Yes, an ASR 10 works with Reason, like an mpc (vid inside)

3D Beats

3rdstop.com
People keep asking me, yes, it does work. The ASR has too many midi options, so, 2 big things.....Transmit on BASE CHAN, assign your midi channels.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/DMWrSCEQetY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/DMWrSCEQetY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Who thought otherwise? One sends and receives midi, the other just receives midi, where was the mystery? Don't mean to sound like a smartazz, i was just sayin the asr is a midi sequencer, and reason receives midi, so it should have been obvious that you can use the 2 together, or with anything that sends midi for that matter.
LevLove

Last edited:
LevLover said:
Who thought otherwise? One sends and receives midi, the other just receives midi, where was the mystery? Don't mean to sound like a smartazz, i was just sayin the asr is a midi sequencer, and reason receives midi, so it should have been obvious that you can use the 2 together, or with anything that sends midi for that matter.
LevLove
I know what you are saying. Honestly though, the asr 10 has WAY to many midi modes so if you arn't used to something that old, it has things you need to figure out.

I say "can you use an asr 10 with reason...obviously". My point is to show how, that's it, no more, no less in this video.

I'm only trying to point out the specific settings on the asr 10 :)

3D Beats said:
I know what you are saying. Honestly though, the asr 10 has WAY to many midi modes so if you arn't used to something that old, it has things you need to figure out.

I say "can you use an asr 10 with reason...obviously". My point is to show how, that's it, no more, no less in this video.

I'm only trying to point out the specific settings on the asr 10 :)
the midi on the asr isnt that complex to where people cant figure it out lol. its just like sequencing any other external piece from an ensoniq board. go to the midi page and select midi or seq depending on your device. i sequence reason from my esq-1 all of the time. i wish i would have figured out how to do that when i had my EPS lol

3D Beats said:
People keep asking me, yes, it does work. The ASR has too many midi options, so, 2 big things.....Transmit on BASE CHAN, assign your midi channels.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/DMWrSCEQetY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/DMWrSCEQetY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

finally some damn asr10 vids

I didn't see responses in my e-mail, i don't check my threads otherwise. First, I don't know my asr like i knew my mpc. It just has alot of things that i personally feel are not exactly necessary. For example, in the vid, when you assign a midi track, i don't see why you would still want a standard base channel. But, i know it is old.

I have to say, i'm really kind of mixed with putting these vids up. I admit candidly that it's a basic look at what you can do. I don't know it as well as other equipment i own. At the same time, i remember right after i bought it seeing more than a few threads saying that the ASR 10 is a much better way to go than an mpc. It took me accouple hours to learn an mpc, maybe a week to be able to do exactly what i want. The asr 10, even after using 2 other hardware samplers in my own studio, much less in other environments, it's not as easy, or plain easy.

I get alot of mixed responses in the videos i have posted compared to non-ASR videos. There are alot of people who know more than me who are willing to tell me. That's cool. However, there are like 2 other videos on youtube that show an asr being used for hip hop where the use of it is actually explained. So honestly, i'm iffy on posting more vids i get the "that's basic" knowledge alot.

The only reason why i make these is to show people where i stuggled at first. I hope some of you more in tune with ensoniq samplers can understand that. Honestly, if you make a better video, i'll take mine down, i don't have some "youtube" pride, i just want to show how i use it. I don't want to sound like i'm bitching, moaning, complaining. I just know some people really want these vids. I won't ever do an mpc video because it's all out on the table. ASR, not really.

I guess my point is, please realize i'm just trying to show what you can do in 45 min after you have started to learn the machine (you can see me stumble because it's not main machine). This is all wierd to me because i've had my most postive and negative responses to these particular videos.

Sorry for that long post, I just had to get that off my chest. I'd love for there to be much more vids on this, again, not a pride thing at all. I'm not the "asr" dude, i just happen to have one and love the thing, and hate it.

3D Beats said:
I didn't see responses in my e-mail, i don't check my threads otherwise. First, I don't know my asr like i knew my mpc. It just has alot of things that i personally feel are not exactly necessary. For example, in the vid, when you assign a midi track, i don't see why you would still want a standard base channel. But, i know it is old.

I have to say, i'm really kind of mixed with putting these vids up. I admit candidly that it's a basic look at what you can do. I don't know it as well as other equipment i own. At the same time, i remember right after i bought it seeing more than a few threads saying that the ASR 10 is a much better way to go than an mpc. It took me accouple hours to learn an mpc, maybe a week to be able to do exactly what i want. The asr 10, even after using 2 other hardware samplers in my own studio, much less in other environments, it's not as easy, or plain easy.

I get alot of mixed responses in the videos i have posted compared to non-ASR videos. There are alot of people who know more than me who are willing to tell me. That's cool. However, there are like 2 other videos on youtube that show an asr being used for hip hop where the use of it is actually explained. So honestly, i'm iffy on posting more vids i get the "that's basic" knowledge alot.

The only reason why i make these is to show people where i stuggled at first. I hope some of you more in tune with ensoniq samplers can understand that. Honestly, if you make a better video, i'll take mine down, i don't have some "youtube" pride, i just want to show how i use it. I don't want to sound like i'm bitching, moaning, complaining. I just know some people really want these vids. I won't ever do an mpc video because it's all out on the table. ASR, not really.

I guess my point is, please realize i'm just trying to show what you can do in 45 min after you have started to learn the machine (you can see me stumble because it's not main machine). This is all wierd to me because i've had my most postive and negative responses to these particular videos.

Sorry for that long post, I just had to get that off my chest. I'd love for there to be much more vids on this, again, not a pride thing at all. I'm not the "asr" dude, i just happen to have one and love the thing, and hate it.

I'm trying to figure out triggering my miko with asr 10, missing somethig. Anyone know what i gotta do?

Don't let what anyone says stop you from making these videos. I just got an ASR 10 rack about 3 months ago and all of your videos helped me out so much.
I've seen so many people ask how to pitch shift with the asr and no one could say how to do it until you made that "how to" video. I just want to say thanks for making them.

By the way :), you made a video on tracking out in PT from an ASR, but I am having trouble synching the ASR 10 Rack to Pro Tools. I want to be able to press play on my asr 10 and have it trigger and synch up with the sequencer in Pro Tools.
My Setup: ASR 10 Rack, AXIOM 49, Fast Track Ultra and Pro Tools 7.4.
Can you please help me out with my issue or make a video showing how you got your setup to work?
Thanks

May I also add that using the base channel only allows you to use just that channel and thus control only one instrument and only the one that is highlighted in Reason. Now if you use instrument channel you can have each bank send on a different channel in Reason. For instance you can have bank one control one instrument, and on up so that you have 8 instruments available at the push of a button without having to mouse and click around. You would set each instrument to recieve on a different channel in advanced midi options, and its kinda neat, because the asr would then be a multi channel midi controller in that event. You also have to set it up in multi mode on the ASR as well.

I did that for a while and it works very well!

BTW how much for that asr rack? mildly curious as my asr-10 just had to leave so it could do some studio work on someones new album, but its so big that I think I would rather a smaller controller and a rack.

Last edited:
Back