Why Hipsters Need To Stop Writing About Hip Hop Culture

We also need to stop giving them credibility by acknowledging them. I.e. Wale's issue with complex. If we put less weight on their opinions it won't matter what they say because they're outsiders. We don't need their validation and we shouldn't hold each other to their standards

We also need to stop giving them credibility by acknowledging them. I.e. Wale's issue with complex. If we put less weight on their opinions it won't matter what they say because they're outsiders. We don't need their validation and we shouldn't hold each other to their standards

I agree. The thing is, if hipsters quit writing about hip hop, who's left to cover the culture?

Man Wale is weak. Complex may have omitted tons of good stuff, but he wasn't one of them.

That's a mediocre artist who's ego is 20x bigger than his talent.

I didn't get ot read the article as the site is blocked at work, but I'll say this. Pay no mind to publications you don't feel value music the same way you do. Simple as that. I usually get my fix from Potholes in my Blog & Egotripland.

There's plenty of people within the culture that can speak from a place of authenticity, we just have to redirect our support towards them. I'm not a huge fan of Wale's music but I heard him say that his angst comes from his sports background. With sports, its more that you get back what you put in. Whereas with music, you can put in lot ofe ffort but still be in the same place like a treadmill. You're sweaty and exhausted, but you're still in the same spot. I can understand thatfrus tration. He's looking to be rewarded proportionate to his skill level and work ethic. And you gotta respect the passion. But complex has always beena life style mag not catered towards his lifestyle, so hed shouldn't put so much weight into their opinion or their cosign

if black people can take hiphop more seriously then they can write about it, but a lot of people period hipster or not choose to listen to mainstream. The hipsters high light the underground as they do in any genre. They are highlighting it now in rap, but this is only because who else will do it? Certainly not anyone from the mainstream. Most people who can vibe to migos acts like lil b is bad when its the same shit but at least lil b tries to be positive. I mean its simple really, but as with many things it take a collective consciousness.

if you compare Lil B to Migos than you don't listen to Migos. Hipsters don't highlight "underground" because there would be a lot of other people receiving praise than the ones that do. I was gonna use Lil B as an example of someone who couldn't climb the ranks through the open mic circuit, mixtape circuit, audition circuit, etc. but gets press by hipster publications because of his shenannigans, and then people who value numbers say, oh he has a buzz and they give him even more attention. Lil B had some funny stuff, but he's not a relevant artist beause the hipsters took a liking to him and boosted his numbers. Just like Iggy getting attention from airplay across every format doesn't make her relevant to the "hip-hop" market, regardless of if she's rapping or not. The point is that when people outside of the "hip-hop" culture profile it ... i.e. Iggy Azalea getting the AMA awards, we shouldn't really care because none of us watch that shit anyway. You probably only heard about it when someone you do pay attention to complained about it online. The judges don't know anything about hip-hop to give her a stamp of approval so we shouldn't give any weight to their opinion. Its like if Taylor Swift won best rapper award at the CMAs ... who gives a shit who the CMAs think is a good rapper? Who are they to say? The problem is we give these platforms views & press, and then impressionable people that look to them, they get a dilluted picture. Let them do what they do over there and keep it over there

Why Hipsters Need to Stop Writing About Hip Hop Culture - RapRehab

Considering how hipsters are those who follow trends outside of pop culture while claiming they don't follow trends and/or pop culture or worse, follow trends then discard them after they become too popular, this is why they shouldn't write about the culture.

I try and ignore them as if they don't exist. The key word is try. Sometimes they force themselves on you or invade your space. They're talentless &non creative which translates into short careers. They'll be doing something else in 5 years anyway because they never had the real passion in the first place. They're flip floppers.

Last edited:
Back