why do producers use laptops more now? big workstations dying off?

varun213

Why is it that so many major producers are only using Laptops and a basic small 23 keyboard to make music now? I know some are on the road but the ones that are not still go the laptop route. Is that how music is done now going into 2016?

can anybody explain why laptops are used more now in production than ever before? seems as though the bulky big workstations with 88key midi keyboards and huge outboard gear is dying off?

I went from laptops to desktops for different reason, not even close to being a "major" producer but it honestly boils down to what the user intends to use a particular type of machinery for.
Trends will be trends, and one day laptops will probably be the new desktop once they figure out the temperature/power supply's optimal layout.

Then you have these mobile apps on tablets. They might be the future, they actually might get powerful enough, laptops certainly got there already.
I guess it's because of the mobility option that laptops get more mileage, especially since most laptop users are probably Live performers and bringing a desktop would prove ill-fitting for venues.

This is of course, my take on the matter as I am just a sound designer/beatmaker, so this is speculation.

I went from laptops to desktops for different reason, not even close to being a "major" producer but it honestly boils down to what the user intends to use a particular type of machinery for.
Trends will be trends, and one day laptops will probably be the new desktop once they figure out the temperature/power supply's optimal layout.

Then you have these mobile apps on tablets. They might be the future, they actually might get powerful enough, laptops certainly got there already.
I guess it's because of the mobility option that laptops get more mileage, especially since most laptop users are probably Live performers and bringing a desktop would prove ill-fitting for venues.

This is of course, my take on the matter as I am just a sound designer/beatmaker, so this is speculation.

I think you nailed it man, that pretty much sums up what I would expect as well.

Just out of curiosity, noticed your location says LA...how do you like being a beat maker/sound designer? are the opportunities really plentiful out there? Could you give me any input/perspective on being a music producer in the city of angels?

Oh dear lord no lol. I'm a regular person in L.A. Louisiana. As average as can be.
This was a hobby I've picked up back in 2010.

Synthesis basics, mangling samples and noises etc makin simple beats etc.

they are powerful and portable

Yeah.

You can have a whole studio to go with you whenever and wherever. Cheaper to upgrade and manitain than a bigger studio. Every home stuido I ever used back in the day was terrible as compared to what I can do with a laptop today. Why go through all of that old-school and expensive stuff if you can make music and record it at a good level for $1,000?

So there is the explanation. If there are any other questions related to the topic, I don;t know what else to say. It pretty much just makes sense like drinking water when you get thirsty.

Back