why do most rappers talk about shallow things

JARAMILLO

its an issue that ive been questioning myself since at this day and age rappers seem to talk about shallow things about how many ******* they can have in 1 go and different ways to **** them and then theres the whole bling bling and how much i earn and im greater than most.Theres alot of better artists out there that dont do that but if they did could prove themselfs twice as better as eny rapper, but thats not my argument, i want to know the truth about why rappers do this, now im sure people will say because they had a bad child hood and now that they have it all they can talk about these things, but ray charles grew up in a very poor environment he also had just as bad bringing up plus he became blind!, but he still learned to play a piano and do music that didnt just require a beat with a scale on top, he made great music like everyone knows and didnt talk about girls beeing ******* or treating them like dogs plus he didnt brag so now what excusses do rappers have when ray charles did it with no eye site!.

i do make my music, so ure saying i cant talk about these things alot of people do and wanna try and change things but part of it is to not just make the music but understand what ure making buy comunitcating with other musicians to to understand further things which is what im doing so whats wrong with that?.

JARAMILLO said:
its an issue that ive been questioning myself since at this day and age rappers seem to talk about shallow things about how many ******* they can have in 1 go and different ways to **** them and then theres the whole bling bling and how much i earn and im greater than most.Theres alot of better artists out there that dont do that but if they did could prove themselfs twice as better as eny rapper, but thats not my argument, i want to know the truth about why rappers do this, now im sure people will say because they had a bad child hood and now that they have it all they can talk about these things, but ray charles grew up in a very poor environment he also had just as bad bringing up plus he became blind!, but he still learned to play a piano and do music that didnt just require a beat with a scale on top, he made great music like everyone knows and didnt talk about girls beeing ******* or treating them like dogs plus he didnt brag so now what excusses do rappers have when ray charles did it with no eye site!.
The original purpose of the MC was to talk about how good the DJ was and to hype up the crowd. I remember watching "Beef" i think and it showed Busy Bee talking about "bustin' a nut", so in one way or another rap allways include dumb stuff but I think that it all comes down to the fact that the music is a major part of the industry now and people (i'm not sure who) created ideas of what constitues real rap and marketable rap based off of the people who just happened to become big, Biggy, Jay Z, NWA & Dre and others. They were just making music without projected sales charts but they touched on the zeitgeist of the times and became huge. Now most rap is just a shallow and half ass interpretation of that stuff because some old white guy behind a desk determines what he think the people want and the music doesn't develop organically like it did 10 or 15 years ago.

Last edited:
There are MCs who get people excited (Fatman Scoop), tell stories (Common) and those who rap for people to dance (Lil Jon) this is the basic ideas but they have always talked about shallow stuff.

Because they're insecure and want to make sure everyone knows they got it all. All these material things along with fame and all that stuff is what most of you ppl want but its sad if you talk about it. Talking about this shyte is telling ppl how shallow and ignorant you are. This is one of the reasons i know most hip hop 'artists' are not artists at all. True artists usually don't care about material things; most don't care about what they're wearing, not to mention their hair. They don't even shave. They probably wash but whereas hygiene is a necessity, cars and all that shyte are redundant and ephemeral; they're just extensions of the phallus. A real man; a real tough guy doesn't need this to prove he's a man. In fact he doesn't feel the need to prove he's a man because he ain't insecure. A real tough guy won't pull a gun on anybody, he'll just kick their ass. Guns are for p*ssies. Anyways Jaramillo, stop provoking these ppl... ever read about Don Quixote and the windmills?...........

Lehoo said:
Because they're insecure and want to make sure everyone knows they got it all. All these material things along with fame and all that stuff is what most of you ppl want but its sad if you talk about it. Talking about this shyte is telling ppl how shallow and ignorant you are. This is one of the reasons i know most hip hop 'artists' are not artists at all. True artists usually don't care about material things; most don't care about what they're wearing, not to mention their hair. They don't even shave. They probably wash but whereas hygiene is a necessity, cars and all that shyte are redundant and ephemeral; they're just extensions of the phallus. A real man; a real tough guy doesn't need this to prove he's a man. In fact he doesn't feel the need to prove he's a man because he ain't insecure. A real tough guy won't pull a gun on anybody, he'll just kick their ass. Guns are for p*ssies. Anyways Jaramillo, stop provoking these ppl... ever read about Don Quixote and the windmills?...........

nup, but i know what your saying, i do threads because i like to find what people's reactions are to it, to many im sure it might not make them happy since they might actually follow those things i argue upon. But i dont mind if its bad comments or good comments my interested is to find out what people think about it.

cus they dont care. they would be hypocrits to rap about "oh the world is a sad place" "oh little kids are dying of hunger" etc .. because people would be expecting them to do somethin about it, these dudes dont got time to help people , they got money to make

my personal favorite "shallow rapper" comment came from TI, i believe it was on "cribs" or something:

"i stay fly at all costs"

.....what does that even mean??

