Why are most engineers jerks?

Why are you all defending the jerk engineers? Yuo all keep saying it's their passion, or they are fed up with other idiots and jerks. Why can't some engineers be jerks? It's normal, stop defending, and look at it realistically. Some are jerks just because they are jerks/emo. Same way you see a jerk desk lady, then another desk lady is as sweet as your grandma (the good grandmas).

Broken Friday said:
That's not it, that's just a sign that the person isn't really happy with what they do, or where they do. Plain and simple.
No, that's why people who work at jobs where people aren't pricks to them all day still manage to have attitudes. lol.

I'm sure there's Tax Auditors, Bodyguards/Security, D.E.A. and Correctional Officers(and don't forget professional figure skaters, lol) who love thier jobs, but they have to be pricks or get walked over. Same for engineers. Sometimes we have to be pricks to avoid being walked over. BTW, not all are pricks, I'm giving you the answer to why so many are.

I tend to like engineers and other technical-minded people. maybe the jerk is someone else, like someone who calls all people of one type unpleasant names.

Broken Friday said:
Why are you all defending the jerk engineers? Yuo all keep saying it's their passion, or they are fed up with other idiots and jerks. Why can't some engineers be jerks? It's normal, stop defending, and look at it realistically. Some are jerks just because they are jerks/emo. Same way you see a jerk desk lady, then another desk lady is as sweet as your grandma (the good grandmas).
Just to remind I didn't defend anyone I said some will be jerks because they are poeple just like anybody else but don't get it twisted that sometimes there attitudes may come on strong when they get into a recording session. Word is bond

Am I the only person that ever finds "jerks" hilarious?

I mean, if it wasn't for the jerks on this site cracking me up everyday, (both the hilariously informed ones, and the 16 year old know-nothings) I don't think I could make it through work with such an elated disposition.

Bitter, anger-filled, well thought out tirades are the best thing to ever happen to the internet!

Engineers have to go thru hell a lot of the times. You cats ever been in a studio and it turns into a babysitting job? Man, I refuse to lay my tracks with the lyricists being there. I'll set up at least 2 sessions... one for the track laying... the other to add lyrics... and maybe a 3rd session for mixdown with the engineer. It's easy to point the finger at the engineer, but from my standpoint... I know what most goes thru.

whare are all these pissed off producers? to say most engineers are jerks for 1 is untrue. 2 its thinking the wrong way about them (assuming we are talking about the same kind of people). if you are in my studio when i "dont have much to say" and im nice, holding back what i want to say. thats when im doing a bad job. most people dont hink about it but if your engineer is good you will allways keep yourself in line. cause he trains you as a musition to be better and not think so highly about yourself (99.99999% of all the artists). its ok for an engineer to be cocky if he or she is good. the only problem is if he/she is not good. then you go to another studio.

btw. that pic of the cat if funny as hell.

sellinbeats said:
whare are all these pissed off producers? to say most engineers are jerks for 1 is untrue. 2 its thinking the wrong way about them (assuming we are talking about the same kind of people). if you are in my studio when i "dont have much to say" and im nice, holding back what i want to say. thats when im doing a bad job. most people dont hink about it but if your engineer is good you will allways keep yourself in line. cause he trains you as a musition to be better and not think so highly about yourself (99.99999% of all the artists). its ok for an engineer to be cocky if he or she is good. the only problem is if he/she is not good. then you go to another studio.

btw. that pic of the cat if funny as hell.
Come to think of it every engineer I've met is safe. One of them gave me about 2 GB worth of free software and gave me advice about sample rates.

Why are people so sensitive?

I agree with Hosey, A$$HOLES are hillarious.

Broken Friday said:
That's why I idol Timbaland so much too, he has one of the coolest personalities.

REally? From what I've seen in interviews and quotes, he has a real high opinion of himself ("I'm too innovative for the music world").

Jerk, and complementing yourself are two different actions.

No one put a gun to emoneers heads and told them to be babysitters and get attitudes. I see some of you here being defensive and stuff. Some people are jerks, and have no reason to be. Being a jerk is a choice.

wan-tan-soup14 said:
REally? From what I've seen in interviews and quotes, he has a real high opinion of himself ("I'm too innovative for the music world").

This is a funny topic...I guess after considering it, most of the engineers I know are generally considered jerks or assholes by most people until one gets to know them. I say this in reference to the engineers who actually stay busy with work...I think it has a lot to do with the type of artists they are used to dealing with. With that said, many engineers started from scratch, recording anyone who could make a noise and pay(in the beginning--often free for recognition)...Anyway, its a struggle as most know that has little monetary reward. By nature creative types tend to be idealistic...dealing with the realities of the music business doesn't usually suit this sort of disposition. So a facade is built.

I am a ******* and a jerk whenever necessary (but I can't blame my experience in music as the sole contributor--sometimes I'm just an honery f*ck, lol)...and yes sometimes I do enjoy it...I think "professional" engineers feel the same way and probably have more reason for it than I do...lol

ALIASTrP said:
Because they run on coffee and red-bull? Or because they sit in 24 hour sessions?

They possibly have the hardest job, once its all said and done it s in their hands to present the final project, its like gettin the stick at the end of the relay race and loosing it for the team. Alot of pressure on 1 person.

Speaking from perspective I gotta agree w/ Alias. You gotta understand it's a one of the hardest jobs in the industry that comes w/ mad pressure. You make it bang you're God, if they are not happy the least bit you should stoned to death and never enter a studio again. On average from what I witnessed most don't go in respecting the engineer. They don't realize how critical of a piece he/she is to making a quality sounding record. So from what I seen most go off the BS they are fed from the door. But you gotta ask what are they dealing w/ on their side of the mixing console? Peace

Back