Will trap music ever die?

The thing about Trap is it isn't hip hop IMO, it's its own genre. What I think Trap is doing now is bridging the gap between singing and rapping. What we'll see happen is many artists out now will fade out in the place of artists who can actually sing since singjaying is now the most preferred form. Dudes with label deals will either get down with a vocal team or lay down. At the end of the day genres never really die as Joey Badass still has a fanbase and he makes revivalist rap. But in terms of the sound's dominance that will die out in the place of a more dancehall infused sound. I have a personal bias towards this as a dancehall artist anyway, but the singjaying done now is based on dancehall, even the sound of more synth heavy trap has dancehall elements to it. We have to remember trap has technically been around since the mid 90s with Gucci, Three 6, and UGK and the sound has evolved. I think it's near it's peak though but another factor is populist intelligence. Trap is dope and I love it but it's dumb music meaning you just go 'dumb' to it. This may prove counter intuitive to the next generation which I believe will be more socially progressive than we are so it will die from a content standpoint more than from a musical one.

I seriously doubt it. Trap is a genre that has so many supporters like look at trap nation for example and the others like bass nation,etc. I don't see any reason why it should die out. Not soon at least.

Youre confusing 'supporters' with 'profiteers'.

It will die out the moment kids' disposable income has to go towards rent instead of molly.

Trap will never die and you trippin if you think otherwise. It's become too big to just stop being a thing, if anything it's only gonna get bigger. You're starting to see it all around the globe with rappers in Korea, U.K., and even the middle east.

I think it'll evolve, just like everything else. The internet makes it so that nothing can truly die now... I can still find a reminiscent of 90's rap online and that's 20 years ago now... All those that are 16-20 right now, Trap is all they truly know... The same way older dudes be like 90's is the "golden era", these kids are gonna say Trap was the "golden era", reminiscing on Gucci, Waka and dare I say, Thugga

I personally don't think trap will ever die. It will fade down a bit, but not die. Too many BIG artists have come out of this scene in recent memory for it to fizzle out so quickly. E.g.: Future, Young Thug, Rich Homie Quan, Migos, etc. And even think of older artists who have been on sounds similar for years, like Gucci Mane and Juicy J

Too many BIG artists have come out of this scene in recent memory for it to fizzle out so quickly. E.g.: Future, Young Thug, Rich Homie Quan, Migos, etc. And even think of older artists who have been on sounds similar for years, like Gucci Mane and Juicy J

They're BIG?

What I love so much about music is that it evolves. No genre will ever really die, everyone appreciates and plays with different techniques. Now that everyone has a computer in their pockets, an artist has a new workstation and even more, there is a huge focus on sharing. To me, the future of music is very exciting. The distinctions between trap and dubstep for instance, all these genre barriers are breaking down. It's a beautiful melting pot to me really, but a mosaic at the same time. Genres will collide and will fade or become something greater. So no I don't think trap music will die but its legacy and elements of it will live on. If you're worried about a decrease in interest then my advice is to push the boundaries. Because there's an evolving music scene, there's an evolving audience. I've felt this pull too as everyone's ears are tuning in to the loudest noise at the time so personally, I've been striving not to accommodate the evolving audience, but to push the limits and experiment so that the audience will evolve to me. It's a complex system, but I hope this post helped anyone who may have concerns about this issue.

- SOLAR

Last edited:
What are these elements that make Trap different than other genres of Hip Hop? This is the thing that confuses me that no one on this site can define.

What exactly is Trap?

Last edited:
Back