2nice said:
my personal favorite "shallow rapper" comment came from TI, i believe it was on "cribs" or something:

"i stay fly at all costs"

.....what does that even mean??

i thought it was pretty self explainitory

Means he stays looking good (materialistic) at all cost. Meaning doesn't matter how much it cost/what he has to go through to get what he wants.

JARAMILLO said:
i do make my music, so ure saying i cant talk about these things alot of people do and wanna try and change things but part of it is to not just make the music but understand what ure making buy comunitcating with other musicians to to understand further things which is what im doing so whats wrong with that?.

I didn't say what you could or couldn't talk about it. Didn't say anything was wrong with it. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out why artist/the business is the way it is. My question is why even worry about shallow material? If u dont like it then dont mess with it. I don't need to understand any artist in order to make music i like. If im trying work with them then thats another story. I think we all know what we're making its not something u pow wow over to figure out. You've kinda come off as a person that doesn't like mainsteam/the business thats cool (i maybe wrong only read a few of ur post). So thats i why said hell just make your music why even bother worrying about what others are doing. Do what you like there is a big market out there.

Last edited:
I think an even bigger question is what happens when people stop supporting these kinds of things. Everything in hip hop and music repeats itself, so when people start getting tired of all the bling where will they run to. Remember their were groups like public enemy, tribe called quest. You know groups around the early nineties with the pro - afro american movement. They once were on top. Then we moved to the mid nineties. Death Row ruled and everyone was a gangster. You see it is a pattern that goes around in circles. I wonder whats next. Cause this will be interesting to see.

^^ true, either roll with the modern acts or get left behind thats the problem with alot of people they are locked in time.

I really think Jazz is gonna roll back here pretty soon (jazzy hiphop)

Jazzy hip hop.
Now wouldn't that be something
It's possible.
First lets consider that most rap artist only know the slim basics
of music theory. On the other hand, Jazz is very complex to play.
A hip hop jazz movement would get some of the cred from other genres cause many of them too scared too touch it. They also figure ain't no money in it.

even if "jazzy hip-hop" would be the next trend it still wouldnt get any cred because it would all be sampled . and jazzy hip hop is a bad idea.all it means is instead of a complete jazz session ,it will now be a small loop with a clap on it. and some of the plus sides of hiphop is that it does loop and is meant to be enjoyable by the non-musician, hiphop can be enjoyed by anyone, its not complicated. so we will either have " "simple jazz" or " complicated boring hip-hop"

Cyko said:
My question is why even worry about shallow material? If u dont like it then dont mess with it. I don't need to understand any artist in order to make music i like. If im trying work with them then thats another story. I think we all know what we're making its not something u pow wow over to figure out. You've kinda come off as a person that doesn't like mainsteam/the business thats cool (i maybe wrong only read a few of ur post). So thats i why said hell just make your music why even bother worrying about what others are doing. Do what you like there is a big market out there.
^^^^^I agree with what he said.

(Sighs) ... Every genre has it's backpacker artists and shallow artists get over it ... Also Ray Charles wasn't a rapper ... Comparison failure, 2 different time periods, genres, & generation of listeners ...

Last edited:
interesting

California said:
even if "jazzy hip-hop" would be the next trend it still wouldnt get any cred because it would all be sampled . and jazzy hip hop is a bad idea.all it means is instead of a complete jazz session ,it will now be a small loop with a clap on it. and some of the plus sides of hiphop is that it does loop and is meant to be enjoyable by the non-musician, hiphop can be enjoyed by anyone, its not complicated. so we will either have " "simple jazz" or " complicated boring hip-hop"

Point well taken.
I don't know. Hip Hop has got to do something. It is in trouble. Nelly and Tim Mcgraw didn't work. Rage Against the Machine was a Rock / Hip Hop act but the lyrics weren't all that good and didn't have any groove to them. We have the likes of Jill Scott, Erykah Badu who are R&B but you see where i'm going with this. So what is next. Music from Carnegie Hall.

bukky skywoker said:
Rage Against the Machine was a Rock / Hip Hop act but the lyrics weren't all that good and didn't have any groove to them.
What????? Are you on crack?!?!?!

Back