Working with a Small Budget

Prosthetic

The One-Armed Bastard
My artist and I have decided to build a home studio. Tired of dealing with others. We have a relatively cheap budget to work with for hardware - $500-$700.
Any recommendations on a hardware setup within that budget that'll get the job done? Gracias.

Working with Windows Vista and Sony Acid Pro 7 (his setup)

Last edited:
-Presonus 22VSL interface (This will probably be the last interface you will need to buy unless you want more I/O, the pre-amps in it are from their StudioLive mixers) [$200]
-Blue Bluebird or Baby Bottle [$250-350]
-Monitors KRK 5 [$300] (KRK 6s would be better)
-A pair of closed back Audio Technica Headphones (models start at $50)
-SM Pro Audio Mini Mic thing [$50]
-$50 cables and accessories

This is all assuming you mean just a vocal recording setup.
For production add an M-audio Oxygen [$150]

Prices are rough estimates
I think at the low end the total for the vocal portion is around $900, I know this is out of your budget but those items listed will get you very far. If you're really strict on the budget, substitute the Bluebird for the Blue Spark and neglect the SM Pro Audio mini Mic Thing, and you'll be closer to the 700-750 range.

-Presonus 22VSL interface (This will probably be the last interface you will need to buy unless you want more I/O, the pre-amps in it are from their StudioLive mixers) [$200]
-Blue Bluebird or Baby Bottle [$250-350]
-Monitors KRK 5 [$300] (KRK 6s would be better)
-A pair of closed back Audio Technica Headphones (models start at $50)
-SM Pro Audio Mini Mic thing [$50]
-$50 cables and accessories

This is all assuming you mean just a vocal recording setup.
For production add an M-audio Oxygen [$150]

Prices are rough estimates
I think at the low end the total for the vocal portion is around $900, I know this is out of your budget but those items listed will get you very far. If you're really strict on the budget, substitute the Bluebird for the Blue Spark and neglect the SM Pro Audio mini Mic Thing, and you'll be closer to the 700-750 range.

That sound nice I nice little setup there

m audio av40's £100, friend has them and says they're awesome little monitors
m audio m track interface (unsure on price but i presume it's around the same)
rode mic pack, can't remember the name but it comes with a pop filter etc for around £100.

i'd get something similar to this to start out with. midi keyboards/controllers aren't essential they are optional, if you think you would use one i would recommend a novation impulse 49 for around £230-250, or the 25 key one for a cheaper price but it lacks the faders.

Unless you have a room that you can deaden, it might be better to get a mic more along the lines of an sm58. If you're recording hip-hop it will work very well. If you're recording a singer it won't really be the best choice for a studio mic though.

What exactly are you hoping to achieve with this setup? Recording bands? Single instruments? Vocals? Mixing? Beatmaking?

I'd also like to hear what the "hardware" term means in this context. Are you hoping to achieve an OTB solution rather than using a DAW to mix?

Nice that you are working on a project! Maybe this is not the great answer but I would like to add that all my production so far are without monitors and midi controllers. Just normal speakers and car speakers. For vocal recording, a decent mic would be very important. Like I said, I produce without any extra gear but last week I bought headphones (Sennheiser HD280). I must say that they are really good for the price you pay!

I am saving for monitors that have a good low end (because I produce EDM Trap), but personally I think the KRK's are "hyped" . Once I have worked with the KRK 8's but they were too big for the studio room. They are relatively cheap but I cannot afford it. If you go for the KRK's, I think the 6's are really good. I strongly agree with 7GQ and Krushing.

You can check my thread about my music journey here : https://www.futureproducers.com/for...roducing-journey-journey-edm-producer-473308/

I whish you the best of luck with your project!!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd recommend getting a computer or laptop with a dual core or quad core processor. You can probably get one for under $300. The price will vary depending on hard drize sizes, amount of RAM, desktop or laptop, etc. You can also get an MBox 2 Mini for around $150-$175 online used. You will get a copy of Pro Tools with it, I have a torrent link to Pro Tools 10 HD if you want it, just message me. As for the mic, you can get an Audio Technica AT2020 brand new for around $100-$120.

Last edited:
Back