who's aware of yasutaka nakata?

daebak

vocaloid enthusiast
do you know him? do you like his work?
he's my favourite producer, and inspires me a lot.
i especially like his work with perfume. what songs do you like from him?

Also just after I saw your thread I did a bit of digging and discovered the live edit of Take off by Perfume. Now that will be my DJ set intro :p
Do you know a few similar tracks (by Nakata or others)?

(and Kyary of course, whose producer is the same if i'm not mistaken)

do you know him? do you like his work?
he's my favourite producer, and inspires me a lot.
i especially like his work with perfume. what songs do you like from him?

There are so many songs by Perfume that are worth studying. To be honest, very few of the 75-odd songs he's written for them don't offer something exciting. With Perfume in particular, his productions range from sugary anime film music to full-on techno. The stand-outs will depend on what end of the spectrum you enjoy. You've got more than a decade's worth of music to go through. Some of the Perfume songs that are generally considered to be among the best are:

- Polyrhythm
- GAME
- Chocolate Disco
- Secret Secret
- love the world
- Dream Fighter
- edge
- Night Flight
- Laser Beam
- GLITTER
- Natural ni Koishite
- Spice
- Spring of Life
- Enter the Sphere
- Party Maker
- Point

Early classics are:

- Electro World
- Computer City

And the mostly-instrumental songs written for concert tours, as soundtracks to huge stage productions. It's worth finding these on YouTube:

- edge - triangle version (same as above)
- Perfume no Okite (Law of Perfume)
- JPN SPECIAL
- Party Maker (same as above)

I highly suggest looking for songs by MEG, too. He was even more experimental with her. MEG's albums Beam, Step, Beautiful, and Maverick are all Nakata productions, and several songs on Best Flight, a greatest hits and more compilation. I can go through those if someone requests it.

Also check out Ami Suzuki's Ten. It's an incredibly consistent and mature pop album, which is exactly what it should have been. the album marked her 10th anniversary in the music industry. He really delivered for her on that record.

Aside from these, there's his work with Kyary Pamyu Pamyu – all of her material is Nakata. He had a project with a fashion designer/singer called Coltemonikha, who had two albums. And, of course, Capsule, who just released a new album this month – their 15th since 2001.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Also just after I saw your thread I did a bit of digging and discovered the live edit of Take off by Perfume. Now that will be my DJ set intro :p
Do you know a few similar tracks (by Nakata or others)?

(and Kyary of course, whose producer is the same if i'm not mistaken)

Check out his duo "capsule"
I'm sure you'll find something great.
I reccomend the albums "Fruits Clipper" and "World of Fantasy"
But all of their albums are great really, though their earlier albums are more pop-ish. Fruits Clipper is the album that kicked off their electronic works.

Back