Why Does Music From Major Labels Suck?

Why Does Music from Major Labels Suck? - RapRehab

Dope article and these are some of the realest quotes:

Artistry is an art-form and if you’re heart is not in it, put the pen down and the mic away.

To be quite honest, I wish some of them would just retire, if they can’t put out a project that took time and focus in order to inspire those of us who have remained committed fans throughout the years.

If these artists are so great, why can’t they continue to provide their fans with heartfelt and meaningful music that is a signature of their influence?

This is something I have been saying for quite a while now

Truth be told, if artists and fans don’t pull together to save the industry as a whole, there won’t be anything left in 5 years. And you don’t need me to tell you that. You can do research for yourself to look at the financial sustainability of current sales. The proof is in the ink. Fans don’t want to spend money on music anymore. And its no wonder why, because there’s no sense in wasting money on a product that has no value.

With the caveat that the industry is still trying to maintain it's hold with an outdated business plan and has failed at every turn to keep up with market changes. As an industry controlled by three major labels the record industry is going to die, there is no stopping that, but there will always be musicians and artists making money from music.

and they focus more on appearance rather than actual talent..and they{the powers that be} have certain agendas that they try to push..there is a lot more to it than what appears at the surface..

See, I don't believe "better music" is the real solution. There's great music out there right now - and people still don't want to pay for it.

You can't put the toothpaste back into the tube. Free music is now a way of life. People think, "Artists never made much off album sales anyway, right?" This free ish is super-awesome for way too many people at this point.

How do you convince the world to pay again?

I disagree to some extent. I myself would love to buy records be it Cd or vinyl, especially from 2012 that was a good year for hip hop. You had Alchemist, dj premier, OC. I wish I could purchase them I just have No Cash, or else I would. Im sure a lot of people are in my shoes. The money i just being sucked out of us, its just no music, all types of proffesions are dealing with this.

I disagree to some extent. I myself would love to buy records be it Cd or vinyl, especially from 2012 that was a good year for hip hop. You had Alchemist, dj premier, OC. I wish I could purchase them I just have No Cash, or else I would. Im sure a lot of people are in my shoes. The money i just being sucked out of us, its just no music, all types of proffesions are dealing with this.

All those you named are not "major label" artists although well known and highly respected and also all of those built their names long before 2k12 ;)

people need a reason to buy music...there isnt anybody doing anything new or really standing out...it seems like mainstream music has lost its authenticity..i'm not saying everyone but these cats {most} dont even write there own shit..so where is the pride at?.....different genre but in the late 80s the same thing was happening with rock n roll..and than what happened???..kurt cobain and nirvana dropped "smells like teen spirit" and changed rock n roll forever..that is where hip hop is at right now in my humble opinion..and someone needs to breakthrough in a major way and change the game forever

people need a reason to buy music...there isnt anybody doing anything new or really standing out...it seems like mainstream music has lost its authenticity..i'm not saying everyone but these cats {most} dont even write there own shit..so where is the pride at?.....different genre but in the late 80s the same thing was happening with rock n roll..and than what happened???..kurt cobain and nirvana dropped "smells like teen spirit" and changed rock n roll forever..that is where hip hop is at right now in my humble opinion..and someone needs to breakthrough in a major way and change the game forever

I get the feeling that Killer Mike and EL-P may be on that edge that changes how business is done and handled.

I know they aren't the first to use this model but in regards to hip hop/rap music I think it is showing a lot of people that there is a model to go by but you have to create content worth hearing and the people will not only listen but offer you their money willingly for your product and support your tours as well.

exactly and right now ..{no offense to anyone} but I'm keepin' it real here..the standard for good music dropped dramatically ever since the years when soldier boy, chief keef, riff raff, just to name a few..but lets be completely honest here..people liked them bcuz nobody else was doing anything new..so these certain artists{just to name a few} dropped there stuff and the standard dropped along with it..and as u can tell it reflects in the overall industry itself..there are those select few that have authentic talent now days..but even THEY seem to be limited by their own capacity..who is going to "save" hip hop?..

Creating shitty music is a lot easier than creating good music. And since music sells no matter how bad it sounds as long as the marketing is right the labels would be stupid to push quality over quantity.

thats when the indie label can step in with a better product ..the only problem is funding..so thats where we need to adapt to this new digital era..also the other thing that just str8 up killed the industry ..probably not just hip hop..but music period..is technology...now everyone and there mama is a rapper or a producer..and the game is so saturated..everybody is copying everyone else..its like the inflation of the dollar..the value of hip hop has inflated ..so we need to bring back the gold standard..

Hip Hop doesn't nor should have any saviors as it is a merely a "thing" when viewed in a noun form but while many feel it is a culture the reality is market forces have predicted for two decades the direction of the people within the "culture" via only allowing certain narrow misrepresentation to be popular, but truth is the original founders who, through no fault of their own besides ignorance to business, were among the first to get "screwed" financially by their labels as the industry is neocolonial (think "artist as slave record company as master").

See, I don't believe "better music" is the real solution. There's great music out there right now - and people still don't want to pay for it.

You can't put the toothpaste back into the tube. Free music is now a way of life. People think, "Artists never made much off album sales anyway, right?" This free ish is super-awesome for way too many people at this point.

How do you convince the world to pay again?
This right hear. I rather pay to see u in concert than buy your cd. The only thing I buy on a regular is jazz, because people don't leak cats like Sean Jones and if they do its 6 months after the music came out.
Also, the major label is not the issue. I mean Logic just released a dope album and he's on Def Jam.

Hip Hop doesn't nor should have any saviors as it is a merely a "thing" when viewed in a noun form but while many feel it is a culture the reality is market forces have predicted for two decades the direction of the people within the "culture" via only allowing certain narrow misrepresentation to be popular, but truth is the original founders who, through no fault of their own besides ignorance to business, were among the first to get "screwed" financially by their labels as the industry is neocolonial (think "artist as slave record company as master").

i think i understand what you're saying basically censorship killed hip hop..but many can argue that hip hop was "too real" for its own good..hip hop taught suburban whiteboys {just as an example but not limited to} that its "cool" to live a "thug life" and completely took out of context what tupac really meant..i think the view from the top was the "glamorization of the gangster culture" was getting out of hand...where to some it is a harsh reality and to others its just a social thing.....like smoking cigarretes ..it "looks cool" but it will kill you

Last edited:
This right hear. I rather pay to see u in concert than buy your cd. The only thing I buy on a regular is jazz, because people don't leak cats like Sean Jones and if they do its 6 months after the music came out.
Also, the major label is not the issue. I mean Logic just released a dope album and he's on Def Jam.
Hahaha...I was listening to God's Gift a few minutes ago. I fuccc with Sean. I take it you like Christian Scott?

Hahaha...I was listening to God's Gift a few minutes ago. I fuccc with Sean. I take it you like Christian Scott?
Ha that God's Gift is classic! Of course I roll with Christian, u know he got a new sextet with a a flute player and vocalist (who is fly and his wife). Respect!

Ha that God's Gift is classic! Of course I roll with Christian, u know he got a new sextet with a a flute player and vocalist (who is fly and his wife). Respect!

No, I didn't know that...nice. I got to dig more into his current stuff. I listen mostly to Rewind That and a few cuts off Anthem (Litany Against Fear is my shit).

Back