Why are Mac computers so popular among producers?

TBK_BEATS

Underground Producer
I mean seriously...you can run just about any application you could ever want (including Pro Tools) on a PC for less money. I dont get it. :confused:

honestly i think its a pyramid thing.
(Disclaimer: i have a mac)

- i think there are a few at the top of this pyramid that understand that the things to look for in a good DAW computer are ease of use, power (ram/processor/etc) and virus protection. and furthermore understand that for a long time, macs (being less common of the two) had a lot less viruses made for them (but this is changing now that they use pentium processors and stuff). while its true you can buy a pc for much cheaper these are usually the prices for "consumer models" with less power, and when you upgrade your going into the same pricerange of a mac with less virus protection (comparing a macbook pro to a basic hp with 256mb of ram isn't fair, try compairing an mbp to something from alienware).

- after this first tier its just a bunch of guys who buy macs because the first guys buy them (same thing some people here do with soft synths because [favorite producer] uses them lol)

- lastly there are a few that owe their choice to purchase a mac simply to good marketing. they don't wanna be the geeky p.c. in the glasses, but they do wanna be the cool mac in the cardigan sweater.

Mac computers are popular with people who want a reliable product. Extremely fast processor, American made, quality customer service. It's really a no brainer.

:bat:The reason WHY though is because macs ran Photoshop better for a few years back in the day when computers weren't monsters. It super cought on with graphic designers then further with final cut pro and indie pro sumer editors. It became trendy too and snowballed from there until the iPod came out and dominated. Then the iPhone obliterated.

Two myths: truly comparably equipped PC are not cheaper. Prices are similar.

Also PCs don't get more viruses than macs anymore since windows XP. Vista and 7 are both impenetrable just like macs now because they run a virtual runtime environment.

Last edited:
....When I took audio production we were taught on Mac's.....I also knew people who took graphic design classes and those classes were taught on the macs as well.

Maybe that has something to do with it?

its just the "cool" thing. your friend has one and you get one too.

honestly i think its a pyramid thing.
(Disclaimer: i have a mac)

- i think there are a few at the top of this pyramid that understand that the things to look for in a good DAW computer are ease of use, power (ram/processor/etc) and virus protection. and furthermore understand that for a long time, macs (being less common of the two) had a lot less viruses made for them (but this is changing now that they use pentium processors and stuff). while its true you can buy a pc for much cheaper these are usually the prices for "consumer models" with less power, and when you upgrade your going into the same pricerange of a mac with less virus protection (comparing a macbook pro to a basic hp with 256mb of ram isn't fair, try compairing an mbp to something from alienware).

- after this first tier its just a bunch of guys who buy macs because the first guys buy them (same thing some people here do with soft synths because [favorite producer] uses them lol)

- lastly there are a few that owe their choice to purchase a mac simply to good marketing. they don't wanna be the geeky p.c. in the glasses, but they do wanna be the cool mac in the cardigan sweater.

cosign with everything but not the price point. I have Quadcore that I bought in 2008 with a Quad running at 3.8 GHZ. That thing eats the new quadcore macs (2010) for breakfast and can reach the speed of an Octocore Mac (8 Cores). I spent $800 on that. Optimized the windows. Overclocked the CPU and the Ram. No single crash since then. Its a monster !!!

But at the same time I would recommend everyone who is not good with building pc's... choosing the right components and all the other work to get a mac. It just gonna save you lots of time and time may be money...

Last edited:
its just the "cool" thing. your friend has one and you get one too.

cosign with everything but not the price point. I have Quadcore that I bought in 2008 with a Quad running at 3.8 GHZ. That thing eats the new quadcore macs (2010) for breakfast and can reach the speed of an Octocore Mac (8 Cores). I spent $800 on that. Optimized the windows. Overclocked the CPU and the Ram. No single crash since then. Its a monster !!!

But at the same time I would recommend everyone who is not good with building pc's... choosing the right components and all the other work to get a mac. It just gonna save you lots of time and time may be money...

How many people are able to build their own PC? That's why Macs are great units. They offer superior product in a stylish simplified package. If people knew how to build their own PC desktop and laptop then no one would buy PCs or Macs from third party retailers. People would be running Linux on an extremely over clocked quad core processor.

Mac is more reliable and stable.

However, windows is more popular cuz you're used to the system.

i have a Macbook Pro running Logic 9 & ReCycle on it. I went through practically every type of PC and will never go back, by no means am i hating but just personal preference.

Mostly for Protools. Not LE, Protools HD. I think it's only been until recently that the HD system became compatible with the PC.

Not to mention Logic, which has been owned by Apple for a few years.

Most people learned on a mac, so why change now?

Not to mention the reason Windows crashes usually is because of poor memory allocation. when you use up most of your ram in windows, it freaks out and blue screen.

How many people are able to build their own PC? That's why Macs are great units. They offer superior product in a stylish simplified package. If people knew how to build their own PC desktop and laptop then no one would buy PCs or Macs from third party retailers. People would be running Linux on an extremely over clocked quad core processor.

yeah you got a point there. it's actually very easy but the majority of the people won't do the research. It's the same thing with hardware manuals. No one is really reading them.

Also PCs don't get more viruses than macs anymore since windows XP. Vista and 7 are both impenetrable just like macs now because they run a virtual runtime environment.

That's the funniest sh*t I ever heard. Vista and 7 are absolutely NOT impenetrable!!

More viruses exist for the PC than mac, simply because, Malware writers didn't waste their time with Mac's back in the day, because 90% of the computer world was run by PC's.

Mac's are unix based. Unix is an operating system, just like Windows is...only it's WAY more secure and WAY more stable.

To answer the homie's question, historically, Mac's handled multi-media applications better. The OS was more lightweight, leaving more of the computer's resources to do the actual work. Plus the fact that back then, Mac's used the PowerPC processor, which was a RISC processor (PC's used a CISC processor). The RISC processor was much more efficient, and therefore, faster.

Mac's now run on Intel processors.

PC is catching up. But as for right now, the stability on most Mac's vs PC is heavily weighted in the Mac's favor.

Actually the reason Mac are seemingly more secure is that hackers are generally Anti Establishment minded.

They hate the big wigs like Internet Explorer, Windows & Microsoft in general, so they spent their energy bringing those down or at least being a pest.

I myself never warmed up to MAcs not because they were not good but simply because there is a lot more software & hardware options for PC.

And to make my life a little easier I no longer use Internet Explorer for said reasons :)

vista and 7 can suck my ****

I use xp, I know it, and I know how to fix it. Vista and 7 are crap. Macs are WAY better than PCs, I only use PCs because I know them. I've been messing with PCs since the 8088. when Microsoft's only products was DOS

Back