why do my beats not sound professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrix123

this is my third time asking for feedback no one has responded so far but why don't my beats sound professional any advice on how to make them label presentable. here is my soundcloud SoundCloud Mobile. if the link doesn't work type in dj matrix aka dj aura soundcloud thanks and if anyone views this please leave feedback

Turn your voice tag down for one..that shit loud as hell haha, also mixing is key. listen to other house/rap music (thats what you produce) and see how they mix.. Focus on drops as well.. Some of your beats dont really have melodies to them.. layer sounds. watch tutorials, etc..

For example in your last upload, drums are too quiet.

If you consider your beats too weak, you should ask yourself how do you want them to sound, and work with them - apply EQing for example.

Bro first off big ups for putting yourself out there and saying "look, my sound isn't where I want it to be, how can I get it there". A lot of people could produce way better if they just opened themselves up to criticism, so that's already huge and you'll probably go far with that attitude

To address your question, the big reason why professional ish sounds professional is the mix/master. You can have all the melodic/rhythmic ideas you want, but if you can't mix then your sound is going to be uneven and instruments will stick out in an unpleasant way. Likewise, if you can't master well then your joints are going to be way too quiet to compete with other mixes, or you will sacrifice sound quality for volume, which is NEVER a good thing (Music Theory 101). Like the others above me said, in a lot of your sounds the drums are too weak. I myself am a fan of keeping the drums at a moderate level (sometimes too moderate) but they at least have to be a certain volume in comparison with the melodies, to define the rhythm and really make your ish bumpable. I like the melodies you lay out, but I feel like a lot of them don't really go anywhere...by that I mean there's no real harmonic/chord progression value. Understanding theory and what chords lead to what makes it easy to add direction and flow to your sound, in music you always want to take the listener in a direction, never keep them stagnant

I hope you take these tips with a grain of salt, by no means am I a professional artist and I'm not trying to condescend to you in anyway, just trying to throw some ideas out there at you man, you take them as you will. You got a lot of good ideas, put that work in and you'll like your sound in no time

Much love man and happy producing

Bro first off big ups for putting yourself out there and saying "look, my sound isn't where I want it to be, how can I get it there". A lot of people could produce way better if they just opened themselves up to criticism, so that's already huge and you'll probably go far with that attitude

To address your question, the big reason why professional ish sounds professional is the mix/master. You can have all the melodic/rhythmic ideas you want, but if you can't mix then your sound is going to be uneven and instruments will stick out in an unpleasant way. Likewise, if you can't master well then your joints are going to be way too quiet to compete with other mixes, or you will sacrifice sound quality for volume, which is NEVER a good thing (Music Theory 101). Like the others above me said, in a lot of your sounds the drums are too weak. I myself am a fan of keeping the drums at a moderate level (sometimes too moderate) but they at least have to be a certain volume in comparison with the melodies, to define the rhythm and really make your ish bumpable. I like the melodies you lay out, but I feel like a lot of them don't really go anywhere...by that I mean there's no real harmonic/chord progression value. Understanding theory and what chords lead to what makes it easy to add direction and flow to your sound, in music you always want to take the listener in a direction, never keep them stagnant

I hope you take these tips with a grain of salt, by no means am I a professional artist and I'm not trying to condescend to you in anyway, just trying to throw some ideas out there at you man, you take them as you will. You got a lot of good ideas, put that work in and you'll like your sound in no time

Much love man and happy producing

Awesome Tips...

Matrix: interesting that you asked for feedback three times and no one reached out. Glad we could help in some way keep workin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back