Why do my songs sound 2-dimensional?

ThreeOhThree

I'm a n00b producer, using Ableton Live on and off for 9-12 months (lifelong hobbyist DJ). I'm attempting to make (and remix) techno predominantly.

With some online tutition and a little input from two different mates (one an "old fashioned" sound engineer, the other a producer of music for TV/film, I've picked up some of the basics; compression, side-chaining, layering instruments, percussion programming, adding texture, adding depth with reverbs and delay, saturation, distortion, some basic sound design. I don't expect my songs to be great though, not for year, especially as my perfectionism is somewhat holding me back.

Yet my finished arrangements still sound flat. It's not the lack of mastering, even for pre-mastered tracks they seem to be missing that extra level of depth that make the song seem 3D instead of a load of flat samples. My tracks sound more Dance eJay than they do Beatport. What is it I'm overlooking? What is that magic ingredient that takes it from flat and devoid to big and roomy?

Without an example it's really hard to tell

Are you making use of the stereo field/panning? Having some things wide stereo and some things mono might help

Last edited:
Yup, post an example. "Flat" is one of those words that can mean completely different things to different people...

I agree wit bota me mates above ^^^^ Impossible to tell without an example or two, but from your description, the first thing that came to mind (and that you didn't mention in your list?) would be panning (use of the stereo field), followed by volume mixing (panning gives you "side to side," volume of each track/instrument, plus effects like reverb and delay, can give you "back to front" placement).

GJ

panning... reverb...

I do have some trouble making instruments go from far away to playing in your face. I know exactly what you mean by 2d.... anyone have any suggestions on how to make an instrument or vst almost jump at you? it would probably help with catchiness of a song

Back