop which relates to exploitation?" please elaborate

Props to Boombapdame for pointing out this site and article to me.

I agree to an extent, Comback Kid, but it's hard when the only music they play on the radio is trap trash. So, youth with extremely limited options and education are taught this is the way to success.

Look at the current generation. We were taught that in order to be successful you need a college degree. Now, many of us are in debt for life through skyrocketing tuition costs and ridiculous student loan interest rates. So, you'red daymed if you do and daymed if you don't - that's the way the system is set up to keep you under their power. If you were in power would you not find ways to continue making money while doing less work?

College Loans are an investment in your future. If you start a business an investment is still needed. At least college allows you to the opportunity to control your own destiny by investing in yourself rather than being dependent on outside investors. There are no guarantees in life. At least a degree stays with you for life unlike a failed business opportunity and it's a good backup tool to have. It gives you flexibility and options. I realize I need to further my education myself if I want to significantly increase my income. Deciding what field I want to pursue is the hard part. Unless you have family connections like The Bush family, education is usually the ticket to success & wealth for average hard working middle class Americans.

Last edited:
College Loans are an investment in your future. If you start a business an investment is still needed. At least college allows you to the opportunity to control your own destiny by investing in yourself rather than being dependent on outside investors. There are no guarantees in life. At least a degree stays with you for life unlike a failed business opportunity and it's a good backup tool to have. It gives you flexibility and options. I realize I need to further my education myself if I want to significantly increase my income. Deciding what field I want to pursue is the hard part. Unless you have family connections like The Bush family, education is usually the ticket to success & wealth for average hard working middle class Americans.

What about all of the people who are "overqualified" for so many positions? My old neighbor got her MBA and in the middle of the recession could not get a job anywhere for a year and a half because she was either "overqualified" or had no experience.

And are college loans really an investment in your future? How about getting a 2 year certificate from a community college? How about just getting experience from a job and working your way up? Isn't signing a 360 deal with a major label also an investment in your future? Just playing devils advocate in this post.

what do you mean? "poverty isn't nor should it be the reason for negative content in Hip Hop which relates to exploitation?" please elaborate

Do your research and depending on the type of listener you are, think about all the talking heads in Hip Hop under the guise of intellectuals who make blanket statements for what's said and portrayed in Hip Hop as if those images aren't destructive but merely entertainment when the reality is there are people who don't know how to separate fantasy from reality and find themselves caught up in some negativity that has been indoctrinated by repetitive listening to lyrics.

Back